How Do I Do 'Business Casual' the Proper Way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: How Do I Do 'Business Casual' the Proper Way?
:/ Okay, then. I feel like I'm running into the same problems all over again. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as business casual and the world is just playing a joke on me. I yearn for the days when business was business and casual was casual.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
05-01-2014, 09:59 AM
(05-01-2014 09:56 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  :/ Okay, then. I feel like I'm running into the same problems all over again. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as business casual and the world is just playing a joke on me. I yearn for the days when business was business and casual was casual.

It's a whole lot easier when you just know what uniform to wear, isn't it?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Oh, I re-read MSBB post. She didn't say dress pants are a no-no; she said cuffs on pants for business casual are a no-no. I must've gotten confused, as my dress pants are cuffed...eh, what do they call that overseas...turn-ups? When the bottom is hemmed so that there is a fold to prevent fraying and add weight to bottom so it drapes correctly.

@Anjele...Yes

05-01-2014, 10:10 AM
In my mind, "slacks" and "dress pants" are the same thing.

Here's how I rank lower body covering in descending order:

-tuxedo pants (formal)
-suit pants (professional)
-slacks or dress pants (business casual)
-khakis (casual)
-clean jeans (casual)
-lived in jeans (come as you are)
-shorts (California casual)

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
05-01-2014, 10:22 AM
(05-01-2014 09:56 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  :/ Okay, then. I feel like I'm running into the same problems all over again. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as business casual and the world is just playing a joke on me. I yearn for the days when business was business and casual was casual.

There was never such a time. History is romanticized to make us feel like it was more enlightened. It was not.

Listen to your brother in law. The next time you interview, pay attention to what your future coworkers are wearing and plan to emulate them.

Best of luck in your new endeavor.
05-01-2014, 10:25 AM
I've had two jobs where the dress code was business casual but they also provided us with literature that specifically stated which items were acceptable and which weren't. Did they seriously just tell you "dress business casual!" and leave it at that? What dicks!

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
05-01-2014, 10:28 AM
(05-01-2014 10:06 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Oh, I re-read MSBB post. She didn't say dress pants are a no-no; she said cuffs on pants for business casual are a no-no. I must've gotten confused, as my dress pants are cuffed...eh, what do they call that overseas...turn-ups? When the bottom is hemmed so that there is a fold to prevent fraying and add weight to bottom so it drapes correctly.

@Anjele...Yes

And cuffs are not a no-no. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2014, 10:38 AM
(05-01-2014 10:10 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  In my mind, "slacks" and "dress pants" are the same thing.

Here's how I rank lower body covering in descending order:

-tuxedo pants (formal)
-suit pants (professional)
-slacks or dress pants (business casual)
-khakis (casual)
-clean jeans (casual)
-lived in jeans (come as you are)
-shorts (California casual)

I was equating dress pants with suit pants. Maybe my terminology is wrong. Like I said, this is new territory to me. The way I was using slacks was to mean what you were calling dress pants/slacks.

So, lose the suit pants then?

(05-01-2014 10:22 AM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  Listen to your brother in law. The next time you interview, pay attention to what your future coworkers are wearing and plan to emulate them.

Paying attention to my co-workers wasn't an option. I saw the receptionist, and my interviewer. For security purposes, it isn't an 'open' environment.

(05-01-2014 10:25 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I've had two jobs where the dress code was business casual but they also provided us with literature that specifically stated which items were acceptable and which weren't. Did they seriously just tell you "dress business casual!" and leave it at that? What dicks!

I'm sub-contracted...so I have a very general dress code that basically says 'business casual' that doesn't actually tell me shit about the place I'll really be working for. I've asked the headhunters who hunted my head, and they were about as helpful as the packet. I'm presuming I'll get an additional new hire packet my first day, but it's a bit late to start building your wardrobe by that point.

05-01-2014, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 12:23 PM by DLJ.)
Oh, it's IT.

Wear what the fuck you like.

Think of it this way...
Imagine a serious environment... boardroom, law court etc. What would you wear?
Imagine being home-casual. What would you wear?
Now imagine you were meeting people who you didn't know in a bar or club to talk business... that's Business Casual.

But IT? You'll be in jeans by the end of the week.

Meanwhile ...

05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
(04-01-2014 11:57 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  For the first time in my life, I will be working in an office environment that doesn't require me to wear a standard uniform...and I don't really know what I am doing.

I already had a couple of nice suits, a handful of dress shirts, a pair of dress shoes, and a few ties. I know how to do 'Business'. As it turns out, I do not know how to do 'business casual'.

I've recently bought a reasonable amount of stuff to get me started. Hopefully I haven't wasted my money, but I really don't know. I have read perhaps 20 articles on how to dress 'business casual', but most of the articles seem to conflict with each other. I'm perhaps more confused than ever. Below are some of the conflicts I have seen, please weigh in.

Trousers - Some say Dress Pants are too dressy, some say use only dress pants. Some say no cuffed pants, some make no mention. Some say Nice, dark unadorned jeans are good, some say never. Also, to pleat, or not to pleat?

Shirts - The biggest issue here is polo shirts. Some say yes, some say no, some say in warm weather, some say non-moister-wicking polo's, year-round.

Shoes - Some say dress shoes, one or two said some other boot-like hybrid, one said capped shoes are a no-no, one said loafers with tassels will impress the old boss, but make you look odd among your peers.

Ties - Some say to 'dress for the job you want', while others say you'll be over-dressed and stick out like a sore thumb.

Coat - Okay to wear a suit coat in cold weather, or not? Change for a sport coat? Outer coat only? No one seems to agree with anything except for a sweater.

Hat - Can I wear my favorite hats outside? They aren't baseball caps, but kind of like a newsboy hat or driver hat.

Thanks to anyone for any solid advice.

Business Casual (for about the past 25 yrs) = khakis and a nice shirt - male or female.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.