How Do You Make a Delicious Burger?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 03:06 AM
How Do You Make a Delicious Burger?
I'm no gourmand. My cooking needs a lot of practice, as a matter of fact. I want to try to improve of the basics before reaching out. It's a shame it's winter and good fresh veggies are a no go..but.

How do I make a delicious burger. The classic is fine and dandy, but I also appreciate something with a little kick to it as well.

We can start with ingredients.

Beef is the standard, but I've heard of other meats being used as well. Even if I use ground beef, what else do I need to know for the best burger meat? How fatty do I get it? Anyone try ground Bison? What about marinating the meat? I've made lager several times, anyone got anything else interesting?

Any recipes? I'd be particularly interested in something spicy! What about home-made sauces?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 04:06 AM
RE: How Do You Make a Delicious Burger?
(08-01-2014 03:06 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm no gourmand. My cooking needs a lot of practice, as a matter of fact. I want to try to improve of the basics before reaching out. It's a shame it's winter and good fresh veggies are a no go..but.

How do I make a delicious burger. The classic is fine and dandy, but I also appreciate something with a little kick to it as well.

We can start with ingredients.

Beef is the standard, but I've heard of other meats being used as well. Even if I use ground beef, what else do I need to know for the best burger meat? How fatty do I get it? Anyone try ground Bison? What about marinating the meat? I've made lager several times, anyone got anything else interesting?

Any recipes? I'd be particularly interested in something spicy! What about home-made sauces?

A good burger starts with good meat. If you really want it good grind it yourself. You can take higher cuts like rib or strip and grind them for a more flavorful burger. You want to shoot for about an 80/20 lean to fat ratio any less and your burger will dry out any more and it will shrink too much from cookoff.

If you do not wish to grind your own meat make sure you get the ground chuck 80/20. You want to form your burger well before cooking (if you have a patty press you can do this step as soon as you get home from the store) and let it rest. Before cooking let the meat come up to room temperature and season just before cooking. Seasoning can be anything you like but if you did go with grinding your own I would just use salt and pepper to enhance the Beef flavor. Cook to desired doneness (with fresh ground you can basically just sear it and have it almost as a tartar if you wish) and top with cheese (again your choice) for a chefs trick here put a few ice chips in the pan and cover it when you add the cheese it will add steam and help the chees to melt evenly.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Thanks, you gourmand, you! But...I have several questions. How do you cook it? Fry it? Grill it? What about the ever-famous in George Foreman Style grill? Normally I'd use a charcoal grill, but not in this weather. 10 F just isn't gonna work for me. I do have a VERY old meat grinder in my basement. The thing is probably at least 50 years old. I wouldn't use it as-is, and it may not be suitable to ever be used again, I have no idea. Thoughts? Any idea's on prepping it for use again? It's not rusty or anything as far as I can tell, and I think it's steel. It's been stored in a basement forever. You lost me on the ice chips, can you explain it another way? Also, I have no idea what you mean by tartar. I know what searing is, but either way I wouldn't go anything less than a little pink. To please others, I cook most of my burgers well done.

Have you ever ground up peppers with the meat? I dunno even know if that's a good idea or not, but if it's alright, have you had any experience doing so?

08-01-2014, 04:39 AM
(08-01-2014 04:30 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Thanks, you gourmand, you! But...I have several questions. How do you cook it? Fry it? Grill it? What about the ever-famous in George Foreman Style grill? Normally I'd use a charcoal grill, but not in this weather. 10 F just isn't gonna work for me. I do have a VERY old meat grinder in my basement. The thing is probably at least 50 years old. I wouldn't use it as-is, and it may not be suitable to ever be used again, I have no idea. Thoughts? Any idea's on prepping it for use again? It's not rusty or anything as far as I can tell, and I think it's steel. It's been stored in a basement forever. You lost me on the ice chips, can you explain it another way? Also, I have no idea what you mean by tartar. I know what searing is, but either way I wouldn't go anything less than a little pink. To please others, I cook most of my burgers well done.

