How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: How Does Your Environment Effect Your Atheism?
I think it helps that I live in a fairly liberal part of a fairly liberal state (That changes quickly depending on where you are).

Do I think I'd be vocal if I wasnt. Probably for the most part, though I imagine id stifle it a bit if it might affect my job. Outside of that...nah..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Where are you two located? Maybe you're near enough to some TTAers for a visit. Consider
[/quote]
I'm in Lynchburg, Virginia, in Liberty University's neck of the woods. (sigh)

Judy
[/quote]

I'm sorry you aren't close to me. I'm in the central part of NC. If you lived near me, I'd pick you up in a heartbeat and take you to one of my Freethought meetings.
28-02-2016, 07:38 PM
The same way it affects my everything

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Not usually something I discuss, I did come out to my family though and they had no problem. My brother's a Christian but he understands not to try to convert me or pressure me into anything.

01-03-2016, 04:26 PM
I have no fear of losing my job. I don't hide being an atheist but don't feel the need to bring it up to people at work or even family. I imagine even people I've never told but talk to frequently probably know based on my social liberal views.
That said, I'm sure if I were more upfront about it it would cost me some relationships.
I'll probably find out soon. I'm tired of seeing religious posts on Facebook and not wanting to get everyone's panties in a bunch by sharing posts from atheists. For some reason we are seen as being negative or combative.
03-03-2016, 12:56 PM
(21-11-2014 02:18 PM)justauntb Wrote:  I live in a senior complex of 45 residents .....all Christian.

I get lonely...no one comes to see me...they all think I am some kind of Satanic worshiper. Hobo They are sort of friendly when I get my mail or something like that....they say 'Hi" and that's about it.

friend here, called me a couple months ago and said, "I don't want you to come over here anymore." and I asked her why, she just said that I talk to much....then hung up. I think I had her looking at some of the things in her religion, and she got scared....now doesn't want to talk to me anymore. So I guess it is my fault.Huh

I'm just glad there is a place like this where I can be myself and not have people telling me I am going to hell all the time.Big Grin

In my senior complex (75 residents, 74 of them evangelical Christian), I get lonely too, and no one comes to see me, either. Yup, they say "hi" to me when I get my mail, or pass them in the hallways, and a few ask, "How're you doing?" but don't really stick around to hear the answer. I'd previously always lived in secular environments and made friends easily. But it's really different here in Christianland.

Actually, there is one male resident who likes me.... REALLLLLLLLY likes me. He is an evangelical fundamentalist Christian who inserts, "Praise Jesus" after every few words. He likes me so much, he keeps asking me out and bringing me little presents. But, see, the reason he likes me so much is because I am Jewish (at least culturally Jewish, not at ALL religious) and Jesus was Jewish. He's like obsessed with Jews. It's weird. Needless to say, I see no relationship in the cards.

I had a best friend here. She actually called me every day and came to see me a lot, or invited me over to her apartment. One day we were drinking coffee in my apartment and she was talking about a serious health problem she'd had, and how she'd been misdiagnosed by several doctors, and finally she'd found a doctor who correctly diagnosed her, and she had to have surgery and recover in the hospital for two weeks afterwards. She told me the doctor and surgeon were extremely competent, and the nurses were knowledgeable and attentive, and that she gives all the credit for her recovery to Jesus, and praises Jesus that she's alive today.

I said, "Well, praise the doctors and nurses, too!"

She never spoke to me again.

Judy
03-03-2016, 12:59 PM
(28-02-2016 04:33 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:00 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Where are you two located? Maybe you're near enough to some TTAers for a visit. Consider
I'm in Lynchburg, Virginia, in Liberty University's neck of the woods. (sigh)

Judy
[/quote]

I'm sorry you aren't close to me. I'm in the central part of NC. If you lived near me, I'd pick you up in a heartbeat and take you to one of my Freethought meetings.
[/quote]

AWWWW! That's so sweet!!!! I'd go to that meeting with you in a heartbeat Smile
Judy
[+] 1 user Likes jariel's post