How Do I Do 'Business Casual' the Proper Way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 04:51 PM
RE: How Do I Do 'Business Casual' the Proper Way?
I can't believe the farmer has to take care of this. Ugh.

(04-01-2014 11:57 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  For the first time in my life, I will be working in an office environment that doesn't require me to wear a standard uniform...and I don't really know what I am doing.

I already had a couple of nice suits, a handful of dress shirts, a pair of dress shoes, and a few ties. I know how to do 'Business'. As it turns out, I do not know how to do 'business casual'.

I've recently bought a reasonable amount of stuff to get me started. Hopefully I haven't wasted my money, but I really don't know. I have read perhaps 20 articles on how to dress 'business casual', but most of the articles seem to conflict with each other. I'm perhaps more confused than ever. Below are some of the conflicts I have seen, please weigh in.

Trousers - Some say Dress Pants are too dressy, some say use only dress pants. Some say no cuffed pants, some make no mention. Some say Nice, dark unadorned jeans are good, some say never. Also, to pleat, or not to pleat?
Dress pants are NOT too dressy. You don't need to restrict yourself to them, but you don't need anything else. That said, variety is nice.
No to jeans, and no to cuffs, but that's simply because neither look good.
Pleats? Don't be ridiculous. There is no reason for a grown man living in 2014 to walk around wearing pleated pants. Just don't.
Own several belts. A quality belt is not terribly expensive and will last a long time. Having many allows a man to accessorize, which is difficult to do without risking a "feminine" look. It (sort of) replaces the tie in BC. (See "ties" below)
Quote:Shirts - The biggest issue here is polo shirts. Some say yes, some say no, some say in warm weather, some say non-moister-wicking polo's, year-round.

I assume you are referring to "golf shirts", and not the Polo brand.
The fact is, they are simply an excuse to wear a tee shirt. I don't wear them, and neither should you.
Quote:

Shoes - Some say dress shoes, one or two said some other boot-like hybrid, one said capped shoes are a no-no, one said loafers with tassels will impress the old boss, but make you look odd among your peers.

You cannot fail here. Just follow one simple rule....wear the nicest shoes you have that fit your outfit. You can't over-dress shoes.

Quote:Ties - Some say to 'dress for the job you want', while others say you'll be over-dressed and stick out like a sore thumb.

Twice to three times a week.

Quote:Coat - Okay to wear a suit coat in cold weather, or not? Change for a sport coat? Outer coat only? No one seems to agree with anything except for a sweater.

It is never inappropriate to dress for the weather. A suit coat is fine with a suit, which I would suggest wearing once in a while. Find an excuse, twice a month, to wear a suit. I don't know the nature of the job, but anything from meeting a client, to getting a review from your boss. A suit on occasion may make you stand out, but if you are confident, you'll stand out in a good way. Just don't over do it.

Quote:Hat - Can I wear my favorite hats outside? They aren't baseball caps, but kind of like a newsboy hat or driver hat.

Hell yes. Obviously no ball caps or straw cowboy hats, but absolutely, wear a hat (outdoors). It's a chance to show some personal style. Trust your judgement.

Quote:Thanks to anyone for any solid advice.

No problem. Cool

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Here, maybe this helps:
[Image: Dress_Chart_(Fashion)_1902.jpg]

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
06-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Go in dressed with slacks and a button up, and maybe even a tie on your first day or first week (no jacket). Get a feel for the office environment, and when you feel comfortable, change your attire to match the norm.

It's pretty hard to overdress for an interview or for your first day of work!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-01-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm sure you'd do fine just going in a g-string. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
06-01-2014, 06:01 PM
(06-01-2014 05:53 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'm sure you'd do fine just going in a g-string. Tongue

You might want to check the weather first...just sayin'.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-01-2014, 06:15 PM
(06-01-2014 06:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 05:53 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'm sure you'd do fine just going in a g-string. Tongue

You might want to check the weather first...just sayin'.

Yeah, chapped ass is the worst! No
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
06-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Note also that as a subcontractor you might want to keep your standard of dress just a touch above the employee standard. Not enough to show them up, but enough to give the impression of extra professionalism. As a contractor these people are your customers, not simply your coworkers.

I.e nice shoes, nice pants, nice belt. Maybe even a tie. Maintain a consistent look.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
14-01-2014, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 12:11 PM by Dark Light.)
Thanks to all for the advice. You may have conflicting one another at times, but after reading your advice, and actual going shopping again, I decided which ideas I liked, and which ones I'll pass on. I have much more confidence in my wardrobe now. I returned four pairs of pants, and a polo shirt which I had bought, and hit the end of the year clearance racks once again. Being smaller than the average man, I will have to get virtually all of my pants tailored, along my my sports coats, but I've built myself a tolerable wardrobe for only a few hundred dollars.

I have several slacks in various shades of brown and blue - still looking for a nice grey pair or two. They are comprised of several different materials and weaving methods, but I'm happy with all of them. None have pleats, nor cuffs. One is off being tailored now, but I will need to get a few more done as well.

I had several dress shirts already, but I added several - including one or two that aren't quite formal enough for a suit. I'm particularly fond of a nice Herrgingbone weaved green button up that I would never wear with a suit, but looks great with some slacks.

I kept the capped toed brown leathers, and I've determined look great.

I also bought a sport coat and a blazer. Neither were that expensive considering most start out in the $200-250 range. One of them, I am happy to say, I got because a local department store that was trying to get rid of the small sizes which didn't sell very well, but fit me nicely aside from the sleeves being a bit too long (will be tailored). After severely reducing the price to $40, and still not selling it, they practically gave it to my at 30 bucks. It's hard to find a good dress shirt for that.

I decided to keep a couple of polo's. If the dress atmosphere allows for it, I may give them a go this summer, and if not, fuck it, I won't wear them to work.

Aside from tailoring all I need is some more dress socks. Thanks again to all for your thoughts on this matter.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
14-01-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm starting a new job tomorrow, no real dresscode, just representable free-time clothing.
I'm wearing a brand new expensive suit for a good first impression though Big Grin

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
14-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Personally I think asking people to shower regularly and use deodorant daily is far more important.
A turd in a suit still stinks like shit.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 2 users Like Caveman's post