How Far can You Stretch Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2014, 11:19 AM
How Far can You Stretch Atheism?
Atheism is simply the lack of belief in no gods(or one god). If you are a gnostic atheist then of course it is a believe in no gods altogether. Considering that atheism only concerns the existence of gods how much religious garbage can you tack on to it? Well quite a lot apparently!

An Atheist can pray for example, just not to god.
Atheists can worship idols like Pazuzu or Manat but they can only think of them as idols and not gods.
Atheist can be affiliated with any religion whatsoever while having no belief int he deity associated with it.
Atheist can tak part in religious rituals and even a seance or two.
Atheists can be animist and have a belief in spirits.
Atheists can also believe in an afterlife.
Atheist can believe in reincarnation.
Atheists can believe in karma.
Atheists can believe in magic.
They can of course practice sorcery.

In short, Atheists can do a LOT of "religious" things but they do not believe in god. Of course this is why Atheists have title like "freethinker" or "skeptic" added on as a label since the vast majority of atheists do not believe in such nonsense. I myself actually do pray to idols on occasions but by no means am I deluded into thinking any such thing is a god. I may do a few pagan or Satanic rituals here and there, but I do not believe in god(nor spirits or spooks).

How far do you guys think you can stretch atheism?

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2014, 11:23 AM
RE: How Far can You Stretch Atheism?
(16-07-2014 11:19 AM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  Atheism is simply the lack of belief in no gods(or one god). If you are a gnostic atheist then of course it is a believe in no gods altogether. Considering that atheism only concerns the existence of gods how much religious garbage can you tack on to it? Well quite a lot apparently!

Atheists can worship idols like Pazuzu or Manat but they can only think of them as idols and not gods.
Atheist can be affiliated with any religion whatsoever while having no belief int he deity associated with it.

In short, Atheists can do a LOT of "religious" things but they do not believe in god. Of course this is why Atheists have title like "freethinker" or "skeptic" added on as a label since the vast majority of atheists do not believe in such nonsense. I myself actually do pray to idols on occasions but by no means am I deluded into thinking any such thing is a god. I may do a few pagan or Satanic rituals here and there, but I do not believe in god(nor spirits or spooks).

You can be a religious atheist, see buddhism or shamanism. Spirits, ghosts, Alex Jones, kharma, Ancient Aliens, Luminon's BS all that is possible while being an atheist as it has nothing to do with the question of gods.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-07-2014, 11:25 AM
There is one, and only one, thing that atheists cannot do: believe in deities. That's it. Everything else theists do doesn't require a god.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
16-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Pretty much anything short of including a god.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
16-07-2014, 11:33 AM
(16-07-2014 11:23 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 11:19 AM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  Atheism is simply the lack of belief in no gods(or one god). If you are a gnostic atheist then of course it is a believe in no gods altogether. Considering that atheism only concerns the existence of gods how much religious garbage can you tack on to it? Well quite a lot apparently!

You can be a religious atheist, see buddhism or shamanism. Spirits, ghosts, Alex Jones, kharma, Ancient Aliens, Luminon's BS all that is possible while being an atheist as it has nothing to do with the question of gods.

I used to be into Hinduism, Paganism and Satanism(all at once) when I left Islam. One thing I learned in Dharmic philosophy is the Miamamsa philosophy which is a purely atheistic form of Sanatana Dharma. It is Epeolatric meaning that they worship words and believe mantras are powerful sabda(sacred speech).
So essentially any notion of god was reduced down to speech and that god does not exist apart from speech. Very weird for anybody not familiar with Hinduism. This motivated me to not give up on things like religion and mythological thinking.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo