How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 05:17 PM
RE: How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?
I grew up in San Diego. Was brought up in the Mormon faith. Never agreed with it (I was very rebellious). 10 years ago my family decided to move to Utah to be at their promised land. So at the time I thought I had rid myself of religious family. Then I Meet my wife who says she is a "Christian" but seems to know nothing about the Bible or any real beliefs. Luckily she isn't a creationist. Her father on the other hand is a very educated YEC. I have a lot of trouble because of him. He always wants to prove his way is the right way. In fact, his way is so right that he won't even go to church because he doesn't believe that true Christians go to church. The problem isn't with his beliefs for himself. The problem is that we have an 18 month old son that he wants to indoctrinate with his beliefs. He and his wife watch our son while my wife and I work. I told him I wanted my son to grow up and choose for himself what to believe and be able to question without feeling guilty. Of course he does not agree and feels he needs to save his soul. Right now I've been in a 2 week debate with him over the flood. Is not going over easy. I somehow got lucky choosing atheist friends from a young age. So I got lucky there.
Living in San Diego my whole life I haven't had to deal with to many religious people besides my own family. Only on occasion at work (my boss is very straight edge Christian, if I told him I was atheist I'm not sure how I'd be treated after that). Religious people here aren't too in your face about it, even though it is everywhere.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2014, 04:18 AM
I'm moving to a different country in the next few weeks.

From the little research I've done, I think I'll be going against one of the country's core principles (if not actually breaking the law) by simply existing ... it's an officially Muslim country and open atheism is not advisable.

Wish me luck.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-11-2014, 07:00 AM
I live in Switzerland. It is mostly a non issue. People are often pretty open about their atheism. There doesn't seem to be the same religious extremes as in the US. Creationism, for example, is almost non existant. So, atheist paradise. But not that liberal ;-)

800 pound GORILLA in the room
800poundgorillaintheroom.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2014, 07:46 AM
(22-11-2014 07:00 AM)800poundGORILLAintheroom Wrote:  I live in Switzerland. It is mostly a non issue. People are often pretty open about their atheism. There doesn't seem to be the same religious extremes as in the US. Creationism, for example, is almost non existant. So, atheist paradise. But not that liberal ;-)

You have to find other child care. There is no other choice.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Quote:I'm wondering how people get along in perhaps the less "free-thinking" areas of the US and the world in general. Is your atheism something you have to keep to yourself? Would you fear losing a job, or being thought of as a pariah in your community? Do you go to church to avoid being seen as some kind of a misfit in your community?

Yep - only told three people - my husband, my brother, and my nephew

Yes, and most definitely

Yes, although only when absolutely necessary to keep up appearances. I will lie lie lie to family about how often we go and to which church. I'm technically still a member at a southern baptist church (they called me a few weeks ago to arrange an appointment to have our family picture taken for the church directory) and I "regularly attend" :wink: a united Methodist church. The church that I "attend" is the only one I will agree to let my husband attend and take our son - instead of building a new sanctuary for their growing congregation, they instead use their tithes and offerings to various local and international charities that send impoverished kids to school, send food and toiletries to the hungry; they also find local volunteer work to do every week such as helping out with the homeless shelters and habitat for humanity - I also have not heard any sermons with even a brief mention of hell. Unfortunately, my parents will sometimes take our son to their fire and brimstone god hates homosexuals and working mothers southern baptist church. I don't mind my son going to the church my father-in-law pastors - I attended a few years ago and he had decorated the outside of the church with rainbow flags and the title of the sermon was "Coming Out Sunday" - he actually has several atheists in his congregation. I'm branching off topic...

Wow - that was quite the paragraph - just finished my third night shift in a row - tonight will be number 4. And you better believe I lied about my lack of faith to my patients last night.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
22-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Well where I live being an atheist more strikes curiosity than hate, seeing as most teens don't care about this stuff. If anything it is more the scientific ignorance of the people around me that bothers me than my atheism, hell I even get to avoid religious debates, which is a plus for me. In short, NJ does not care about atheism that much, and when I move out of the states I can forget about religion all together(besides Buddhism)

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-11-2014, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2014 12:45 AM by LadyJane.)
(22-11-2014 04:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm moving to a different country in the next few weeks.

From the little research I've done, I think I'll be going against one of the country's core principles (if not actually breaking the law) by simply existing ... it's an officially Muslim country and open atheism is not advisable.

Wish me luck.

Where are you going? Sounds intense.
23-11-2014, 04:21 AM
(23-11-2014 12:33 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(22-11-2014 04:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm moving to a different country in the next few weeks.

Wish me luck.

Where are you going? Sounds intense.

Here...

[Image: kuala%20lumpur%202.jpg]

It'll be OK as long as I don't start any trouble.

Evil_monster

... which I intend to. Big Grin

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
23-11-2014, 10:05 AM
(21-11-2014 01:44 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  I live about 30 minutes from the Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee. That's probably all I need to say.

To be honest I have told less than 20 people that I am an atheist. It hasn't caused any issues yet, but I have told only people that I know will accept it.

Asking someone where they go to church at is just as normal as asking them where their kids go to school. It's a given. Everyone goes to church here. The big question is what denomination you are.

Other than the health of my mom, one of the main reasons I haven't been completely been out in the open with it, is for my kids. I don't want my children to be the kids that no one is allowed to play with. I know several other parent's that would take issue with my non-belief. People here aren't very accepting of lifestyles that go beyond what they declare normal. Not going to church on Sunday mornings is definitely not normal.

Needless to say we have been in between churches for 2 years now.

I spent 4 years in Sparta, TN at the foothills of the Appalachians so I know exactly how you feel.

I still keep in touch by Facebook with my then best friend and a few others and from what I see in their FB pages it is a nuclear arm's race to "out-god" each other over there.

I think I just coined a term Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
23-11-2014, 10:34 AM
(23-11-2014 10:05 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 01:44 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  I live about 30 minutes from the Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee. That's probably all I need to say.

To be honest I have told less than 20 people that I am an atheist. It hasn't caused any issues yet, but I have told only people that I know will accept it.

Asking someone where they go to church at is just as normal as asking them where their kids go to school. It's a given. Everyone goes to church here. The big question is what denomination you are.

Other than the health of my mom, one of the main reasons I haven't been completely been out in the open with it, is for my kids. I don't want my children to be the kids that no one is allowed to play with. I know several other parent's that would take issue with my non-belief. People here aren't very accepting of lifestyles that go beyond what they declare normal. Not going to church on Sunday mornings is definitely not normal.

Needless to say we have been in between churches for 2 years now.

I spent 4 years in Sparta, TN at the foothills of the Appalachians so I know exactly how you feel.

I still keep in touch by Facebook with my then best friend and a few others and from what I see in their FB pages it is a nuclear arm's race to "out-god" each other over there.

I think I just coined a term Big Grin

Yes you did! I may have to borrow that term occasionally!
[+] 1 user Likes TN Skeptic's post