How I Suggest You Debate Creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 01:09 AM
RE: How I Suggest You Debate Creationist
I've decided to no longer debate creationists for fear that my head will explode....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
03-02-2014, 12:59 PM
(03-02-2014 01:09 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I've decided to no longer debate creationists for fear that my head will explode....

Ah, the Dawkins approach. Makes sense. It certainly is easier on the blood pressure.
09-02-2014, 03:10 AM
I just had my last argument with a Creationist and holy hell…I feel steam coming out of my ears.

This guy literally went on to say God and his followers made it so the story of Genesis was kept in history through Chinese history, Sumerian history, and many others. He then went on to say the Nephillim WERE THE GREEK GODS OF THE ANCIENT GREEKS AND ROMANS.

" lol...do you not know the old testament? It was given first to the Hebrews... The others had their gods, the greeks knew of ZEUS right? Where did these gods come from? Where did their deities come from...Genesis answers those things. lol"

"The greeks, romans, egyptians, etc all had their deities around the same time. All the deities had very similar traits, but were called different things in each culture...same gods, different names. Genesis speaks of the Nephilim…"

Then he did the classic "argument from prophecy" technique…

Then tried to disprove radiometric dating with this: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/dating2.html

THEN he said nobody wants to learn about other Creation myths, let them learn about what they want in Science class…

asdfghjkl

Im done. I swear, I'm done.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Just Another Atheist's post
09-02-2014, 03:56 AM
(30-01-2014 04:32 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  I use my time to plant seeds of doubt...I don't go into these conversations with the goal of deconversion, but as an (angry) atheist, I feel like it's my job to speak up for the atheists that are ashamed or quiet and cannot voice their opinion. I've only brought maybe 5 or 6 people to the "dark side" but to know that just a little bit of talking and common sense can lower the number of religious people is satisfying! Imagine if every atheist could deconvert just 5 or 6 people a year...

Especially when you consider that the change from theism to atheism or vice versa is non-linear. There will be a multiplier effect.

You deconverted 5 or 6 people, those people will then deconvert more than 5 or 6 between them. This doesn't just include adults but children who have not yet developed skills in critical thinking. Those 5 or 6 people would still be indoctrinating children into those myths otherwise.

If absolutely everyone believes in a myth then it becomes harder for an individual to think differently. The more open atheists there are, the easier it is for people to reconsider their conditioning.

I suspect that mathematically, it works in a very similar way to the spread of infection. Religious indoctrination spreads from carrier to carrier. We can't yet stop people coming in contact with the mental disease but we can try to immunise against it. In a few lucky cases we can even cure if the infected has some natural resistance to the disease. In some parts of the world it is not too difficult to see the approach of herd immunity.