How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 04:18 AM
RE: How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?
Is it something the [possible former] mass public could just relate to?

For example, to say they are a church goer, at one point in time would probably just mean "like everyone else, they do the thing that you do", meaning those not going to church must be evil/be up to something? That's how I think of it anyway. It's kind of stuck around as something to say, especially in the US I think, but otherwise means absolute dick these days.

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2017, 06:58 AM
(03-07-2017 06:05 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  It's an assumption people will make. In a lot of cases, it's a good assumption that the people who go to church a lot are overall decent people. It's no different than to assume the kid who goes to the library on a regular basis is a good reader or that the person who drives truck as a profession is a good driver in private life.

The kid who is a regular reader is getting a lot of practice at reading so an assumption that he's a good reader is reasonable. The professional truck driver has much more experience driving than the average person so an expectation that they are above average may also be reasonable.

I don't see how attending church gives anybody practice at being a decent person.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
04-07-2017, 07:56 AM
(04-07-2017 06:58 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I don't see how attending church gives anybody practice at being a decent person.
In point of fact it can be argued that it gives them practice at being a less than genuine person. A person attending church may or may not be enthusiastic about what goes on there, but they certainly must appear to be. A person may or may not be "righteous" but they certainly must appear to be. Since Christianity has long been the majority religion in most of the countries where it predominates, most people are expected to make a show of piety. The thesis (such as it is) is that by regularly being "exhorted to good works" people will tend to do good works, and that doing good works is evidence of goodness / piety.

I would suggest that fitting into a Christian societal milieu is evidence of learning how to fit in, nothing more or less. Countless times we see examples of people with secret vices who "fit in" publicly but in private are, for example, alcoholics, wife beaters, or child molesters. Sometimes, all three. The open question is, does the shared fiction of virtue rubbing off on church attendees result in better adjusted behavior more often than not? My guess is that it has a mild salubrious effect on people who are already basically good to begin with, and simply helps to mask the devious among us. I'd call it a net loss.

Believers are generally taught that without the social support and, frankly, magic influence of church involvement / attendance, and certainly without god (who is mediated by the church), we would all be raving depraved lunatics. But given that I believe there is no god, I conclude that the good people in religious circles would be good outside of them, so church is just a leaky abstraction over whatever goodness there already is in the world. The church muddies the waters to perpetuate its own existence but actually contributes very little and subtracts quite a lot.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
04-07-2017, 04:14 PM
It's like newspeak. You take all positive concepts, and you change the wording so that they imply association with the party church.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
04-07-2017, 06:10 PM
@OP: That would involve something called a fib.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
04-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Lol

Dennis Rader - the notorious BTK serial killer, was President of the board for the Christ Lutheran Church in Wichita, KS.

So much for that "nicest people in church" bullshit, eh????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-07-2017, 11:29 AM
(04-07-2017 06:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Lol

Dennis Rader - the notorious BTK serial killer, was President of the board for the Christ Lutheran Church in Wichita, KS.

So much for that "nicest people in church" bullshit, eh????

[Image: john-wayne-gacy-clown.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
06-07-2017, 12:29 AM
(03-07-2017 07:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Ruby Crystal Wrote:How does someone going to church make them a good person?"
It should make them a good person, or a better person. But it is not guaranteed.

It doesn't, statistically. So if "God" set it up so that it should, then he has failed to implement that properly. You may as well say being an atheist makes you a good person but it's not guaranteed.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2017, 03:01 AM
How Does 'Church Goer' Translate to 'Good Person'?
I am always more comfortable with the non religious! Religious people weird me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post