How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 10:56 AM
RE: How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?
(27-12-2014 02:51 AM)dalidaisy Wrote:  Where I grew up & currently live, "atheist" is a bad word. My oldest daughter got called an athiest, loudly, in the middle of a crowded lunchroom at school & three days later we moved to another district. My father "found god" years ago and simply quit talking to me when I told him I wasn't interested in worshiping his god. It is a shame that my family has to hide who they really are in order to get by, but that's what we do. Luckily, I got my oldest daughter out. Sent her to a university a good distance from here where her atheism & vegetarianism aren't such a big deal. Unfortunately, I've still got one in elementary school who is deathly afraid of anyone finding out that she is not Christian. The hate that fills Christians here astounds me. We live in eastern Tennessee.
Yeah, east TN is about as bad as it gets for an atheist, although you can find some free thinkers at UT. I've lived there. Sorry about your dad, and your little one. Best to keep the secret, but so hard.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 08:21 PM
So, I live in Idaho. You'd think that would be terrible, but not as much as you'd think. Especially in one of the liberal sanctuaries (Boise, Moscow, Pocatello).

The thing about Idaho is that as long as you aren't poking into other people's lives, they don't really care. You can debate calmly in the waiting room, and so long as you don't fall into insults everyone is good. Even in the boonies, they might gossip about the crazy atheist (or Crystal Yoga New Age Hippie Agnostic as many of my non-Mormon relatives are... of course the Mormons are also gossiped about) down the road, but if you mind your business, they'll mind theirs long enough to realize you're not that bad.

However, an interesting part of my development was looking into Wicca. I didn't catch flack about it, but my Older Sister and Best Friend did. Any teacher they went to would punish the culprits though, apparently sufficiently since I only heard about a couple incidents. There was also the family on the next hill over that my dad wasn't supposed to hang out with (but he did) that built a round house. This wouldn't be an issue, except to make it perfectly round they drew a Pentacle... The kid is still one of my Dad's best friends. So atheism is fine, but Satanism is not.

Now, for all I know I'm an outlier. If another Idaho Atheist had a vastly different experience from me, I'd like to hear about it.

:ni;
27-02-2016, 10:35 PM
(21-11-2014 02:18 PM)justauntb Wrote:  I live in a senior complex of 45 residents .....all Christian.
I am pretty much bound to just this little area because I am in a powerchair, but in the winter I am totally confinded to my apartment.
I get lonely...no one comes to see me...they all think I am some kind of Satanic worshiper. Hobo They are sort of friendly when I get my mail or something like that....they say 'Hi" and that's about it.

Hi! I live in a senior complex too - of 75 residents, 74 of them are evangelical Christian. I too am disabled. The only activities at the complex are evangelical worship services, 4 times a week, and a Christian movie once a month. I too get lonely. It's a very social atmosphere here, but I am treated with extremely distant politeness. I get handed Christian tracts a lot, and every day at least one person makes a point to let me know he or she is praying for me. The building manger is an evangelical Christian and is VERY vocal about it. Wish I could move, but I'm a single person on a low fixed disability income, and unfortunately am pretty much stuck here.
27-02-2016, 10:44 PM
(27-02-2016 10:35 PM)jariel Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 02:18 PM)justauntb Wrote:  I live in a senior complex of 45 residents .....all Christian.
I am pretty much bound to just this little area because I am in a powerchair, but in the winter I am totally confinded to my apartment.
I get lonely...no one comes to see me...they all think I am some kind of Satanic worshiper. Hobo They are sort of friendly when I get my mail or something like that....they say 'Hi" and that's about it.

Hi! I live in a senior complex too - of 75 residents, 74 of them are evangelical Christian. I too am disabled. The only activities at the complex are evangelical worship services, 4 times a week, and a Christian movie once a month. I too get lonely. It's a very social atmosphere here, but I am treated with extremely distant politeness. I get handed Christian tracts a lot, and every day at least one person makes a point to let me know he or she is praying for me. The building manger is an evangelical Christian and is VERY vocal about it. Wish I could move, but I'm a single person on a low fixed disability income, and unfortunately am pretty much stuck here.

Where are you two located? Maybe you're near enough to some TTAers for a visit. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2016, 10:45 PM
I'm in southern California, it's pretty liberal here, but I've been connected to christian culture all my life all my friends and family are christian.
28-02-2016, 02:24 AM
(21-11-2014 11:32 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I'm wondering how people get along in perhaps the less "free-thinking" areas of the US and the world in general.

My atheism does not cause me problems but I spend most of my time in home or in company of highly educated people, often graduates from the same University that I attended. When I'm in work no one really cares about it, though I work abroad so this could be the reason for other attitude.

(21-11-2014 11:32 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Is your atheism something you have to keep to yourself?

No, my family and friends know about this. When someone else ask I answer honestly.

Poland is country unfriendly to atheist but said unfriendliness is seen more at governmental level, in press or in equaling atheist with communist. Strength of religion here isn't about discriminating individual atheist but about making laws conform to the wishes of the clergy.

(21-11-2014 11:32 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Would you fear losing a job, or being thought of as a pariah in your community?

No, but I work in Germany. And my community is one of educated, liberal people - atheism is the norm there.

I don't consider neighbors my community and I couldn't care less about opinion of people whose knowledge of religion could be summed in saying that Jesus was a good guy.

(21-11-2014 11:32 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Do you go to church to avoid being seen as some kind of a misfit in your community?

No.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-02-2016, 03:13 AM
I live in Central Texas. I do not hide my lack of faith. I suffer no ill effects from it.
28-02-2016, 10:29 AM
(28-02-2016 03:13 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I live in Central Texas. I do not hide my lack of faith. I suffer no ill effects from it.

Maybe I should be braver, then, as I am also in Central Texas. Though, if you're from around Austin I can see how they're probably cool about it there. Austin seems so laid back and just... awesome. Smile Unfortunately I am from a more conservative Texas town. Undecided

Plus I honestly don't even want to discuss my atheism with anyone (anyone, meaning theists, or people who would try to woo me back to religion).

28-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Ringwoodite - now the firmament. Dodgy

Attleboro, so yeah. I used to be far more FLAMING ATHEIST in Phoenix, but here, I'm meh. So there it is. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2016, 01:00 PM
[/quote]Where are you two located? Maybe you're near enough to some TTAers for a visit. Consider
[/quote]
I'm in Lynchburg, Virginia, in Liberty University's neck of the woods. (sigh)

Judy