How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2017, 07:51 PM
RE: How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?
(03-07-2017 04:27 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I've noticed this thing with people of religions, mainly those who believe in God. When you say to them, "I don't really trust people I don't know." they will reply.

"They are good, church goers. Nothing to be afraid of."

Now, we all know how this 'Good Church Goers' aren't all that they seem. Just look at Catholic Priests. So how in these peoples mind can 'Church Goer' translate to 'Good Person' or 'Trust Worthy Person'.

Something like this happened to me. My little sister as a friend, best friend, she has sleepovers with and such. Her parents invited her and her family to go to a cook out today, on the 3 of July, in celebration for her friends birthday and the Fourth.

Me, I opted not to go, why? Well for one, I've never been there, I don't know her parents, much less my sisters friend. I'd just feel like I was intruding where I wouldn't feel comfortable. Understandable.

Yet when I told my step dad that he said, 'They are good, honest, Church going people. Nothing to worry about."

Took my awhile to think on that, but when it did occurred to me what he said, I could only think. "How does someone going to church make them a good person?"

Honestly, I don't see how it would affect me, what religion they are. If I don't know the person, and it's a whole group of people I don't know, I am not going. It'd be different if it was just her parents and her siblings. But it's a whole group of people form a church I haven't been too, haven't heard of, and haven't talked to.

I don't see how my step dad didn't get that, even if they did invite us down, I would still feel uncomfortable around so many faces that I don't recognize. Church people or not, I don't think you religion makes you a good person.

Why is there a disproportionate amount of Christians in federal prisons compared to atheists? Last I checked I think it was .07% of the federal prisoners are atheists. Why are countries with the highest rates of atheism the least violent? And why is it that those countries contribute more to charity per capita than more Christian countries? Being a Christian doesn't automatically make a person good.

Jeffrey Dahmar, who killed, dismembered and ate 17 young men later converted to Christianity in prison, "truly accepting Jesus as his savior and confessed his sins". I guess you could call him a "good church goer".

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-07-2017, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 08:51 PM by Fireball.)
(03-07-2017 07:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 04:27 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I've noticed this thing with people of religions, mainly those who believe in God. When you say to them, "I don't really trust people I don't know." they will reply.

Now, we all know how this 'Good Church Goers' aren't all that they seem. Just look at Catholic Priests. So how in these peoples mind can 'Church Goer' translate to 'Good Person' or 'Trust Worthy Person'.

Something like this happened to me. My little sister as a friend, best friend, she has sleepovers with and such. Her parents invited her and her family to go to a cook out today, on the 3 of July, in celebration for her friends birthday and the Fourth.

Me, I opted not to go, why? Well for one, I've never been there, I don't know her parents, much less my sisters friend. I'd just feel like I was intruding where I wouldn't feel comfortable. Understandable.

Yet when I told my step dad that he said, 'They are good, honest, Church going people. Nothing to worry about."

Took my awhile to think on that, but when it did occurred to me what he said, I could only think. "How does someone going to church make them a good person?"

Honestly, I don't see how it would affect me, what religion they are. If I don't know the person, and it's a whole group of people I don't know, I am not going. It'd be different if it was just her parents and her siblings. But it's a whole group of people form a church I haven't been too, haven't heard of, and haven't talked to.

I don't see how my step dad didn't get that, even if they did invite us down, I would still feel uncomfortable around so many faces that I don't recognize. Church people or not, I don't think you religion makes you a good person.

Why is there a disproportionate amount of Christians in federal prisons compared to atheists? Last I checked I think it was .07% of the federal prisoners are atheists. Why are countries with the highest rates of atheism the least violent? And why is it that those countries contribute more to charity per capita than more Christian countries? Being a Christian doesn't automatically make a person good.

Jeffrey Dahmar, who killed, dismembered and ate 17 young men later converted to Christianity in prison, "truly accepting Jesus as his savior and confessed his sins". I guess you could call him a "good church goer".

That's a "thing" that prisoners do. Many times "finding gawd" can gain them release, sometimes at an earlier date due to repenting their crime(s).

