How Do You Define a Good Person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: How Do You Define a Good Person?
well since somebody on this forum just recently falsely accused me and somebody made extreme exaggerations and complaints that were not honest which got me in trouble.

somebody publicly falsely accused me on multiple occasions and then they demanded a complete confession of what I did on another forum with what appears to be the intention of publicly humiliating me, destroying my reputation, and getting me in trouble.

good people do not do that. good people I consider do not Calumnize or gossip in a way that hurts the reputation of another. good people treat others as they would want to be treated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Jury's still out on you, new fish. Far as I'm concerned we got a lousy deal with this transaction. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-08-2014, 03:16 PM
(30-07-2014 03:06 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 10:22 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I would say a good person is one whose intentions and actions consistently reflect a desire to uphold the well being of others.

I think almost anything else that can be said fits in that definition. For example, honesty. A good person is honest, but being honest is covered in the above definition because it's in the best interest of others. However, sometimes being honest is not in the best interest - for example, when we tell a "white lie" because not knowing the truth might be better for another person in certain instances. In those cases, the good person would tell the "white lie" and sort of be dishonest. So that's also covered in the above definition.
Disagree with the "white lie". A good person would tell the truth in a compassionate manner. Lying to save feelings may hurt the person worse if someone else tells them the truth after you lied to them. Then they get hurt twice, once for finding out the truth and once for you having lied to them.

If you allow yourself to lie under just conditions you are helping to undermine just laws. Best to see ahead in advance and not to get in a shitty situation in the first place and to make that stance clear, so that no one expects you to cover their arse if they screw up, like maybe at the work place.
The only time when I think it's right to lie is, if you or somebody else would suffer imprisonment or a similar great injustice under a dictatorship, sharia law etc. and there is no other way out. Even then it would be preferable just to shut up and at the same time work for improvement if at all poss. or if that can't be done, get the hell out of the situation.
In my opinion a good person is someone, who doesn't just avoid needlessly hurting others and is trying hard to overcome their own demons so as not to do so, but also tries their best to help make the world a better place somehow.

Fuck Israeli state and Hamas. Fuck their war.

Maryam Namazie

SynneFree@Flickr
02-08-2014, 04:08 AM
(01-08-2014 12:19 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  well since somebody on this forum just recently falsely accused me and somebody made extreme exaggerations and complaints that were not honest which got me in trouble.

somebody publicly falsely accused me on multiple occasions and then they demanded a complete confession of what I did on another forum with what appears to be the intention of publicly humiliating me, destroying my reputation, and getting me in trouble.

good people do not do that. good people I consider do not Calumnize or gossip in a way that hurts the reputation of another. good people treat others as they would want to be treated.

Ha ha ha. Oh.
02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Quote:Ha ha ha. Oh.

Glad to enhance your day with a laugh! Wink It is good medicine to laugh no?

A lighthearted and happy Saturday to you fellow citizen!
02-08-2014, 12:21 PM
(28-07-2014 11:58 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(28-07-2014 12:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Wrong. It is claimed by many moral philosophers.
That is law, not morality. They are most certainly not one and the same.
What has science got to do with it?
They have made a value judgement based on their rules having been violated.
But morality is.
It cannot possibly be objective. There is no morality without society - morality is socially constructed.
The NAP is not objective, it is a statement of a moral stance, not some universal truth.
Morality is technology? Really? Consider
These are not arguments. There are no "becauses" in there.

(28-07-2014 01:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  Subjective does not equate to personal. We don't each get to determine what society's moral code is - societies do that, groups of people do that.
It is subjective because it is constructed, not given. Morality is not 'out there' waiting to be discovered.

Still no argument in there. Groups and societies do pull a lot of things out of their ass, they call it morality, they punish people for it, but it doesn't make them true. And things which are not true, are lies and lies can not be moral.
If morality is real, then it can not be socially constructed, because societies can have opposite rules about the same thing and contradict themselves. Things that contradict themselves can not be real.

More completely nonsensical non-answers.

I never said society's moral code was true. Or false. There is no measure of that as it is constructed. There is no absolute or objective standard for that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-08-2014, 05:14 PM
I would argue against rape.

What if somebody threatened to shoot a bunch of kids right in front of you unless you raped the school teacher?

Would rape then be justified?

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2014, 10:55 AM
(02-08-2014 05:14 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  I would argue against rape.

What if somebody threatened to shoot a bunch of kids right in front of you unless you raped the school teacher?

Would rape then be justified?

Yes. The world is not black and white. It's grey.
But.. I'd imagine the teacher would be a willing participant under those circumstances and one cannot rape the willing.
13-08-2014, 12:59 PM
I think "Goodness" effectively resolves to "2nd person perspective".

So a "good" person is effectively just a person who can and is prepared to take the perspective of someone else, and consider that other person as having a similar significance to themselves.

The key skill is empathy.

Phil
[+] 1 user Likes phil.a's post
18-08-2014, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 12:31 AM by Ray Butler.)
Morality is subjective in the sense that it is an interpretation of reality, conceptualising natural values, converting Substance to Form. With the powers of observation we can sense a lot of things, revealed for what they are, and the less superficial our observations are the better we understand them and the more likely we can formulate valid ways of dealing with them.

For example; it is pretty obvious when someone is in pain, although humans are tricky and may be seeking to manipulate, so replace the human with a cute puppy dog, he is absent of the entire concept of manipulation, so if he is whimpering then he is hurt, scared, hungry, lonely, distressed for some reason, we know that by observation, not by thinking about it, to find out why it is distressed again would be a matter of observation, perhaps combined with experiments to see what affects change in the condition. Thinking comes up with possible experiments but should have nothing to do with why you are doing it, you are doing it because you observed a problem that needed to be addressed.

So how do I define a good person? Someone who knows what is malicious, benevolent and benign then addresses, liberates and permits them respectively and appropriately. Well...that would be more my definition of wise, so a good person is really just someone in touch with their nature, knows themselves and behaves in ways that express that core being, certainly a bit more abstract, but being subject to impulses, ideology, circumstances and ambitions is altering your nature for some reason, the trick is to alter them to suit your nature.