How Do You Make a Delicious Burger?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 08:30 AM
RE: How Do You Make a Delicious Burger?
Egg is unnecessary just let your patties rest for an hour or more after forming and they will hold together fine. Personally I am a purist with this you should taste the meat not binder, spices should just be there to enhance the beef flavor and the cheese to give it that mouthfeel. Most of these sound like meatball or meatloaf recipes either of which are fine but they are not burgers.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Egg wasn't a part of my family's burgers when I was growing up, its something I learned from a friend in college. I think it makes a huge difference.
08-01-2014, 08:40 AM
(08-01-2014 08:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Egg is unnecessary just let your patties rest for an hour or more after forming and they will hold together fine. Personally I am a purist with this you should taste the meat not binder, spices should just be there to enhance the beef flavor and the cheese to give it that mouthfeel. Most of these sound like meatball or meatloaf recipes either of which are fine but they are not burgers.

I'm certainly not talking about meatballs or meatloaf. Where I live, all kinds of ground meat are heavy with spices. Only steaks and stuff are served without many spices, if you want to taste just the meat, you eat a steak.

"Burger" is just a name. People make balls from ground meat all over the world.

I know people who make the Greek version of a "burger" with just meat, salt, pepper and cheese on top. I make it my way. Theirs is a burger and mine is not? Why?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-01-2014, 09:16 AM
(08-01-2014 08:40 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 08:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Egg is unnecessary just let your patties rest for an hour or more after forming and they will hold together fine. Personally I am a purist with this you should taste the meat not binder, spices should just be there to enhance the beef flavor and the cheese to give it that mouthfeel. Most of these sound like meatball or meatloaf recipes either of which are fine but they are not burgers.

I'm certainly not talking about meatballs or meatloaf. Where I live, all kinds of ground meat are heavy with spices. Only steaks and stuff are served without many spices, if you want to taste just the meat, you eat a steak.

I know people who make the Greek version of a "burger" with just meat, salt, pepper and cheese on top. I make it my way. Theirs is a burger and mine is not? Why?

same reason chili made with tofu is not real chili. Cook how you like to cook but the original hamburger sandwich is basically what I describe only they use a cheddar spread instead of melting cheese.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
(08-01-2014 09:16 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 08:40 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm certainly not talking about meatballs or meatloaf. Where I live, all kinds of ground meat are heavy with spices. Only steaks and stuff are served without many spices, if you want to taste just the meat, you eat a steak.

same reason chili made with tofu is not real chili. Cook how you like to cook but the original hamburger sandwich is basically what I describe only they use a cheddar spread instead of melting cheese.

True dat. Thumbsup

A True Hamburger™ has little or no binder or spices. Flavors are added by topping the True Hamburger™ with them, e.g. cheese, bacon, ketchup, salt&pepper, hot peppers, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, etc.

No True Hamburger™ ever has mustard on it. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm posting here just so I can come back to this topic....I love burgers!!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
08-01-2014, 01:33 PM
(08-01-2014 09:16 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 08:40 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm certainly not talking about meatballs or meatloaf. Where I live, all kinds of ground meat are heavy with spices. Only steaks and stuff are served without many spices, if you want to taste just the meat, you eat a steak.

I don't know if there is an "original hamburger", but in any case, Dark Light said
Quote:The classic is fine and dandy, but I also appreciate something with a little kick to it as well.

So, I thought it would be good to give him a different version and mention some spices that go well with it.

Why should we always stick to the originals? I even mentioned in my post that my version is on the extreme side.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
08-01-2014, 01:39 PM
(08-01-2014 01:33 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 09:16 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  same reason chili made with tofu is not real chili. Cook how you like to cook but the original hamburger sandwich is basically what I describe only they use a cheddar spread instead of melting cheese.

I don't know if there is an "original hamburger", but in any case, Dark Light said
Quote:The classic is fine and dandy, but I also appreciate something with a little kick to it as well.

So, I thought it would be good to give him a different version and mention some spices that go well with it.

Why should we always stick to the originals? I even mentioned in my post that my version is on the extreme side.

I didn't say you had too. In fact I gave him a link to stuffed burgers that are definitely not like the original. I just think that adding an egg changes the texture enough that you are no longer dealing with the same item. It is a preference thing.

08-01-2014, 01:43 PM
A bit of Worcestershire sauce is good in hamburger. Course the key is to start with good quality meat.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-01-2014, 02:21 PM
(08-01-2014 01:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  A bit of Worcestershire sauce is good in hamburger. Course the key is to start with good quality meat.

Lots of things are good in hamburger, but none of them are necessary for a good burger.

I've tried egg, egg and bread crumbs, onions, Worcestershire, soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, and probably more.

Some were better than others, but once you're making burgers for more than about two people, then just stay plain and let them dress their own.

I've also had moose burgers and bison burgers, and I liked them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user