How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?
I've noticed this thing with people of religions, mainly those who believe in God. When you say to them, "I don't really trust people I don't know." they will reply.

"They are good, church goers. Nothing to be afraid of."

Now, we all know how this 'Good Church Goers' aren't all that they seem. Just look at Catholic Priests. So how in these peoples mind can 'Church Goer' translate to 'Good Person' or 'Trust Worthy Person'.

Something like this happened to me. My little sister as a friend, best friend, she has sleepovers with and such. Her parents invited her and her family to go to a cook out today, on the 3 of July, in celebration for her friends birthday and the Fourth.

Me, I opted not to go, why? Well for one, I've never been there, I don't know her parents, much less my sisters friend. I'd just feel like I was intruding where I wouldn't feel comfortable. Understandable.

Yet when I told my step dad that he said, 'They are good, honest, Church going people. Nothing to worry about."

Took my awhile to think on that, but when it did occurred to me what he said, I could only think. "How does someone going to church make them a good person?"

Honestly, I don't see how it would affect me, what religion they are. If I don't know the person, and it's a whole group of people I don't know, I am not going. It'd be different if it was just her parents and her siblings. But it's a whole group of people form a church I haven't been too, haven't heard of, and haven't talked to.

I don't see how my step dad didn't get that, even if they did invite us down, I would still feel uncomfortable around so many faces that I don't recognize. Church people or not, I don't think you religion makes you a good person.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
03-07-2017, 04:31 PM
RE: How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?
"Church-going" is just an outward way to display belief in God and supposedly following the laws and teachings of the Bible.

People read into church attendance that someone is a good person based on that one thing.

It's an empty statement for anyone who really looks at what is being said. Just showing up at church doesn't make anyone a good person.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
03-07-2017, 04:49 PM
It obviously doesn't mean anything since there are decent church-going people and church-going jackasses just like there are both among non-churchgoers.

It's just a shortcut way to say they share the same beliefs so even though we don't know them well they are probably "one of us" and not "one of them".

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
03-07-2017, 04:51 PM
What Anjele said.

If you go to the church then you are good christian and being good christian you are good person. Obviously reality begs to differ but it hardly matters to people uttering such statements.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Leaving aside how "good' they may be, their going to church has nothing to do with whether they will be welcoming to you or whether you will discover some similar interests. If you're someone who likes to be in crowds of strangers, you'll probably enjoy yourself. If not, it's a crapshoot. You might enjoy yourself, and you might not.

It's useful social practice, though, going to events where you're a stranger.

And of course, church-going doesn't translate to good. Your step dad is just trying to reassure you that they're in your tribe and should be accorded the benefit of the doubt. (and of course he doesn't know that you're not in the tribe anymore, or he would use a different argument)
03-07-2017, 05:50 PM
It's suppose to. As in that's what the phrase implies. It's like saying "God fearing people" is suppose to mean they're trust worthy.

But it's a phrase that doesn't really apply. How many story's do we hear about pedophile priests?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
03-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Don’t forget “God-fearing”, as though someone afraid of the boogeyman is somehow more trustworthy...I say just the opposite.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-07-2017, 05:54 PM
(03-07-2017 05:50 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  It's suppose to. As in that's what the phrase implies. It's like saying "God fearing people" is suppose to mean they're trust worthy.

Commonsensei’s post wins by a nose!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-07-2017, 06:05 PM
It's an assumption people will make. In a lot of cases, it's a good assumption that the people who go to church a lot are overall decent people. It's no different than to assume the kid who goes to the library on a regular basis is a good reader or that the person who drives truck as a profession is a good driver in private life.
03-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Ruby Crystal Wrote:How does someone going to church make them a good person?"
It should make them a good person, or a better person. But it is not guaranteed.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED