How I came to TTA. Is this funny?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2016, 07:14 AM
RE: How I came to TTA. Is this funny?
(07-09-2016 01:46 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My god, you actually parsed my post. Wowser.

A stunt? People cared about me? Sorry I just about spat my Coke onto my computer screen when I read your reply. Yeah, like they care here. I'm just a lot of squiggles on a screen and you, and most of my "friends" here wouldn't lose a moments sleep if I disappeared from this forum right now...along with every post I made, having been run over by a bus. Let's not get too "holier than thou",ok.

You seriously don't get it do you? Amazing. Facepalm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 10:13 AM
(08-09-2016 07:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 01:46 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My god, you actually parsed my post. Wowser.

A stunt? People cared about me? Sorry I just about spat my Coke onto my computer screen when I read your reply. Yeah, like they care here. I'm just a lot of squiggles on a screen and you, and most of my "friends" here wouldn't lose a moments sleep if I disappeared from this forum right now...along with every post I made, having been run over by a bus. Let's not get too "holier than thou",ok.

You seriously don't get it do you? Amazing. Facepalm

I think I do.

1. Go to an internet forum to discuss a mutual interest and find people who abuse you when you mention some topic they don't agree with, like gun control.

2. Because they are so abusive and in order to demonstrate a point about the silliness of the concept of heaven you stage your own death in such a way that only a moron would take it seriously.

3. A moron takes it seriously and, also, fails to appreciate the reference to Sartre (probably because he's never heard of him) in pointing out that "hell is other people" and that the forum is a closed room out of which you can't escape, except, as in "Huis Clos", you can, but you decide to stay anyway and carry on.

From Wiki:

Three damned souls, Joseph Garcin, Inès Serrano, and Estelle Rigault, are brought to the same room in Hell and locked inside by a mysterious valet. They had all expected torture devices to punish them for eternity, but instead find a plain room furnished in the style of the Second French Empire. At first, none of them will admit the reason for their damnation: Joseph says that he was executed for being a pacifist, while Estelle insists that a mistake has been made; Inès, however, is the only one to demand that they all stop lying to themselves and confess to their moral crimes. She refuses to believe that they have all ended up in the room by accident and soon realizes that they have been placed together to make each other miserable; she deduces that they are to be one another's torturers.

Joseph suggests that they try to leave each other alone and to be silent, but Inès starts to sing about an execution and Estelle vainly wants to find a mirror to check on her appearance. Inès tries to seduce Estelle by offering to be her "mirror" by telling her everything she sees, but ends up frightening her instead. It is soon clear that Inès is attracted to Estelle, Estelle is attracted to Joseph, and Joseph is not attracted to either of the two women.

After arguing, they decide to confess to their crimes so they know what to expect from each other. Joseph cheated on and mistreated his wife; Inès seduced her cousin's wife while living with them; and Estelle had an affair and then killed the resulting child, prompting the child's father to commit suicide. Despite their revelations, they continue to get on each other's nerves. Joseph finally begins giving in to the lascivious Estelle's escalating attempts to seduce him, which drives Inès crazy. Joseph is constantly interrupted by his own guilt, however, and begs Estelle to tell him he is not a coward for attempting to flee his country during wartime. While she complies, Inès tells him that Estelle is just feigning attraction to him so that she can be with a man – any man.

This causes Joseph to abruptly attempt an escape. After his trying to open the door repeatedly, it inexplicably and suddenly opens, but he is unable to bring himself to leave, and the others remain as well. He says that he will not be saved until he can convince Inès to trust in him. She refuses, saying that he is obviously a coward, and promising to make him miserable forever. Joseph concludes that rather than torture devices or physical punishment, "hell is other people." Estelle tries to persevere in her seduction of Joseph, but he says that he cannot make love while Inès is watching. Estelle, infuriated, picks up a paper knife and repeatedly stabs Inès. As they are all already dead, this attack does nothing and Inès even halfheartedly stabs herself, beginning to laugh. As Estelle comments on the idea of their being trapped here forever and laughs too, all three join in a prolonged fit of laughter before Joseph finally concludes, "Eh bien, continuons" (roughly "Eh well, let's continue...").

No sense of humor, I can forgive, but not to have an intimate knowledge of Sartre...
Shocking.Gasp
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
08-09-2016, 10:50 AM
(07-09-2016 02:55 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 02:49 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  This is what it is like living with someone with limbic disorder, on a day to day basis, if they aren't medicated

And here is the science: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/ne...Sabo2.html

What is interesting about this kind of neurological disorder is that it mimics other psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar. The person with the disorder is ok some of the time but when the disorder is operative, they are a different person and you can't get through to them. It's like their being two people in the same body and nothing you say can calm them down. Some might say their behaviour went from one pole to the other, hence bipolar, or there might be a diagnosis of "dysthemia" which is about as useful as a used Kleenex. None of these illnesses can be medicated well in any event but if you then compound matters and get one of these diagnoses and its wrong, they you end up with the sufferer still being subject to the illness and having a drug in them which has side effects and is medicating them in a way which is unnecessary.

My wife ended up on anti-epilepsy drugs for years which did nothing except make her gain weight and break out in rashes.

The real problem is finding a doctor who will prescribe something which works and that's just the beginning because the problem is getting someone with this type of behavioural disorder to take the medication. No one knows how it is going to work inside a particular persons head. It has to be given in doses which allow it to act on the brain in such a way that it mimics the chemical it is replacing which is normally released in tiny amounts at an even level day and night. How do you do that with a pill you take once, twice or three times a day? At night, it wears off so you wake up unmedicated and all hell breaks lose, again, and again.