As far as churchgoers being good, back when I still went to church, (RCC) we'd all stand around giving the "sign of peace", i.e., shaking hands or hugging or whatever thing we were supposed to do with some stranger, and then go get in our cars in the parking lot, with all the attendant rage at not being first out the gate. I used to take my time buckling the kid(s) in, and wait until the rage-filled AJ Foyt types made good their escape, complete with people being struck by cars going out of said parking lot. Rolleyes I shit you not.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-07-2017, 08:24 PM

> Heck! My father was a regular, devout churchgoer. He was also an abusive, overbearing tyrant. Sad
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
03-07-2017, 08:56 PM
(03-07-2017 08:24 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  

> Heck! My father was a regular, devout churchgoer. He was also an abusive, overbearing tyrant. Sad

FWIW, my father was the same, but not a churchgoer. I'm pretty sure he was an atheist, based on things he said, but we weren't, as children, allowed to ask those sort of questions. I guess that a lot of what happened with the adults went over our heads, or maybe us kids are still blocking it out of our memories. I do have memories of abuse, but this isn't the place to share them.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
03-07-2017, 09:13 PM
(03-07-2017 08:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 07:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Why is there a disproportionate amount of Christians in federal prisons compared to atheists? Last I checked I think it was .07% of the federal prisoners are atheists. Why are countries with the highest rates of atheism the least violent? And why is it that those countries contribute more to charity per capita than more Christian countries? Being a Christian doesn't automatically make a person good.

That's a "thing" that prisoners do. Many times "finding gawd" can gain them release, sometimes at an earlier date due to repenting their crime(s).

As far as churchgoers being good, back when I still went to church, (RCC) we'd all stand around giving the "sign of peace", i.e., shaking hands or hugging or whatever thing we were supposed to do with some stranger, and then go get in our cars in the parking lot, with all the attendant rage at not being first out the gate. I used to take my time buckling the kid(s) in, and wait until the rage-filled AJ Foyt types made good their escape, complete with people being struck by cars going out of said parking lot. Rolleyes I shit you not.

Yup, you were Catholic. Wink Seriously, I just sit in my car and read the bulletin until the parking lot empties out, because people are so angry. I'll be sitting there in my vehicle and am not kidding when I say I'll look up from the bulletin and see myself boxed in by other cars in a triangle from where they're all trying to cut through emptied spots.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2017, 09:54 PM
(03-07-2017 04:27 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  ...

It's 'kin-selection' signalling.

It equates to "This person is willing to make personal sacrifices for the good of the tribe".

In this case the fundamental unit of sacrifice is 'time'.

Sleepy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-07-2017, 11:06 PM
(03-07-2017 09:13 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 08:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  That's a "thing" that prisoners do. Many times "finding gawd" can gain them release, sometimes at an earlier date due to repenting their crime(s).

Yup, you are EX-Catholic. Wink Seriously, I just sit in my car and read the bulletin until the parking lot empties out, because people are so angry. I'll be sitting there in my vehicle and am not kidding when I say I'll look up from the bulletin and see myself boxed in by other cars in a triangle from where they're all trying to cut through emptied spots.

Fixt. Drinking Beverage
03-07-2017, 11:11 PM
(03-07-2017 07:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  It should make them a good person, or a better person. But it is not guaranteed.

Are you claiming that if a person regularly attends a church, then somehow—magically—it makes them a "better" person than say, for example, an atheist who's never attended a church service?

What's the peculiar, undefined influence that could cause that? Think of a brother and sister of similar ages; one's a regular churchgoer, and the other's an atheist. Are you somehow implying that the churchgoing sibling is—by chance—more likely to be a better person than the atheist sibling?

How does this work Alla?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
04-07-2017, 01:10 AM
(03-07-2017 05:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Don’t forget “God-fearing”, as though someone afraid of the boogeyman is somehow more trustworthy...I say just the opposite.

Agent Smith would agree.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2017, 02:57 AM

All I can conclude is that they are good at attending church, and remembering which day they are supposed to go. There is no direct correlation with any other behaviour.

There is no reason to assume that a church is any more effective than a mosque, synagogue, temple. meeting hall or any other place of worship.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi