How "God" Works book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2015, 09:48 AM
How "God" Works book
I was just wondering if any of you have read "How "God" Works" by Marshall Brain? He is the guy behind why won't god heal amputees website. I'm only about a quarter of the way through it so far, but I really enjoy it, and I think it might be the first book that I could give to Christians to help explain why they're wrong.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 10:46 AM
RE: How "God" Works book
(07-02-2015 09:48 AM)microterf Wrote:  I was just wondering if any of you have read "How "God" Works" by Marshall Brain? He is the guy behind why won't god heal amputees website. I'm only about a quarter of the way through it so far, but I really enjoy it, and I think it might be the first book that I could give to Christians to help explain why they're wrong.

Thanks for the heads up; I will check it out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2015, 10:52 AM
(07-02-2015 09:48 AM)microterf Wrote:  I was just wondering if any of you have read "How "God" Works" by Marshall Brain? He is the guy behind why won't god heal amputees website. I'm only about a quarter of the way through it so far, but I really enjoy it, and I think it might be the first book that I could give to Christians to help explain why they're wrong.

I haven't. I hadn't heard of it but I'll definitely check it out. I have read his web site and I think it is pretty devastating. He is using the time tested method of revealing a fraud. He simply takes the Bible literally on its face without adding any special *interpretation* of his own. Works every time. If the Bible were true, there would be no need for the field of apologetics.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Quote:If the Bible were true, there would be no need for the field of apologetics.

You mean like where the Bible says detractors will deliberately obscure what the Bible says?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-02-2015, 11:44 AM
(09-02-2015 11:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
Quote:If the Bible were true, there would be no need for the field of apologetics.

You mean like where the Bible says detractors will deliberately obscure what the Bible says?

You mean where I predicted you would make another inane post? What are the odds, you should worship me! Better yet, send money, cash, check, C.O.D.

[Image: mannaloaf2.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-02-2015, 11:56 AM

An Emoji just can't quite capture this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
09-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Or that no part of the scripture is left to interpretation.
10-02-2015, 06:53 AM

Step 1: Say some objectively false statements.

Step 2: Claim that in the future, people will not agree with the above statements.

Step 3: When people disagree in the future, claim that it is proof your objectively false statements are true.

Confirmation bias feels good, doesn't it, Q? What you're feeling is dopamine, not the Holy Spirit, but you won't understand that until you're willing to let go of circular thinking and presupposition.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-02-2015, 09:29 AM
(09-02-2015 08:27 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 11:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You mean like where the Bible says detractors will deliberately obscure what the Bible says?

Or that no part of the scripture is left to interpretation.

EVERY part of the scripture, just as every human spoken word, gesture or written document, is always open to interpretation. Such is one of the "issues" of human communication since the Fall of Adam.

However, in any given case, there are usually only two interpretations, one of them being correct:

Jesus is god or not, atoned for sin or not, there is sin or not, humans are morally accountable or not, there is a heaven and hell or not, etc.

Thankfully, on the issues that atheists and Christians most need to resolve, there are only two answers/outcomes for each.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
10-02-2015, 09:32 AM
(10-02-2015 06:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 11:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You mean like where the Bible says detractors will deliberately obscure what the Bible says?

Step 1: Say some objectively false statements.

Step 2: Claim that in the future, people will not agree with the above statements.

Step 3: When people disagree in the future, claim that it is proof your objectively false statements are true.

Confirmation bias feels good, doesn't it, Q? What you're feeling is dopamine, not the Holy Spirit, but you won't understand that until you're willing to let go of circular thinking and presupposition.

Very, very honestly, my friend, I get much more of a "rush" from worship, fellowship, the love of my spouse and children, reading the Word, playing sports, etc. than I do from having my statements refuted, whether meanly or kindly.

I'm aware of the persistent myth among Christian trolls that they are doing God's will by taking it on the chin from atheists, but I'm here rather to:

*ask and learn as in THE Q
*disciple and teach, and in love, not hate
*have fun
*hone my apologetics and make them much sharper for witnessing to more open people groups than those at TTA

I'm rather making objectively and subjectively true, life-affirming and loving statements, which you and others sometimes accept, sometimes reject.