How Do I Do 'Business Casual' the Proper Way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: How Do I Do 'Business Casual' the Proper Way?
This makes me appreciate my job. We are allowed to wear casual clothes. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Depends.

Is your business ...
Gym / sports related?
Life-guard?
Prostitution?

05-01-2014, 08:11 AM
My vote is hes working the circus.
05-01-2014, 08:11 AM
I just noticed that I dont own a suit or tie or any lind of "professional buisness clothes".

Just a tuxido that I wore at a friends wedding.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
05-01-2014, 08:13 AM
I might add one more note,for men, wear dress socks that color match and dont go without them. For women, if wearing a skirt or dress, wear matching hose or nude/tan colors. Bare legs and feet give a lazy impression for either sex.
05-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Every business has a "corporate culture".

You need to take a peek at the people who work there now before you invest in any clothing. Make sure they don't have a scheduled day where everyone shows up in Jeans and a Tshirt and you happen to see that first...

A lot of the online type businesses do wear jeans and Tshirts all the time. Others wear slacks, shirts and jackets. Then you have the ones with ties but not suits. And so on. You don't know until you see.

In my business, most people wore pajamas or worked in the nude - since they all worked from home. Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Assume a highish standard and work your way down based on what you see various people in the office wearing. Start with a full suit in any interview. Observe what the interviewers are wearing. When you start, start with what they were wearing and work your way down from there. For example, start with dress pants, business shirt and tie. If no one wears ties, lose yours by lunchtime. Gradually let your dress fall in line with the corporate norm over the next few weeks.

Standards vary country to country, city to city, and industry to industry. HobbitGirl's guide looks correct for where I am and the work I do. Polo is acceptable in my workplace, but not common - if they're going to come out it's usually on a Friday. Black dress shoes would be considered standard.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
05-01-2014, 09:25 AM
"Business Casual" is not casual. It's just not a suit.

Dress shoes, dress pants, dress shirt, tie/no tie. That's the safest definition.

In some companies it can be "not athletic shoes, not jeans, not t-shirt, what's a tie?"

Then there is the question of "Casual Friday". Consider

I liked Hafnof's advice.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2014, 09:37 AM
(05-01-2014 08:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Depends.

Is your business ...
Gym / sports related?
Life-guard?
Prostitution?

Yes. How did you know? Tongue

I'm in the Information Technology industry - government contracts.

(05-01-2014 08:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Assume a highish standard and work your way down based on what you see various people in the office wearing. Start with a full suit in any interview. Observe what the interviewers are wearing. When you start, start with what they were wearing and work your way down from there. For example, start with dress pants, business shirt and tie. If no one wears ties, lose yours by lunchtime. Gradually let your dress fall in line with the corporate norm over the next few weeks.

Standards vary country to country, city to city, and industry to industry. HobbitGirl's guide looks correct for where I am and the work I do. Polo is acceptable in my workplace, but not common - if they're going to come out it's usually on a Friday. Black dress shoes would be considered standard.

According to my brother in-law who works there (though I do love him, I would not exactly follow his fashion sense) no one wears ties. Not the junior guys, not the managers, no one. I considered wearing one on my first day to show that I that I don't assume everything is very lax - but I don't want to look like an ass either, so maybe not?

-

Thanks to all. I think I will be returning a few things I bought perhaps a bit prematurely. I did get a couple of pairs of slacks, but other than that I got a couple of pairs of dress pants, which MSBB has said is a no-no. Fine by me, slacks are cheaper than a nice pair of dress pants anyhow. I also got a couple of quality polos, which is something I'd normally never wear, but I may just 'wait and see' on that front, as I would never buy or wear the short sleeved dress shirts which I think looks dorky, and if it isn't out of place, a polo here and there would be nice during the summer months. I think I'm set for now in the dress shirt department anyhow. I already owned several quality dress shirts, and added a few oxford button ups to my collection as well. On the shoe front I have classic black leathers, and brown capped lace up leather dockers.

05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
(05-01-2014 09:37 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 08:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Depends.

Is your business ...
Gym / sports related?
Life-guard?
Prostitution?

Yes. How did you know? Tongue

I'm in the Information Technology industry - government contracts.

(05-01-2014 08:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Assume a highish standard and work your way down based on what you see various people in the office wearing. Start with a full suit in any interview. Observe what the interviewers are wearing. When you start, start with what they were wearing and work your way down from there. For example, start with dress pants, business shirt and tie. If no one wears ties, lose yours by lunchtime. Gradually let your dress fall in line with the corporate norm over the next few weeks.

According to my brother in-law who works there (though I do love him, I would not exactly follow his fashion sense) no one wears ties. Not the junior guys, not the managers, no one. I considered wearing one on my first day to show that I that I don't assume everything is very lax - but I don't want to look like an ass either, so maybe not?

-

Thanks to all. I think I will be returning a few things I bought perhaps a bit prematurely. I did get a couple of pairs of slacks, but other than that I got a couple of pairs of dress pants, which MSBB has said is a no-no. Fine by me, slacks are cheaper than a nice pair of dress pants anyhow. I also got a couple of quality polos, which is something I'd normally never wear, but I may just 'wait and see' on that front, as I would never buy or wear the short sleeved dress shirts which I think looks dorky, and if it isn't out of place, a polo here and there would be nice during the summer months. I think I'm set for now in the dress shirt department anyhow. I already owned several quality dress shirts, and added a few oxford button ups to my collection as well. On the shoe front I have classic black leathers, and brown capped lace up leather dockers.

Dress pants are not a no-no.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post