How Do You Define a Good Person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 09:37 AM
RE: How Do You Define a Good Person?
(13-01-2014 09:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:28 AM)Logisch Wrote:  The right thing is potato.

No. You have a lot to learn yet. It's obviously lobster.

Duh - it's FROGS.

*shakes head*

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Gwynnies! Banana_zorro Heart Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Good is... being altruistic. Helping others out... Working towards the hope of improving the world just a little...

I dunno. Just some rambling...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-01-2014, 02:01 PM
A good person to me is someone who makes a point to hone on their positive skills and behaviors while recognizing their faults and trying their best to change them. Positive goals aren't always gonna be acheived, sometime bridges will be burned, but as long as they try to keep peace they're alright.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
13-01-2014, 06:10 PM
A Good Person: One who is inevitably fucked.
An Asshole With A Few Good Principles: One who gets shit done.

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
13-01-2014, 06:14 PM
(13-01-2014 06:10 PM)JesusChrist Wrote:  A Good Person: One who is inevitably fucked.
An Asshole With A Few Good Principles: One who gets shit done.

You're really harping on that asshole mantra.

Is this a warning for if ever you get too blazé or something? Consider

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
13-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Good person: Loves and nurtures themselves first and foremost and gives the overflow to their family and community through good works and treating people the way they'd like to be treated. Golden rule and all that jazz.
13-01-2014, 07:12 PM
(13-01-2014 06:14 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  You're really harping on that asshole mantra.

It's a life phase.

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
13-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Helping to define the fundamentals of morality always results in me asking this question, "Did the action you take lessen and minimize harm and was it the option that enabled this to the best effect"? If the answer is yes, you made the best possible moral option in your scenario. This might not always be the case, as we always have to look at the circumstances, (and there are many), but it usually enables the person making the choice to make a decision toward the right universally moral direction.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
26-07-2014, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2014 06:31 AM by Luminon.)
(07-01-2014 10:58 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Just something I've been thinking about in the past few days . . .

So the consensus on here is essentially that morality is subjective. To an extent I agree with that in that you can't make a blanket statement and say that one thing is always right or wrong (except for in the case of rape. That is one thing that I can not see any instance where it could be justified. Well that and cheating.), but there are some general things that I think that most people can agree on. Say, for example, that murder killing people just for funsies isn't moral.
Nobody believes that morality is subjective - except on internet forums. Try claiming that in the court. Try claiming that in science, or try tell that to your parents if they say you are a "bad girl". Truth is not determined by consensus. Morality can only be objective, as anything real. It can also be fairly easily defined through logic, see the Non-Aggression Principle. However, so many of our cultural institutions, and I don't mean just Churches, work against the NAP, so that our culture itself discourages us from objective morality - even though everyone uses it as an argument to make other people obey.

Morality is simply a human-based technology of increasing freedom by ensuring orderly behavior. We can do more in a moral society without getting hurt.
Morality is not subjective. The culture is.

(07-01-2014 10:58 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Anyways that bit of rambling brings me to my questions:

What is your own personal definition of a good person?

For me, a good person is someone who does there best to help people in need and those around them, is a generally honest and nice person, and abides by the general don't cheat, steal, murder, rape stuff. Of course there are instances where the general stuff becomes not immoral. It's not ideal, but doing it isn't wrong, like killing someone who is going to kill your family.

Can we actually define what makes a good person in general?

I think that there are some things that we can say make someone a good person, but you can't put too much definition to it. You can try and define it as someone who makes the lives of others better, but I don't think you can get much more specific than that.
You can define a good person by not doing some things - but would a guy in the coma be automatically good because he doesn't steal and murder?

Generally, goodness is based on being natural, NOT being trained like a Pavlov's dog into refraining from stealing and murdering. Natural goodness comes from intellect playing along with emotions. If you think something, then say it and then do it, that's the best way to be a good person. If you're just misguided, that gives others ample time to stop you.

Subjectively, goodness comes from being unconditionally loved by one's parents as a child. Children desperately need love to live and be affirmed in their goodness. Children would do anything to be affirmed as good. Nobody can affirm themselves alone as good - except in narcissistic super-human pathology. If parents are incapable of loving unconditionally, instead of love, the child gets a job, a job to earn love. Which is a toxic lie that eats people up from the inside, because unconditional love and goodness can not be earned, no matter what we do, how bright and capable we are.