• 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2011, 04:40 AM

How Do We Know The Earth Is 4.5m Years Old
I mean, seriously. How?
I just don't fucking know.
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2011, 05:01 AM
RE: How Do We Know The Earth Is 4.5m Years Old
The earth is approximately 4.56 billion years old not 4.5 million. And can be determined by radio carbon dating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Not carbon dating but other radiometric dating techniques. These include U-Th-Pb (Uranium-Thorium-Lead), Rb-Sr (Rubidium-Strontium), Sm-Nd (Samarium-Neodymium) and K-Ar (Potassium-Argon). What geologists do is look for the oldest rocks and the oldest minerals on the planet and they use one or more (often they use U-Th-Pb because there are two isotopes of U that can be dated so it is two in one) of these radiometric "clocks" to determine its age. The ages are not 4.56 billion years old because it would have been several hundred million years before the surface of the Earth would have been cool enough to preserve the minerals formed. Another technique is to age date the moon. The Earth and the Moon are approximately the same age. The planetoid that existed preEarth was struck by a Mars sized body that nearly destroyed it. The hypothesis is that it hit the ProtoEarth at an angle and caused material from both celestial bodies to be ejected into space (it hit the ProtoEarth so hard it even removed material from the core!). This ejected material condensed into the moon. Since the moon is so much smaller it cooled much more rapidly so by age dating the rocks on the surface of the moon we get a better idea of how old both the Earth and the Moon are!

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-07-2011, 01:59 PM

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
18-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I found out in school. Good old learnin'

Plus ... Here tells you how too, whoopy

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2011, 05:06 AM

haha sorry guys, I'm studying in PH. And like, they don't teach us this at school. Are you guys sure that those rocks are 3 million years older. If so, how sure?
Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Do you understand the difference between 3 million and 3 BILLION? It 3-4 BILLION years old, not million. Smile And no, we are not sure, but the scientist who study those rocks are pretty sure, now it is just a matter of trust, do you trust them and their theories and studies, or you don't... So it is up to you to read and watch some documentaries, so you decide for yourself what you believe. Time to hit the books, dawg!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
19-07-2011, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2011 09:08 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
I have held some of these rocks and I work at a university where they use these techniques to date the ages of rocks. The instruments that are being used by this University and every other go through rigorous testing to measure as precise as technologically possible the amounts of each isotope present in any given sample in order to reproduce accurate ages. The other point to make is that it is not one machine producing these values, it is not one person nor one school producing these values, it is not one company building these machines and it is not a single sample that the ages come from. Instead these are ages determined by numerous individuals at numerous institutions using different machines from different companies...and they ALL get these older ages. The half-lives of these elements (the fundametal 'clock' for each radioactive element that we use to measure the time) are also empirically derived by numerous scientists at numerous universities using machines built by different companies. I have never seen nor read any valid argument against these ages. The only argument against I have found is an organization called RATE. These 'scientists' do not produce peer-reviewed material nor do they use falsifiable hypotheses to run tests on. In short what they do is not science. And the only way they can get the ages to agree with their point of view is to bend the laws of physics.
SO...yea....pretty sure. But don't take my word for it....read...and take classes on it.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info TheBeardedDude
21-07-2011, 07:43 AM
I am currently reading Dawkins' "Greatest Show on Earth" and he does a very good explanation on how the Earth has been dated, including the various elements, an overview on the chemistry of isotopes and how they degrade and the speed that takes to reach the half-life. It's a few pages long so it's obviously a very high level overview, but it does a great job summarizing the science and the conclusions.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost