How I came to TTA. Is this funny?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2016, 02:05 PM
RE: How I came to TTA. Is this funny?
(07-09-2016 11:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 11:07 AM)pablo Wrote:  After you admitted to faking your own death on another forum, I'm having a hard time believing anything you say is true.

Me too. This guy could be telling the truth.... but it's more likely that he's trolling us for attention and sympathy. I'd rather not get emotionally invested in his story.

Is it more likely?

You see, that's the problem with internet forums. It doesn't matter what you actually post, its all about, as JP Sartre put it, the perpetual ontological struggle of being caused to see oneself as an object from the view of another.Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Anyway, the topic of the thread is "Is this funny?"

I'm beginning to find the reaction far more amusing than the "hoax" itself.

I mean, come on, seriously. I spend twenty minutes concocting a joke to play on some people who call me a "fucking idiot, dot joining asshole, dishonest, no good for nothing, why don't you leave and don't let the door whack your bum as you leave, no good for nothing bum" and actually, I think it might brighten their day if they get the pure whimsy of it, me being dead, but not, and all, and here we go again with this thin skinned, up tight reaction.

Hoax? I mean, if it had meant anyone had done more than feel a twinge of mild embarrassment, had got off their asses from in front of their computer screens and actually moved a muscle, done something to their own detriment, actually felt some real feeling for me instead of some feigned hypocritical bullshi, and I was somehow to blame because of my "hoax", yes, then maybe I might feel some really "deep" remorse.
07-09-2016, 02:21 PM
(07-09-2016 02:12 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Anyway, the topic of the thread is "Is this funny?"

I'm beginning to find the reaction far more amusing than the "hoax" itself.

I mean, come on, seriously. I spend twenty minutes concocting a joke to play on some people who call me a "fucking idiot, dot joining asshole, dishonest, no good for nothing, why don't you leave and don't let the door whack your bum as you leave, no good for nothing bum" and actually, I think it might brighten their day if they get the pure whimsy of it, me being dead, but not, and all, and here we go again with this thin skinned, up tight reaction.

Hoax? I mean, if it had meant anyone had done more than feel a twinge of mild embarrassment, had got off their asses from in front of their computer screens and actually moved a muscle, done something to their own detriment, actually felt some real feeling for me instead of some feigned hypocritical bullshi, and I was somehow to blame because of my "hoax", yes, then maybe I might feel some really "deep" remorse.

See? I told you guys. If Heywood is banned, someone else will come along to fill that role. It's like Darwin's finches.
[+] 7 users Like Aliza's post
07-09-2016, 02:34 PM
(07-09-2016 01:42 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 12:55 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Posing as your wife to make others think you actually died was a cruel prank that, at best, would only distract readers from the point you were trying to make. At worst, it caused some of the more empathetic forum users a great deal of emotional distress. I think it preposterous to think that anyone would actually believe that you were speaking from beyond the grave. So, it really was a poor addition to whole shenanigans. If you had just came in one day and started posting like you had died the day before and then went on with your farce, I think you'd have made your point and possibly even been appreciated for the cleverness of your approach. I'd have thought it funny had it been done that way.

As someone who is prone to inappropriate humor myself, especially when I am in a darker place mentally, I empathize with your situation. But, you've got to know when to admit "sorry, that was inappropriate" and move on. You can't always blame others for your jokes not going over well.

Consider
"I think it preposterous to think that anyone would actually believe that you were speaking from beyond the grave."

I did it thinking that "atheists" weren't idiots. Once I began posting from the "other side" I wasn't thinking anyone would believe I was in the afterlife...

I agree with this. And, I must reiterate that I found your premise humorous, just not the particular implementation.

Quote:Sort of confirms some of my worst fears, that a lot of people on sites like this are so thin skinned they would feel somehow taken advantage of if someone made them look a little silly.

I'm not sure what internet you've been on, but I generally find that most people, atheist or not, do not respond well to being made to look silly. But, my issue was with making people think you had actually died. That is not making people look silly, that is intentionally invoking a painful emotional response in others and then mocking it.

Quote:So, it's ok to call someone every disgusting name because they post about Judaism actually coming out of an Egyptian religion, which actually existed. But it's not okay to make a joke that involves someone inadvertently posting some hypocritical comments that they actually liked me after calling me every name in the book, and then feeling they'd been exposed as a hypocrite. Not that this was the reason.

I never called you names. As for using this as a basis upon which to measure someone's hypocrisy, I'd point out that it is a natural human reaction to speak better of the dead than of the living. The seriousness of death often softens even the hardest of hearts and leads many to forgive past wrongs and attempt to console the bereaved by remembering only the good. Would you have thought better of them had they told your "wife" that you were an asshole and that they were glad you were gone?

Quote:I didn't think anyone would 1. be hypocritical, and 2. be that thin skinned that their own hypocrisy would put them in a bad light.

You didn't think, and therein may lie the root cause of your current situation.

