How Can Some People Actually Support Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 08:47 AM
RE: How Can Some People Actually Support Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?
I think his comment is how most people who do not have to deal with mental issues see suicide. They see it as the ultimate dodging of problems that could be treated. When friends and family say it they probably have feelings of hurt that a loved one bailed, from there point of view. Being in his position he probably should have kept his mouth closed. I did not actually see the comment so I do not know how it was delivered. The last thing a family needs when dealing with this is the outside world throwing stones.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 02:48 PM
RE: How Can Some People Actually Support Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?
Like many people have said here, depression and suicidal thoughts are things that are difficult for people to understand unless they've dealt with them personally either through battling through it themselves or being at the side of someone they deeply care about as they struggle. From the outside, it is easy to say, "get over it" or "so what go do something and you'll feel better" or "you don't need drugs for that!" Typically people don't understand what sort of a demon depression is and all the terrible things that tend to result from it. Even if you try to explain it, people don't always "get it". To them, it just looks like the person is simply sad and could easily bounce back if they really wanted to. Depression is a really terrible thing and I wish people would be more understanding just how damaging it really is to people or at least how belittling it doesn't make it better.

With that all said, the remarks that person made is not right, whether or not Williams was famous. Sure as hell they wouldn't say it in the room with the family, or I sure hope not. Even an apology in situations like that doesn't make everything right. Those are the sort of words that scar even if you try to put a bandaid over it.

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2014, 04:33 PM
(19-08-2014 03:47 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Let me start by saying that I chose to post this in this section because I know what it is like to suffer from depression, and this very much hits home for me. I had to deal with a lot of verbal abuse growing up. My mother never said anything to me unless it was something negative, and my own uncle disowned me because I have epilepsy and he said that the fact that I have epilepsy makes me weak. I know what it's like to feel alone, and feel like nobody would even give a damn if you chose to just end it all. So, when somebody calls a person a coward for this, I get incredibly angry.

A week after the classless asshole known as Shepard Smith called Robin Williams a coward because he committed suicide, there are still people defending his comments, and I don't know how anybody can defend such an insensitive thing for somebody to say. Depression is not something that people simply choose to have. You hear idiotic comments like "Well, I was depressed when my team lost the World Series. Get over it." Really? How fucking stupid can one be? I guess a lot of idiots have no idea what the difference is between disappointment and depression. Depression is not something that magically goes away. It's not a choice.

It is bad enough that his children have to suffer the loss of their father from suicide, but Shepard Smith has to take it a step further and call their father a coward on national television. How the fuck can anybody actually defend that kind of behavior? How the fuck do you think it makes his kids feel to hear somebody say something like that right after losing their father? I just don't understand how somebody could be so incredibly insensitive, and on top of it, have people agreeing with him for saying it.

People like Shepard Smith and his supporters seem to feel that because Robin Williams was a celebrity, it is somehow perfectly fine to make totally insensitive comments about the man as his family is grieving. Tell me, what would these people say if a loved one of theirs had committed suicide, and somebody told them that their loved one was a coward? They'd be saying "Fuck you! What the hell is the matter with you, going and saying that shit to me and to my family?! How insensitive can you possibly be?" However, because the victim is Robin Williams, all of a sudden his family doesn't deserve the same respect? That is such hypocritical bullshit.

Fox forced Shepard Smith to make an apology because of all the backlash it received from his idiotic and insensitive remarks, but the fact that he was forced to do it makes his apology worthless in my opinion. He also made the apology over an interview by Mediaite, when he really should have done it on the air in front of the millions that watched him make his heartless comment to begin with. That, in itself, is an act of cowardice on his part.

I know one thing for damn sure: Shepard Smith never would have had the balls to say that comment to the family of Robin Williams to their faces. Instead, he made those comments from a television studio, and to do a thing like that is an act of true cowardice. So the only real coward here is Shepard Smith. I'd be the first one to tell him that too, if I had the opportunity to meet him face-to-face.

Depression is not something that can be turned off with the flick of a switch. It is a real condition that people suffer from - it is not a choice. It's always easier to criticize when you're on the outside looking in - to simply say "Hey, get over it!" That's not how it works. People don't commit suicide out of disregard for others. They do it because they feel like there is no hope.

Those people are ignorant morons. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user