How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?
(21-11-2014 11:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Affect.

[Image: xF74MLp.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
01-12-2014, 01:41 PM
(21-11-2014 01:44 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  Asking someone where they go to church at is just as normal as asking them where their kids go to school. It's a given. Everyone goes to church here. The big question is what denomination you are.

I live in west Michigan, in a city that has a lot of churches. They're mostly Reformed and CRC, but most major denomination is represented. Similarly, here, no one asks if you go; they ask where you go.

I don't talk to people I don't know about it. My wife attends a very liberal church (the only Reformed church in Michigan that accepts openly gay members, IIRC). I think a few people there know, and I think a lot of them are cool about it, which is nice.

I am somewhat more open about it on Facebook, although, I mostly lean away from religion and politics, there. It's two depressing and frustrating.
15-12-2014, 11:10 AM
It doesn't.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-12-2014, 11:20 AM
(15-12-2014 11:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It doesn't.

Drinking Beverage

That's the problem. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-12-2014, 04:15 PM
(22-11-2014 04:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  From the little research I've done, I think I'll be going against one of the country's core principles (if not actually breaking the law) by simply existing ... it's an officially Muslim country and open atheism is not advisable.

Sure looks like it. You might be better off telling them you're Jewish. They don't seem to have heard of it.

#sigh
15-12-2014, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2016 11:29 PM by DLJ.)
(15-12-2014 04:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-11-2014 04:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  From the little research I've done, I think I'll be going against one of the country's core principles (if not actually breaking the law) by simply existing ... it's an officially Muslim country and open atheism is not advisable.

Sure looks like it. You might be better off telling them you're Jewish. They don't seem to have heard of it.

Oh, they've heard of it.

Note the term used here

"state-sanctioned antisemitism"

Dodgy

15-12-2014, 09:32 PM
(23-11-2014 10:14 PM)beeglez Wrote:  As for how it affects me personally, I have found a community of atheists in nearby towns, so I do have that. My family knows and accepts it, though most are religious to varying degrees. My friends know and also accept it. Co-workers know I'm 'not religious', but I have not used the term atheist with them. My clients don't know, and I fear they would no longer want to see me if they knew. I have had occasion to argue with co-workers about religion a couple of times. Once I was talking about a friend who was suffering from depression, and the co-worker asked if he'd spoken to a minister. I said casually "no, he's an atheist". She snorted and said "Well, there's the problem. He needs God" That pissed me off, and I said "That's not true. Religious people get depression all the time" I'm typically not confrontational, but I guess I was assertive or angry enough that she didn't have a comeback. Most recently, another co-worker and I were sending e-mails. I sent them under my name, and she was sitting by reading off the addresses to me. She could see my screen as I entered them. One of the names had the same first 2 letters as the local atheist meetup email address, so when I started to enter it, the email with 'atheist' in the title clearly popped up. Oops! I immediately clicked it away, but think she might have seen it. I spent the next few days paranoid that she was treating me differently, and worried that it would spread through the office. But, so far, nothing has come of it.

Yeah, the "not religious" label is about as far as I'd dare to go here in Texas. It seems that you can say you're not religious and folks don't much seem to fuss about it, though you can bet they'll be praying for you because if you say you're not religious, my tendency is to think (based on what I would've thought when I was a Christian and a Southern Baptist) that they believe you're simply backslidden or that your parents didn't set a good habit for you of attending church regularly - something like that - and not that you Gasp don't believe in God.

The tendency is to think that well of course everyone believes in God. It wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties that I heard someone say that he thought all the religious stuff was bunk.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
15-12-2014, 09:35 PM
(15-12-2014 08:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 04:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Sure looks like it. You might be better off telling them you're Jewish. They don't seem to have heard of it.

Oh, they've heard of it.

Note the term used here

"state-sanctioned antisemitism"

Dodgy

Yeah, you gonna die. Going with Buddhism is your best bet as long as they don't call your bluff and ask you to assume the Lotus position.

#sigh
27-12-2014, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 07:20 AM by dalidaisy.)
Where I grew up & currently live, "atheist" is a bad word. My oldest daughter got called an athiest, loudly, in the middle of a crowded lunchroom at school & three days later we moved to another district. My father "found god" years ago and simply quit talking to me when I told him I wasn't interested in worshiping his god. It is a shame that my family has to hide who they really are in order to get by, but that's what we do. Luckily, I got my oldest daughter out. Sent her to a university a good distance from here where her atheism & vegetarianism aren't such a big deal. Unfortunately, I've still got one in elementary school who is deathly afraid of anyone finding out that she is not Christian. The hate that fills Christians here astounds me. We live in eastern Tennessee.
[+] 1 user Likes dalidaisy's post
27-12-2014, 05:10 AM
(27-12-2014 02:51 AM)dalidaisy Wrote:  Where I grew up & currently live, "atheist" is a bad word. My oldest daughter got called an athiest, loudly, in the middle of a crowned lunchroom at school & three days later we moved to another district. My father "found god" years ago and simply quit talking to me when I told him I wasn't interested in worshiping his god. It is a shame that my family has to hide who they really are in order to get by, but that's what we do. Luckily, I got my oldest daughter out. Sent her to a university a good distance from here where her atheism & vegetarianism aren't such a big deal. Unfortunately, I've still got one in elementary school who is deathly afraid of anyone finding out that she is not Christian. The hate that fills Christians here astounds me. We live in eastern Tennessee.

Welcome to our little sanctuary (fellow INTJ). Let's hope we can offer some escape.

Smile