Quote:But, I suppose you might find this funny because it overtly and, in your face, calls or the death of assholes, rather than letting assholes show themselves as such:

Again, people usually speak better of the dead than the living. And, were Mr. Carlin's joke preceded by him convincing people that he actually killed some of those people, the audience may have taken it differently. Plus, when he takes the stage the audience knows it is an act. Your choice of method and medium did not afford you the luxury of an audience primed to laugh.

Quote:I didn't see you taking offence to people actually calling me names because I simply put forward an hypothesis about the role of an extinct cult in the first century. But you seem concerned for the emotional well-being of someone who isn't even on this thread and couldn't take a joke.

I can not control the responses of others. Furthermore, I didn't take offense to your joke. In fact, as I stated, I empathize with you because I have made many an inappropriate joke myself that backfired on me. I have simply offered you a bit of feedback as to why your joke might not have went over as well as you expected.

Quote:Nope, sorry, I don't get it.

If you don't get it by now, it is only because you are so emotionally invested in your position that you cannot admit that you might be wrong. Sometimes everyone else really is crazy and I really am living on a lonely island of sanity. But usually, when everyone else seems crazy, it is a sign that I could actually be the one in the wrong. For the record, I am not actually calling you (or myself!) crazy.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
07-09-2016, 02:49 PM
This is what it is like living with someone with limbic disorder, on a day to day basis, if they aren't medicated

And here is the science: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/ne...Sabo2.html

What is interesting about this kind of neurological disorder is that it mimics other psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar. The person with the disorder is ok some of the time but when the disorder is operative, they are a different person and you can't get through to them. It's like their being two people in the same body and nothing you say can calm them down. Some might say their behaviour went from one pole to the other, hence bipolar, or there might be a diagnosis of "dysthemia" which is about as useful as a used Kleenex. None of these illnesses can be medicated well in any event but if you then compound matters and get one of these diagnoses and its wrong, they you end up with the sufferer still being subject to the illness and having a drug in them which has side effects and is medicating them in a way which is unnecessary.

My wife ended up on anti-epilepsy drugs for years which did nothing except make her gain weight and break out in rashes.

The real problem is finding a doctor who will prescribe something which works and that's just the beginning because the problem is getting someone with this type of behavioural disorder to take the medication. No one knows how it is going to work inside a particular persons head. It has to be given in doses which allow it to act on the brain in such a way that it mimics the chemical it is replacing which is normally released in tiny amounts at an even level day and night. How do you do that with a pill you take once, twice or three times a day? At night, it wears off so you wake up unmedicated and all hell breaks lose, again, and again.

If the drug wears off and the person slips into the other, violent, state of mind, then they will immediately not want to take the medication and then it will get worse and you get the Kato situation, knives, broken furniture, deliberate car crashes etc. The real problem for families is if you get this kind of disorder, no one will treat it in a hospital because of the risk to staff.

The sad thing is that when the person comes out of it they remember what they have done and become intensely depressed. Then they become reclusive to avoid events that trigger this off. It's a nightmare because you can't live like it, can't take holidays, go out in the evening, have friends or family over. No one will have anything to do with you. If you leave someone at home with this condition you worry all day what is going on at home, what you are coming home to and you know that if you are worrying, it's because you have picked up on some behavioural clue and your instincts tell you it's going to be bad.
07-09-2016, 02:55 PM
(07-09-2016 02:49 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  This is what it is like living with someone with limbic disorder, on a day to day basis, if they aren't medicated

What is interesting about this kind of neurological disorder is that it mimics other psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar. The person with the disorder is ok some of the time but when the disorder is operative, they are a different person and you can't get through to them. It's like their being two people in the same body and nothing you say can calm them down. Some might say their behaviour went from one pole to the other, hence bipolar, or there might be a diagnosis of "dysthemia" which is about as useful as a used Kleenex. None of these illnesses can be medicated well in any event but if you then compound matters and get one of these diagnoses and its wrong, they you end up with the sufferer still being subject to the illness and having a drug in them which has side effects and is medicating them in a way which is unnecessary.

My wife ended up on anti-epilepsy drugs for years which did nothing except make her gain weight and break out in rashes.

The real problem is finding a doctor who will prescribe something which works and that's just the beginning because the problem is getting someone with this type of behavioural disorder to take the medication. No one knows how it is going to work inside a particular persons head. It has to be given in doses which allow it to act on the brain in such a way that it mimics the chemical it is replacing which is normally released in tiny amounts at an even level day and night. How do you do that with a pill you take once, twice or three times a day? At night, it wears off so you wake up unmedicated and all hell breaks lose, again, and again.

If the drug wears off and the person slips into the other, violent, state of mind, then they will immediately not want to take the medication and then it will get worse and you get the Kato situation, knives, broken furniture, deliberate car crashes etc. The real problem for families is if you get this kind of disorder, no one will treat it in a hospital because of the risk to staff.

The sad thing is that when the person comes out of it they remember what they have done and become intensely depressed. Then they become reclusive to avoid events that trigger this off. It's a nightmare because you can't live like it, can't take holidays, go out in the evening, have friends or family over. No one will have anything to do with you. If you leave someone at home with this condition you worry all day what is going on at home, what you are coming home to and you know that if you are worrying, it's because you have picked up on some behavioural clue and your instincts tell you it's going to be bad.

