How I feel about my atheism and why I'd encourage religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 01:20 AM
RE: How I feel about my atheism and why I'd encourage religion

You're not making any sense at all.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 01:27 AM
(19-05-2014 07:40 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 07:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  This is the root of your distress. It's not true - get over it. Drinking Beverage

You have any proof to support this truth claim?

For example, what proof do you have that we are not immortal?

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-05-2014, 01:38 AM
(20-05-2014 12:56 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  In my situation and everything I've explained, my inability to face reality would be a positive thing. What logic says there's not? Could you give me a logical reason?

Also, what is the logic in facing any problem when it is unnecessary (when it doesn't offer greater pleasure experience or in the sense of helping others to a greater degree)? It would be good to not face these types of problems. Therefore, can you also give me a logical explanation of how it would be good to face these problems anyway?

Are you seriously saying you require someone to explain why facing ones problems in a direct, honest, and thoughtful manner is more likely to produce a healthy and stable mind then running from your issues and piling heaping rotting piles of delusion on top of your problems so you don't have to think about them? This is honestly a thing that has to be explained to you? Really?

I tell you what: you find me a single (1) professional psychiatrist whose clinical opinion for dealing with consistent depression is " lolz pretend to be a Legolas or shit bro yolo" than I will happily refer you to one who could better deal with you.
[Image: Mads-Mikkelsen-as-Dr-Hannibal-Lecter-han...6-5000.jpg]

20-05-2014, 01:47 AM
(20-05-2014 01:38 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Are you seriously saying you require someone to explain why facing ones problems in a direct, honest, and thoughtful manner is more likely to produce a healthy and stable mind then running from your issues and piling heaping rotting piles of delusion on top of your problems so you don't have to think about them? This is honestly a thing that has to be explained to you? Really?
If you are using fantasy as a means of escape and comfort, that would likely to cause you to have more fear and depression when a problem does arrive in your life. So in that sense, it would be bad. But in my case, embracing fantasy as something empowering and facing my problems head on with it instead of running away from my problems, I do not see the logic in how that would be a bad thing.

(20-05-2014 01:38 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I tell you what: you find me a single (1) professional psychiatrist whose clinical opinion for dealing with consistent depression is " lolz pretend to be a Legolas or shit bro yolo" than I will happily refer you to one who could better deal with you.
As long as it is something that helps and does not create a situation where this would end up having the person have greater fear or depression with his/her problems, and as long as it does not do any harm to him/her or anyone else, it is logical to say that is good.
20-05-2014, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 10:30 AM by rampant.a.i..)
How I feel about my atheism and why I'd encourage religion
Personally, I would advocate a Christian upbringing and Christian teachings of abstinence as superior to a non-theistic worldview including respect for deeply held religious beliefs.

Because that leads to getting laid, and hammered drunk at parties, a lot more times than your given atheist can count shortly after their 16th birthday.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
20-05-2014, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 12:28 AM by Mozart Link.)
As one last final concluding post I will make here is that I realize that the opening post I made is very long and might not get my point across. Therefore, I have made a brief summary right here in this post of the message that I was trying to get across. It has some of the same content with some new content. So here it is:

I'm an atheist and even though I'm well aware of the fact that there is no afterlife and no God and that we have to make the best of the life we have, this is how I feel anyway. Even though I'm an atheist, I truly wish I wasn't. I'd rather be the dumbest person on Earth who believes in a God and afterlife than be a smart young man who is logical and doesn't believe. My personality is someone who embraces and is empowered/inspired by mystical god-like things (the world of Zelda since it has mystical god-like things, as well as anime such as Bleach, Inuyasha, etc.). Therefore, this personality of mine detests atheism itself and views it as inferior to my "superior mystically empowered personality."

Most people who are atheists would have the personality of an atheist in that they would embrace the fact that there is no God and no afterlife when we die. However, for me, my atheism does not change my personality and these two things clash. Since I hate atheism itself, this is why I would hate to have the personality of an atheist. For me, it would be a personality that this life itself wants me to have through all of its "inferior concepts" (such as life being full of struggles and, of course, no God and no afterlife). I wish to have a personality that defies those things and which I view as superior for me as well as superior to these concepts of life I perceive as inferior which is the reason why this personality of mine is still fully intact. I realize though that life has no meaning and it's whatever meaning we give it. Therefore, these concepts of life that I view as inferior are actually neither inferior nor superior, they are "as is." However, I still completely feel this way anyway.

