How Do You Define a Good Person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 10:58 PM
How Do You Define a Good Person?
Just something I've been thinking about in the past few days . . .

So the consensus on here is essentially that morality is subjective. To an extent I agree with that in that you can't make a blanket statement and say that one thing is always right or wrong (except for in the case of rape. That is one thing that I can not see any instance where it could be justified. Well that and cheating.), but there are some general things that I think that most people can agree on. Say, for example, that murder killing people just for funsies isn't moral.

Anyways that bit of rambling brings me to my questions:

What is your own personal definition of a good person?

For me, a good person is someone who does there best to help people in need and those around them, is a generally honest and nice person, and abides by the general don't cheat, steal, murder, rape stuff. Of course there are instances where the general stuff becomes not immoral. It's not ideal, but doing it isn't wrong, like killing someone who is going to kill your family.

Can we actually define what makes a good person in general?

I think that there are some things that we can say make someone a good person, but you can't put too much definition to it. You can try and define it as someone who makes the lives of others better, but I don't think you can get much more specific than that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: How Do You Define a Good Person?
I would take a gander at that. A good person is one who tries their hardest to not be a dick. If said person is ever harsh or condescending to another, it's only because the person the harshness is directed towards is being a dick.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
07-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Every day I'm leaning more and more to the idea that there is no IS in anybody, there isn't a good person there are people who do good, the same way for bad. We're not some essence manifested in a body, we're a body that acts, and we made up this essence thingy to simplify our communication or our thinking about the world.
But at some point we forgot that "being" is just a bottom-line and now we think there's is something good or bad inside us (whatever "inside" means).

TL;DR: A good person is someone who makes mostly good things

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
08-01-2014, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 01:10 AM by sporehux.)
Someone who you "feel' is nice too you and others without ulterior motivation. (other than it makes them feel good to be good).
People have exemptions for "goodness" though. ive notice most Pentecostals I hang with will still think someone is "good" even if they preach hatred against minorities.

So everyone has a template for "goodness", mine has no exemptions/clauses that come to mind so i come to see very few completely "good" people around, but that makes it more special to find these people and cherish them.

I can only think of 2 people I know out of the thousands i have meet in 40+ years that are genuinely good (no elitism/bigotry/racism/self-absorption) and now I think about it, I know not what religious/irreligious persuasion they have.

To think GOD is good let alone the pinnacle of goodness is to have an exemption list this thick.
[Image: polls_BXP64677_3829_33217_poll_xlarge.jpeg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
09-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Not necessarily someone who does good things all the time...

Just someone who tries to be good... I think that's sufficient.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Hard to say for sure. IMO, it's somebody who many others can rely on.
09-01-2014, 10:57 PM
A good person is someone who helps those who need it and deserves your help if they need it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-01-2014, 11:10 PM
I definitely don't believe helping others in need is what makes somebody a good person.

I think being a good person is being understanding, tolerant, non discriminative, and having the ability to bring cheer/joy/happiness/comfort to others.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
09-01-2014, 11:14 PM
(09-01-2014 11:10 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I definitely don't believe helping others in need is what makes somebody a good person.

I think being a good person is being understanding, tolerant, non discriminative, and having the ability to bring cheer/joy/happiness/comfort to others.

I would argue helping someone can encompass all of what you just said. Don't think so tangibly with it and you'll see what I mean.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
12-01-2014, 09:13 PM
A good person is subjective to the individual. There's no objectively correct answer, just opinions.

The same goes for commendable and detestable actions. You can look to common thought for an answer. Or laws. But those aren't your own thoughts now, are they? If there's an intersection of your moral opinions and law those opinions in the intersection may have been developed by your personal experience, which is individual to you; Also, may have been developed under a social influence - being common thought of the law.

Would you kill someone?
Probably not.
Would you condone killing %1 of the population oppressing, and imposing pain and suffering on the rest of the human population?
Maybe?

So, defining a good person is also situational.

I find the company of assholes to be more honest. But, whatever floats your boat. Cool

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes JesusChrist's post