My condolences. This sounds like a horrible condition to have to live with or to see a loved one suffer from. I mean that sincerely. If you were to post about this in the personal issues section, you'd find that there are many here who are kind and caring toward others, even strangers on the internet, and who could offer you sympathy, emotional support, and advice on dealing with loved ones suffering from illness.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
07-09-2016, 03:09 PM
(07-09-2016 02:55 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 02:49 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  This is what it is like living with someone with limbic disorder, on a day to day basis, if they aren't medicated

My condolences. This sounds like a horrible condition to have to live with or to see a loved one suffer from. I mean that sincerely. If you were to post about this in the personal issues section, you'd find that there are many here who are kind and caring toward others, even strangers on the internet, and who could offer you sympathy, emotional support, and advice on dealing with loved ones suffering from illness.

You are assuming that:
A) its real
B) she's real

If he is a douchebag enough to do his "hoax" and find humor in that, perhaps he may lie about her condition to try to get a ride out of others.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
07-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Fool me once...but it happened here twice, in a way. One with telling the story, then with "dropping the mic", though he did have to hit the "post reply" button, so I wasn't thinking that was a real occurrence.

As for the OP, it is not funny.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
07-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Er, ip addresses can be traced.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-09-2016, 10:57 PM
(06-09-2016 11:32 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I was sitting thinking about how well-loved and respected I am not here and I remembered how I came upon this forum and what I had been doing before that.

I had joined another atheistic forum, the name of which shall be Samless, to protect the innocent. Anyway, its a small and rather intimate forum populated by a few atheists, some devout Christians and some nutjobs. Usual stuff. I got involved because I had stopped working after my wife sustained a leg injury and was confined to a wheel chair for six months. I got bored so I joined the Richard Dawkins foundation and did some work for them and also joined the chat forum I mentioned.

I'd never been on a forum like that before but I have always had issues with my upbringing in the Bible Belt etc etc. and my wife is RC, and all that. Had to have my son baptized, communion. Against my will etc etc.

On the forum I got into a lot of debates over stuff like gun control and with some people who were involved in some kind of Christian reformation movement, developing a book about a lawyer and crosses. There were the usual goons who just kept posting abuse and it degenerated into much the same as my experience here.

True to forum I decided to make a point. "Why, I thought, if God is all powerful, doesn't he communicate with us over the internet?" I mean, it's obvious. Everyone is on it. Why have churches when you can just "appear" on the screens of people around the world and show yourself. Then I had another thought. (this is where it gets interesting) I figured that if he is all-powerful then even if he is a bit of a Luddite, there were bound to be a lot of people in Heaven who could help him with the technology and even get on chat forums and spread the word. Wouldn't that be a blast if one of your family or a friend who had died suddenly started communicating to you from the hearafter via your chat forum since he knew that's all you did all day long, day in and day out, year after.... anyway, you get the point.

I hatched this idea. I thought I would dramatically illustrate how stupid an idea it was that God was all-powerful etc., because he didn't even know how to use a computer by staging my own death and then reappearing in Heaven... and communicating with all my fellow posters from beyond the grave.

I stopped posting for a while and then I left a post saying that I was my own wife, and that I had died and she had found my laptop open to the chat forum page. As my wife, I told how suddenly I had died and that she knew how much the forum meant to me and that these people were all my friends, I talked about them all in such glowing terms as true friends who had helped me through my difficult times, shut in and all, and that I had died suddenly but peacefully. I thanked everybody and wished them well. Obviously I laid it on very thick to make myself look like a complete loser who had no life at all and thought all these pro-gun types were my "real friends".

So, no response for a while, but then some posts came through saying how sorry they were, etc., the usual bullshit condolences from a bunch of hypocrits.

Then I posted that I was ok, that I was in some place, I didn't know where, it was kind of ok, they had given me a computer and told me that I had to spend my time on this computer all day every day communicating with the forum. I also mentioned that it was very, very hot there. There was No Exit.

Well, Jeeezus, you would think they might have got the joke. One guy started hurling abuse at me, saying it was sick and twisted, how someone had actually died just like that, I should be ashamed of myself etc etc. No matter how much I tried to explain just how funny it all was, no one though it was...

I dunno, I still think it was inspired, and it takes us back to the Mark Zuckerberg meets the Pope story which was of such interest here. If God is all powerful... well, I won't belabor the point.

Maybe the Pope has twigged to this. I mean, hey, its okay when the most technologically advanced thing you know of is a tree, but these are modern times. We are so advanced technologically, even if we still behave like cheeky monkeys.

I suppose the points which arose, for me, were these: If God was all-powerful, why doesn't he use technology? Answer, because he doesn't exist. Simple. Is there porn after death? I think this is a more challenging question epistemologically speaking but the answer is probably a disappointing, "no". But that leaves the more vexing and much more serious, and important question, for which there is simply no answer and it's this? "Why do some antheists have no sense of humor?"

Hmmm... I'll have to go now, I have a bit of a pain in my chest and a tingling sensa

The most damning thing about this post is it managed to be the closest you have come to an intelligent and coherent thought as a member of this forum. Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.