If the drug wears off and the person slips into the other, violent, state of mind, then they will immediately not want to take the medication and then it will get worse and you get the Kato situation, knives, broken furniture, deliberate car crashes etc. The real problem for families is if you get this kind of disorder, no one will treat it in a hospital because of the risk to staff.

The sad thing is that when the person comes out of it they remember what they have done and become intensely depressed. Then they become reclusive to avoid events that trigger this off. It's a nightmare because you can't live like it, can't take holidays, go out in the evening, have friends or family over. No one will have anything to do with you. If you leave someone at home with this condition you worry all day what is going on at home, what you are coming home to and you know that if you are worrying, it's because you have picked up on some behavioural clue and your instincts tell you it's going to be bad.

My condolences. This sounds like a horrible condition to have to live with or to see a loved one suffer from. I mean that sincerely. If you were to post about this in the personal issues section, you'd find that there are many here who are kind and caring toward others, even strangers on the internet, and who could offer you sympathy, emotional support, and advice on dealing with loved ones suffering from illness.

By the way, thanks for your response about the "death post". I was seriously taken aback by the response I got. I had thought I had made it so ridiculous that no one could possibly take it as real and I do understand that it could have been considered inappropriate. I seem to think people are on the same page with me when plainly they aren't. What was annoying is that the one person who took it very seriously just couldn't accept it was no more harmful than an April fools prank and no one died, as they say.

I think the premise was funny, but it got lost altogether on that forum and I came to conclude that I was wasting my time. There were a handful of people who were friends and were supportive of the descendant of a President of Texas who was, and still is, I suppose, writing some kind of religious book about crosses and a lawyer. When I asked what was going on I was told it was an attempt at religious reformation, so I left. I think that was where I heard about the much loathed Ralph Ellis and I googled and found him being discussed here.

I suppose what happened here is that I came in on the coat tails of Ralph Ellis and I caught a lot of splash back.

Thanks also for your condolences. It's very difficult to describe the pain one goes through and the sheer frustration of dealing with this kind of illness. One has the illness and the person to "look after" if one can, and one has also the situations the illness causes which includes a refusal to accept help or engage. Then, one has the medical issues of whether this is a psychiatric illness or neurological one. Either way, you can't get help. You can't treat this type of problem with run of the mill medications given after a psychiatric diagnosis and getting one under the NHS isn't easy. The attitude is conservative among doctors. They try the old methods first and will refer first to a psychiatrist, since there are more of them. The psychiatrists then start with the old drugs even when you say they've been tried before and it can take months to get a drug which works in any way or not at all. In our case, it was not at all and it led to periods in psychiatric hospitals with no result at all.

The problem overflows into one's working life because it makes you stressed at work and unable to engage with people or stay late to gain favor and get ahead. That, in my case, meant I worked like a man possessed until the exact minute I knew I had to leave to catch a train and get home in time to pick my kid up. In the end you draw yourself to the attention of your employers and since it's nothing you can do anything about, eventually you walk away from jobs and careers. My wife go to the point that she was pretty much beyond hope as far as I was concerned and I needed to be near her family so I closed down my business and got a job in her home town.

It got much worse before it got better. It will never be perfect, perhaps but Reckits Benckiser is now trialling a patented version of this drug, more refined, and will likely get a license in the US after 2020 while Xenoport are developing a similar drug. The problem with neurological treatments is dosage and the trick is to get low dose timed release throughout the day and night, otherwise you get a withdrawal from it which can interrupt treatment.

I don't want to talk about it here because we've had a bad time recently and she's not doing well after her gastric band was removed. This trip is stressing her as well. I suppose, for me, that's the biggest problem, that someone with a brain disorder isn't "normal", in that they don't respond to things the way you think they will so you feel alone, even when you are engaging with them. It's hard to describe.

Back when she wasn't being treated with the right medication, a neighbour who also worked where I did, asked me how I could cope because she could see what was going on and I said that I just told myself that people had gone through worse, ie., gulags and prison, and come through. I felt as though I was kidding myself. I remember an article about a couple who waded into the sea together because they had a daughter with this kind of condition and they wanted to die together. One died and the other survived.

That's the kind of condition which drives you to do desparate things and push for change, wherever you can. Part of my plan was to post on any kind of forum where I could find people who could understand that to advance, one needs to break away from fixed ideas about treatment and since I have always had ideas about religion, atheism, politics, etc., I decided to join the Richard Dworkin Foundation and post on these kinds of forums, because I figured I would meet intelligent, outspoken people from a range of backgrounds. I was still engaged in setting up patient forums however, but as of late, a doctor has now set up a medical site in the English language so I'm withdrawing from the "internet" field and from forums for patients. I can't give up my interest in it, because I need to see what help I can muster for my wife since no doctor here is familiar with her treatment regime, as I found out when she was in hospital.

Anyway, thanks again.
09-09-2016, 03:50 PM
(08-09-2016 10:50 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  [...] I was seriously taken aback by the response I got. I had thought I had made it so ridiculous that no one could possibly take it as real and I do understand that it could have been considered inappropriate. I seem to think people are on the same page with me when plainly they aren't. What was annoying is that the one person who took it very seriously just couldn't accept it was no more harmful than an April fools prank and no one died, as they say.

Thank you for acknowledging your error, and also for apologising. Nothing to do with a personal death is ever funny, or a harmless "joke".

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.