Have you ever ground up peppers with the meat? I dunno even know if that's a good idea or not, but if it's alright, have you had any experience doing so?

I just use a food processor as to your grinder I have no idea how to get it back to working order. Cooking style doesn't matter so much it it more a matter of even heat and a good sear. Steak tartare I was just saying that if you wished you could have it practically raw if that was how you liked your meat. As to the Ice chips what I mean is small ice cubes (Ice is frozen water Drinking Beverage ) it is a restaurant trick for melting cheese on a burger, you don't want much just enough to create a little steam.

As for peppers in the meat yeah you can go with that. I was just giving a basic burger. You can even do stuffed burgers where you add chillies and cheese to a pocket inside the burger http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/06/09/5...er-recipes

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
08-01-2014, 04:46 AM
Hehe, I know what ice chips are, you big goof! What I don't know is how to steam them in the (frying?) pan. Put the chips on the cheese? Usually I lightly toast my buns in a toaster oven with a slice of cheese on one of the buns.

08-01-2014, 07:43 AM
(08-01-2014 04:46 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Hehe, I know what ice chips are, you big goof! What I don't know is how to steam them in the (frying?) pan. Put the chips on the cheese? Usually I lightly toast my buns in a toaster oven with a slice of cheese on one of the buns.

No you put them directly on the pan so they melt and turn to steam quickly. Toss a couple of ice chips in cover immediately and in like a minute your cheese is perfectly melted and covering the burger.

08-01-2014, 07:59 AM
I always put tons of different stuff in the meat. My versions are a bit extreme, but what the heck, here it goes.

Do you use olive oil for burgers there? I always add a lot of olive oil, garlic, chopped onions, oregano, paprika (do you have it there?) and a bit of cinnamon. If I feel like experimenting I may add cumin too. Mint can also give it a very interesting kick. Sometimes I also add little pieces of tomato or pepper and feta. The tomato gives it a... fluffier(?) texture.

I usually fry them but the grilled ones are the best. I don't know how to grill them though.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
08-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Ok, I think we're missing an important component here: egg.

This is how I mix up my burgers: some 80/20 chuck, a pound is enough for four or five burgers depending on how think you like 'em, mix in an egg, and add desired spices. I usually go for some salt and pepper, little ginger, little garlic, and a splash of some sauce, usually teriyaki or BBQ. (I like favors Tongue I add nearly everything in my kitchen haha) But I'm telling you, an egg makes all the difference.

I like to grill my patties usually, If grilled, add cheese while the burger is on the grill. If using a George foreman, put the cheese on the bun and toast. Though now I'm curious to use that ice trick!

And! I make an avocado spread for my burgers. Drooling
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
(08-01-2014 08:05 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Ok, I think we're missing an important component here: egg.

This is how I mix up my burgers: some 80/20 chuck, a pound is enough for four or five burgers depending on how think you like 'em, mix in an egg, and add desired spices. I usually go for some salt and pepper, little ginger, little garlic, and a splash of some sauce, usually teriyaki or BBQ. (I like favors Tongue I add nearly everything in my kitchen haha) But I'm telling you, an egg makes all the difference.

I like to grill my patties usually, If grilled, add cheese while the burger is on the grill. If using a George foreman, put the cheese on the bun and toast. Though now I'm curious to use that ice trick!

And! I make an avocado spread for my burgers. Drooling

I thought the egg was the standard way to go (it is here).

Ah! I forgot the pepper in my previous post. Lots of freshly ground pepper Big Grin

I don't understand why one should add a sauce to the meat. There are already a lot a flavours in the meat and sauces are strong. I prefer any sauce served on the side.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
08-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Like others have mention the egg is essential for binding the meat together.

I add grated apple to my mixture everytime to keep the burgers slightly moist after cooking and I do them in the oven on gas mark 6.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.