I have no anger or hate towards atheists (just towards atheism itself). I made this post to see if there's anyone like me here whose personality also clashes with their atheism. Finally, I'm going to add something here that will help you understand my perspective. Imagine a fictional character who lives in a fantasy world in which there is an afterlife and this character has all the god-like powers of immortality and such and can overcome any problem in his/her life at his/her own will. Now from there imagine that this character be brought into this world and now lives a life in which there is no God, no afterlife, he/she is no longer immortal, and he/she now has to deal with problems just like the rest of us. I bet you can imagine how this character would feel. This character would obviously view these aspects of life as inferior to him/her. I've embraced fantasy so much it's as though I'm already a fictional character who is obviously already aware of these aspects of life. In other words, I have given myself this "god-like fantasy" perception from my empowerment from the world of fantasy and I am viewing the world and its concepts through that perception (which is the very reason why I am viewing these atheist concepts of life as inferior). Therefore, I already have the perception of a fantasy character who has immortality, god-like powers and such which is the reason why I feel that these atheist concepts of life are inferior to me.
21-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Get help. Really. Find a good therapist and talk about this stuff.

You have invested into your alter-ego to the point that it has become an unhealthy obsession and your own real identity is being subverted by this alter-ego. In short, it's a fast-track to cuckoo-ville.

I'm not trying to insult you. I'm trying to help, if you'll listen and take my advice.

Maybe it's not too late. Get help. Soon.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
21-05-2014, 11:09 AM
(19-05-2014 06:23 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  It might not change reality (such as that there is no God and no afterlife), but it will create a reality in his/her head that he/she deserves. Also, as I stated before, it is pointless to view religion as somehow weak and a weak excuse from life's problems because we should avoid as much problems as possible in order to become more superior to this inferior life and its inferior problems and to experience more enjoyment (in other words, there is no point in facing reality when it is unnecessary). And in this case, it would be unnecessary to face the problems that many people fear and feel depressed about (such as there being no God and no afterlife).
You're suggesting it's better to live a fantasy and not face reality, but that's nonsense. At the end of the day, reality is all there is. It does no good to pretend that problems aren't there just so you don't have to deal with them. Doing that usually results only in the problem getting worse because it is left unresolved. Where is the good in that? As for living without god and an afterlife, see below.

(19-05-2014 06:23 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  It is pointless because, as I stated in my opening post, a positive perception through atheism is neither less or better than a positive perception through religion. Therefore, it would be pointless for a religious person to realize and face these problems in order to instead achieve a positive perception through atheism. This would be, again, giving this person a pointless struggle just to simply have a different positive outlook on life that is no better than his/her already established outlook on life through religion.
I reject your claim that an atheist outlook on life is no better than a religious one. Your view is classic cherry picking because you're ignoring all that's wrong with religion. There is NO good that comes from religion that can't come without it so every benefit that religion offers you is available without it. But there is plenty of harm that comes with religion too and those are absent when you are an atheist. Therefore, it is the atheist viewpoint that is superior.

Now you might claim that religion gives you eternal life and escape from death and that is something you can't get from atheism. But the only FACT is, religion doesn't give you that either. It only gives you the fantasy of that. Well I don't need the fantasy in order to be happy. I don't fear being dead in the same way that I never feared not being born before my birth. It won't be terrible because I won't be aware of anything at all.

What religion gives you is a reason to put off living life to the fullest so that instead you dedicate your energies to ensuring you make it to the next life - which in reality doesn't exist. So you live a mediocre life in the hope of eternal bliss, but never really get the bliss; only a wasted life. As an atheist, I dedicate my energies to living the best life I can here and now. I live a very happy life which is much better than the one religion offers.

You really should learn to deal with nothing but reality. Then you would be able to see these things more clearly.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
21-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Trading one bullshit fantasy for another is no solution.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
21-05-2014, 04:48 PM
@ Impulse: I feel that since this is the only life of enjoyment you have and pleasure is the very reason we live, depression is what takes away this only life of enjoyment you have. Since this is the only life of enjoyment you have, I feel that this life should be fully enjoyed (perfect) in the sense of there being no depression to hold any of your pleasure back. Of course, you could ignore any problems in your life (even a problem in this case that takes away your very reason of living) and choose to focus on the bit of pleasure and other things you already have in this life.

But take, for example, someone who has severe chronic depression that lasts their entire life and they can't hardly enjoy anything, just for this person to know that there is an afterlife in which they can experience full joy for all eternity would be of severe benefit and would severely benefit me in my case because not only would they experience full joy for all eternity, but this would also make up for everything that they lost in this life. The last thing that such a person would ever want to hear would be "make the best of this life" when they hardly even have this ability at all. Even that ability itself has been almost completely taken away by depression as well.