How Did You Come to Sign Up to the Forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2013, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 02:01 AM by Dark Light.)
How Did You Come to Sign Up to the Forum?
Some stories are surely more interesting than others. Mine is rather boring. Just curious. I have seen many people say that they got here after hearing Seth's podcast. Me? I had just found my political identity less than a year before and was googling some search term related to it when I stumbled into the political section of this forum. Since I considered myself an Atheist for over a decade it seemed a natural fit. The folks here seemed reasonably intelligent and willing to discuss things, so I just stayed. I think I made it to about a thousand posts before I even checked out the podcast (sorry). I don't know Seth's story in detail. Never read his book, but I like the podcast, and I think just having a community of skeptics a place to chat freely is an important and incredible service. Thumbsup

How'd you fine folks wind up here?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 01:45 AM
RE: How Did You Come to Sign Up to the Forum?
Me?
After spending about a year watching all manner of atheist, irreligious and science videos on YouTube (I finally got interesting in my life long disbelief), I finally found enough patience to sit through a video, comprised of one picture and an hours worth of audio, by a YouTuber called "The Thinking Atheist". He mentioned his site and the Facebook community and his forum. I put it off for a few weeks. Then, after another of these "podcasts" I signed up, did an intro in the Intro thread and forgot the forum existed.

Time-skip a month or so ahead, my reign of bad jokes, ignorant responses and incredibly poor grammar, truly began. (I like to think that at the very least, my grammar has improved)

[Edit: Side-Note] You say you didn't have not read Seth's book? It's a pretty entertaining read.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
11-07-2013, 01:46 AM
(11-07-2013 01:21 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Some stories are surely more interesting than others. Mine is rather boring. Just curious. I have seen many people say that they got here after hearing Seth's podcast. Me? I had just found my political identity less than a year before and was googling some search term related to it when I stumbled into the political of this forum. Since I considered myself an Atheist for over a decade it seemed a natural fit. The folks here seemed reasonably intelligent and willing to discuss things, so I just stayed. I think I made it to about a thousand posts before I even checked out the podcast (sorry). I don't know Seth's story in detail. Never read his book, but I like the podcast, and I think just having a community of skeptics a place to chat freely is an important and incredible service. Thumbsup

How'd you fine folks wind up here?

Used to listen to the podcasts at work plus checked out the website just after the Reason Rally to get involved.
11-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Watched some Dawkins and some Hitchslaps on Youtube.
Read god Is Not Great.
Read some other books
Watched some more Youtube.
Then there was a bunch of videos with the same logo, but their audioquality sucked.
But after a while I ended up listening anyway during gaming.
They were actually pretty good.
Looked at the site and the vids here a couple times.
And boom.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
11-07-2013, 02:27 AM
First came here after listening to the podcasts.

I've always found the forum to be a fantastic resource for support, guidance and inspiration.

I also feel 'normal' here, rather than the 'resident pagan' which is how I feel when I'm round my very religious family.

Coming here makes me feel comfortable in my own skin. It gives me the opportuntiy to slap (or support others in the slapping of) the visiting theists in a safe environment which is both refreshing and good practice for when religion inevitably comes up at family gatherings.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 2 users Like Shannow's post
11-07-2013, 03:07 AM
I listened to the podcasts for several months before joining the forums. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing on the second time looking at the forum (first time through I hadn't seen anything interesting enough to register to talk about). I actually registered because there was a politics section and at the time I didn't have anyone to talk politics with (it was right around when DOMA and Prop 8 were being argued in front of the SCOTUS).

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-07-2013, 03:07 AM
That's interesting Shannow. You're British - I thought the Brits killed God and kept what's left in a jar for scientific purposes ?

For me... a friend posted a link on facebook to the pics for a laugh about religion thread. I went and had a look and laughed my ass off for hours. Then I went back and read Buddy Christ's Bible thread and it was so good that I signed up specifically so that I could post in it and thank him.

This was the first time I'd ever considered membership of a forum, I had no idea what to expect. I'd once read a few threads on 4chan so I really thought I was gonna have a tough time. Anyway I stuck around for a bit and answered a few posts...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-07-2013, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 08:03 AM by Logica Humano.)
My transition from Christianity to Atheism was a personal emotional roller coaster ride for me, full of uncertainty and anger. A year afterward, I wanted to express my feelings about this topic matter. I came to this forum simply to debate, but in the process grew attached to the people and their personalities here.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
11-07-2013, 05:28 AM
(11-07-2013 03:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  That's interesting Shannow. You're British - I thought the Brits killed God and kept what's left in a jar for scientific purposes ?

Yeah...my parents/uncles/brother/sister/counsins/neices missed the memo.

You're right, it's largely secular over here (increasingly so) but the church still has a fair amount of political traction, as does the Muslim faith which is deeply frustrating in the 21st century.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
11-07-2013, 05:36 AM
I came here for the bitches.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post