How Do They Do It?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2014, 05:40 PM
How Do They Do It?
The thing that baffles me the most about theists is their ability to ignore or deny the evidence, facts, logic and reason when its laid before them in the most comprehensive manner. It's almost as if you and the theist are literally viewing or hearing completely different things when presented identical information.

What's their secret???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2014, 05:58 PM
RE: How Do They Do It?
(10-11-2014 05:40 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  What's their secret???

Denial. From the Answers In Genesis statement of faith:

Quote:By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
10-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Epic denial:

Were the pyramids built before the Great Flood?

They simply dismiss inconvenient things like facts as "secular".

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
10-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Evidence is cold and unbiased.
Religious belief is warm and fuzzy.
Sheeple have a herd mentality that keeps them from thinking independently.
One of us, One of us...
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
10-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Because evidence, logic, and facts are Satan in disguise.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
10-11-2014, 07:02 PM
(10-11-2014 06:06 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Epic denial:

That article was painful.

How can a person that can read and write above a 3rd grade level come up with this? It's intentionally deceptive.

Are we sure Answers in Genesis isn't one big giant Poe?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
10-11-2014, 07:11 PM
(10-11-2014 07:02 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 06:06 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Epic denial:

That article was painful.

How can a person that can read and write above a 3rd grade level come up with this? It's intentionally deceptive.

Are we sure Answers in Genesis isn't one big giant Poe?

Quite sure, unfortunately.

One of the top bloggers there is Ken Ham, the guy who runs the creation museum and is trying to build that Ark theme park.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
10-11-2014, 09:12 PM
They are taught that the denial of evidence is a virtue. It is a virtue to do all of the following in fact.

1. Faith - If you believe in something without evidence. Its a virtue.
2. Any other faith, any other belief, any other idea, any other ideology, scientific fact, word spoken by or written by a human that contradicts your beliefs or what is written in the bible in any possible way is automatically wrong no matter how strong the evidence is, therefor you must deny it all as truth, even if your convinced that it is true.

So, there you have it. That is the secret. To sum it up in a short and easy list.

1. Denial
2. Stupidity
3. If the two above do not work, more denial.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
11-11-2014, 07:11 AM
(10-11-2014 05:40 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  What's their secret???

Cognitive dissonance and its little brother, Compartmentalization.

I speak from experience on this one. Generally speaking, people don't like being wrong. Sometimes, people hold multiple ideas that are inherently contradictory. When the person realizes this, it's psychologically uncomfortable. The logical way to deal with that is to abandon one of the two contradictory ideas, but that shit is hard. So, what happens more often than not is the people either don't think about it (God works in mysterious ways || Who are you to question God? || SATANBEGONE!) or they create an illusion to try to remove the contradiction (There is evil because of free will, and it is important for an all-knowing God to give us free will || The Trinity is three entities under one Godhead, but that's not polytheism).
11-11-2014, 08:13 AM
I would like to add to the already good and correct answers on here that when it comes to defending their faith (especially young earth creationists) the biggest key is to not look at the totality of the evidence.

I sat through a small group class for 6 weeks that was titled "Science and the bible" at the urging of my pastor because I told him I thought it was all bullshit. This class ended up being a answers in genesis sales pitch.

I kept my mouth shut for most of it, but I have did ask them for the answers on the fossils in different layers, plus the amount of water needed for the flood. It was mind boggling how they explained that if the waters rose slowly then the animals would die in different layers as some will get to higher ground than others, but then to answer lack of water problem they said that all the water from the ground sprung up at once, and water from the sky fell down at once.

It is like 6th grade math, where you have to solve for two variables x and y in a system of equations. There will be multiple answers that fit each of the equations, but only one answer fits BOTH equations, and that is the correct answer. They find answers that fit one equation at a time and ignore everything else at that point, then move on to the next question. It's very convenient for them, and they feel like they have the knowledge to back up the answers that they already have.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.