How I Suggest You Debate Creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 12:18 PM
RE: How I Suggest You Debate Creationist
Creationist or biblical literalist - how does one keep their cool when put in that situation or conversation? I can't help getting all jacked up inside when confronting the ignorance and BS excuses. Not what I wan't to happen, but it is coming more natural to me to go on the offensive rather than just say "oh how interesting", or just flat out abandon the discussion. HELP!

There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven. - Robert Green Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 12:58 PM
(26-01-2014 07:16 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  How to debate a creationist.

[Image: mossberg-500-cruiser-12ga-pump-action-shotgun.jpg]

I was actually gonna do that. It's still a possibility.

(26-01-2014 08:27 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Its not morning in Germany - Sun has not risen yet.
You have so much time on your hands - this is the TTA not grammar school.
Maybe grammar blog appropriate is it not ?

Yo, Sisyphus, get away from that rock.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-01-2014, 01:26 PM
(26-01-2014 07:16 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  How to debate a creationist. Its not a good idea to debate these people in the first place

I couldn't get past this part....I happen to think it's a GREAT idea to debate them.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
30-01-2014, 04:15 PM
(30-01-2014 01:26 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 07:16 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  How to debate a creationist. Its not a good idea to debate these people in the first place

I couldn't get past this part....I happen to think it's a GREAT idea to debate them.

Why do you think that?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
30-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Re: RE: How I Suggest You Debate Creationist
(30-01-2014 04:15 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 01:26 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  I couldn't get past this part....I happen to think it's a GREAT idea to debate them.

Why do you think that?

So they think they have something worth debating. There is nothing to debate with creationists or proponents of ID.

Using Tapatalk
30-01-2014, 04:25 PM
(30-01-2014 04:18 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 04:15 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Why do you think that?

So they think they have something worth debating. There is nothing to debate with creationists or proponents of ID.

Since when did you become Kelly? n00b

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Re: RE: How I Suggest You Debate Creationist
(30-01-2014 04:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 04:18 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  So they think they have something worth debating. There is nothing to debate with creationists or proponents of ID.

Since when did you become Kelly? n00b

Still drunk huh?

Using Tapatalk
30-01-2014, 04:32 PM
(30-01-2014 04:15 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 01:26 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  I couldn't get past this part....I happen to think it's a GREAT idea to debate them.

Why do you think that?

Because I'm great at it! Rolleyes No, seriously...I use my time to plant seeds of doubt...I don't go into these conversations with the goal of deconversion, but as an (angry) atheist, I feel like it's my job to speak up for the atheists that are ashamed or quiet and cannot voice their opinion. I've only brought maybe 5 or 6 people to the "dark side" but to know that just a little bit of talking and common sense can lower the number of religious people is satisfying! Imagine if every atheist could deconvert just 5 or 6 people a year...

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
30-01-2014, 04:40 PM
This way
[Image: Medieval%20Water%20Torture_thumb.jpg%3Fimgmax%3D800]
31-01-2014, 10:34 AM
(27-01-2014 01:25 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You are right for the most part. However Creationist know on some level that using magic would ruin them. For example if they said magic to help with the whole flood myth then you can ask "why would god use a flood instead of just magically poofing everything away?"

[Mysterious ways]. It's not a compelling argument, but it gets the job done for them. It plants their God right back in the land of non-falsifiability, and leaves them some wiggle room.

Note that pretty much any time someone invokes [mysterious ways], their response could be accurately paraphrased "I know it doesn't look like it makes sense, but I'm sure there's a good reason and that I'm right." Wishful thinking at its finest!

(27-01-2014 01:25 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Also if you see a creationist use the bait and switch on what god can and can't do ask what is limiting him. Also i know how you feel my dad is a geocentrist and also that nephilimfree guy. Its funny of how creationist try to ignore the fact there bible is geocentric. http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...eocentrism Look they even try to use apologetics to avoid the issue.

Eh, they'll counter that an all-powerful entity is still capable of sandbagging. It's not logically impossible, but it does look dumb. Of course, if they're going to double-down and say that God is truly all-powerful, they get into a different type of impossible, but that's a different discussion.

Holy shit! You know a geocentrist in person!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post