How DARE you become pregnant!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2013, 10:55 PM
How DARE you become pregnant!
This is as a result of a conversation which I had with my father earlier this evening. My dad is considerably conservative and likes Christian morals yet strangely is an atheist as well. In recent years I have moved far more left, not because I dislike what Republicans stand for but because of my absolute disdain for social conservatives. We've had our fair share of heated discussions about this (He's convinced there is a massive conspiracy to cover up the Benghazi attacks by the Obama Administration, I'm not). But we remain very close and no hard feelings between us.

The latest round was on abortion in which he made a curious comment on the subject and it sparked a response from me. He stated that he refused to support abortion because he felt killing babies was wrong and that these women should not become pregnant in the first place, which is to say they should not be having sex unless they're ready to become pregnant. He also suggested that the pregnancy should be carried to term as a consequence for failing to avoid becoming pregnant.

Now my personal position on abortion is as follows: I can see some of the logic in his comments. There are a lot of people who are fucking careless and do a lot of careless fucking without thinking about the consequences. I think that they are reckless when it comes to family planning and this hurts a lot of people. I am NOT in favor late term abortions or partial birth abortions, as I do view the fetus at this point as a self aware human being and you ARE killing it (there are, of course exceptions where the life of the mother is in danger).

But I also approve of early term abortions - because a zygote is not a self aware human being at that point - and that women should have the right to choose this option if she feels that they cannot carry the child to term or provide it with the care that it needs.

I find it shocking that people would want to enforce a pregnancy as some sort of punishment for lasciviousness. One of the biggest problems we face today as a society is unwanted children and unwanted pregnancies. Once they are born, these children are often neglected, abused physically and sexually, forgotten by social services, and treated as an underclass. This often serves as a foundation for all kinds of problems later on in life including bullying, criminal activity, substance abuse, perpetual consumption of welfare and other social services, and violence.

Pro life types love the idea of a little baby, then give no thought to what is required to properly care for it and bring up into a mature adult human who is well adjusted and responsible. Ask a militant pro lifer if, in order to save a life, they would be willing to adopt black crack baby born to an unwed mother in the inner city, and they'll either stare at you blankly or dodge the question altogether. I see a parallel between this and people who buy and want a puppy, play with it for 3 days then completely neglect it, eventually taking it to an animal shelter a few months later to get it off their hands. This also is a life that requires a long term plan for its care, not some cheap shit you buy at Wal Mart for or elsewhere for a temporary vanity. You can't just callously take these things into your life and forget them. They are your responsibility. They have feelings. They, too, have a right to a good life.

So kill them? No. Take responsibility for your life and prevent having an unwanted baby. And if you do become pregnant and decide you cannot care for a baby, end the pregnancy BEFORE that embryo becomes a baby.

Now I will admit that these tragedies are easy to prevent and any woman who would use abortion as the sole means of birth control ought to be ashamed of herself. But bringing a person into the world is a serious matter. You are embarking on an 18 year long, $400,000 investment in the future of the human race and if you're going to do it do it right.

But what happens if you don't intend to become pregnant, take measures like birth control, etc., yet do become pregnant?

Well if you can't care for a baby, EITHER END THE GODDAMN PREGNANCY EARLY OR BRING THE BABY TO TERM AND PUT IT UP FOR ADOPTION! And another thing, I'm getting really pissed off with this idea about being ashamed of sex and enjoying sex for reasons other than conceiving a child. Humans fuck, suck, lick, penetrate, and fellate for pleasure and for bonding with each other and a part of a healthy adulthood is sexual activity inside or outside of marriage. I am so sorry you religious types are so ashamed your own bodies and your desires but the rest of us aren't and just wish you would shut the fuck up so we can enjoy our orgasms and stop imposing your Puritanical self hatred on the rest of us. I get it: you're miserable. Your god is miserable. You made the choice to follow that asshole, you live with the boring moral code and the consequences. I just don't give a fuck. But when you callously use your vagina as a clown car and shit out children you can't take care of because you think god gave them to you, then I do give a fuck because, to borrow a rant from Adam Carolla, I PAY TAXES, BITCH! I don't want my hard earned money being pissed away on welfare for your brood when it could otherwise build bridges or bonuses for superior teachers. I'd like to walk the streets at night 20 years from now without having to be robbed at knifepoint by one of your nare do well kids who needs cash for his heroin fix for the evening.

So, no, I don't want some pregnant woman punished by being forced to have a baby she doesn't want to satisfy a bunch of nosy busybodies and men who can't stand the idea that women enjoy sex or because god doesn't like that. People need to be responsible with their reproductive habits, but they also need backup plans if things don't work out as they originally planned. Sex is also a good part of life and thanks to modern contraception it's much easier to control pregnancy and have a family when the time is right. If however it is decided early on that a pregnancy is ill advised at that point in life, you should have the option to terminate it then. It's all about being responsible, both for ourselves and the children we have or don't have.

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
10-07-2013, 11:32 PM
RE: How DARE you become pregnant!
I would like to first start by saying, you are correct, "life" ( Consciousness ) does not begin at conception. Studies have shown (See: for a news reference) it begins around 20 weeks. Memory and consciousness begin, and I fully trust this research . Before then , its nothing but flesh and involuntary cell growth ( I suppose it all us, yeh ? ) . Drinking Beverage

As for the notion of punishment for mistakenly conceiving a fetus , that is absurd if you mean punishing the womens rights. Everyone should be cautious when practicing as you said, the natural animal behavior of sexual bonding. If the Christian whackos believe sex is fit till after marriage why do we become sexual mature at ages as young as 10( I am not condoning sex at this age at all) ? Oh that is right, they believe in a book which condones marrying 10 year old in most cases. Forgive me.

Bottom line, be safe, abort before 20 weeks, set up adoption plans if you are slow enough to not make a decision before then. Smile

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
14-07-2013, 11:46 PM
The way I see it - if you ain't paying or living that woman's life then it's none of your business. -shrugs-

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
15-07-2013, 12:20 AM
My parents used to get upset when I would call my unborn parasites and zygotes. As a host, I decide what can and cannot be in my body. Definitely no worms or botfly larva (ew!). A zygote I have to raise for 18+ years if I let it stay.

Every situation is different. I have a friend who had to abort due to her medication (epileptic/bi-polar). I had a friend who aborted for strong religious conflict out of wedlock (muslim). I had a friend who adopted from a teen pregnancy. I have family that kept their baby and struggled but ended up alright. I have a cousin who sees his child once or twice a year and has been in and out of jail. My first child was an unplanned pregnancy and I can't imagine this world without her, she is amazing.

No one should judge any of these situations, or the countless more there are. It's not black and white and choosing is the freedom to understand that.

Life is precious, yes, but human life is not in jeopardy. We have some pretty amazing stats. We may not be important to everyone but to one we are important... or not, if you're an aborted zygote Confused But a zygote would never know that, would it?