How I'll be "celebrating" Easter tomorrow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: How I'll be "celebrating" Easter tomorrow
(02-04-2013 09:35 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 09:10 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I can understand that and even respect that.

Blink

I always try to at least be understanding when it comes other areas batshit crazy ideas.

Drinking Beverage

When tears are in your eyes and you can't find the way
It's hard to make believe you're happy when you're gray
Baby, when you're feelin' like you'll never see the mornin' light
Come to me..Baby, you'll see -- The Four Seasons

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 09:43 AM
(02-04-2013 09:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 09:35 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Blink

I always try to at least be understanding when it comes other areas batshit crazy ideas.

Drinking Beverage

Oh. I see. Did I mention? Blink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
(02-04-2013 09:43 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 09:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I always try to at least be understanding when it comes other areas batshit crazy ideas.

Drinking Beverage
Oh. I see. Did I mention? Blink

Drinking Beverage

02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
(01-04-2013 09:46 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 09:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was angry. The liquor store was closed for fucking Easter. Such bullshit. Either you close for all religious holidays or NO FUCKING HOLIDAYS.

Quitcherbitchin.

In my neck of the woods, it wouldn't matter if it's Easter or not.... the state won't let them sell liquor on any Sunday, even if they want to. And of course, they do want to.

Because as you know, in the United States Under God our masters respect the separation of church and state and don't make laws based on superstition.

I get pissed off here in the UK that we have restricted Sunday opening times. It might be the same in the US, i'm not sure. Shops are only open for 6 hours, which is a pain as that only leaves Saturday to go shopping properly and it is always busy. On Easter Sunday no large shops (over 280 square meters) are allowed to open which is stupid as like you say there should be a separation of church and state.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
02-04-2013, 02:20 PM
(02-04-2013 02:13 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 09:46 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Quitcherbitchin.

In my neck of the woods, it wouldn't matter if it's Easter or not.... the state won't let them sell liquor on any Sunday, even if they want to. And of course, they do want to.

Because as you know, in the United States Under God our masters respect the separation of church and state and don't make laws based on superstition.

I get pissed off here in the UK that we have restricted Sunday opening times. It might be the same in the US, i'm not sure. Shops are only open for 6 hours, which is a pain as that only leaves Saturday to go shopping properly and it is always busy. On Easter Sunday no large shops (over 280 square meters) are allowed to open which is stupid as like you say there should be a separation of church and state.

Hmmm, the Head of State is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Separation of church and state would seem problematic, at best.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
(02-04-2013 02:13 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 09:46 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Quitcherbitchin.

Here it varies from state or county to county...
In California you can booze anywhere that carries it until 2am. Here in Oregon, the state controls all alcohol. Places can sell beer and wine...but the hard stuff is controlled by state run liquor stores. The state sets the prices and decides sales etc. the individual store doesn't matter -- even tho they are independently owned they only get to choose what they carry...they can't determine the cost they sell it for.

Citadel Gin is something I can't find ever here. I can't order it from out of state...

I really need to drive to California for a booze run. I refuse to spend 40 bucks for Jim Beam when I can get twice the amount for half the price in California.

02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I spent Easter morning at church with my parents and siblings. It was most likely the last time. It was a very weird experience being back in church, they are so obsessed with death. It was very creepy. The rest of the day was spent with family and friends and then making the long 3 hour drive back home.
[+] 2 users Like Noelani's post
02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I too, was in church Big Grin It was a total waste of two hours of my life watching old men dressed in white be taken very very seriously by lots of people and indeed taking themselves very very seriously... But it was funny and there was family and the music was OK, not brilliant, but OK.

They had incense which was a first for me... one of the very very serious guys was in charge of waving it around...

They also had a glorious cathedral with stained glass windows and a massive gilded statue of JC being well and truly given the good news... He didn't look too fazed though.
02-04-2013, 04:15 PM
(02-04-2013 03:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  I too, was in church Big Grin It was a total waste of two hours of my life watching old men dressed in white be taken very very seriously by lots of people and indeed taking themselves very very seriously... But it was funny and there was family and the music was OK, not brilliant, but OK.

They had incense which was a first for me... one of the very very serious guys was in charge of waving it around...

They also had a glorious cathedral with stained glass windows and a massive gilded statue of JC being well and truly given the good news... He didn't look too fazed though.

That sounds very catholic. I was at a nondenominational service. It was comical at some points and I tried very hard not to laugh.
At one point the pastor said, "If you don't feel close to god, guess who moved." That was pretty upsetting. Thinking back on my own deconversion and other people's that I have read, it's not a very pleasant experience. I know I was honestly searching out the christian god and in a way I guess I did 'find' him. I learned about the people that made him up, why they made him up, and how they changed him over the years.
The pastor kept saying, "who is this message for?" and then he would talk about people who had turned away from god, were calling themselves christians but did not believe, and on and on. There was a category for everyone so when he said, 'who is this message for?" I don't think there could be a person that didn't fit in at least one category. I was sure my Mom was going to tell me she knew that he was talking to me. Lucky for the both of us, she didn't.
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
(02-04-2013 04:15 PM)Noelani Wrote:  That sounds very catholic.
Oddly not. High Anglican. High as opposed to low, where the priests at least talk normally and don't do freaky things with golden pots of water etc.

Quote:I was at a nondenominational service. It was comical at some points and I tried very hard not to laugh.
At one point the pastor said, "If you don't feel close to god, guess who moved." That was pretty upsetting. Thinking back on my own deconversion and other people's that I have read, it's not a very pleasant experience. I know I was honestly searching out the christian god and in a way I guess I did 'find' him. I learned about the people that made him up, why they made him up, and how they changed him over the years.
The pastor kept saying, "who is this message for?" and then he would talk about people who had turned away from god, were calling themselves christians but did not believe, and on and on. There was a category for everyone so when he said, 'who is this message for?" I don't think there could be a person that didn't fit in at least one category. I was sure my Mom was going to tell me she knew that he was talking to me. Lucky for the both of us, she didn't.

It's a good trick, similar to cold reading. I can pick this stuff up easily now, but if you're steeped in it and *want* it to be true, the skeptic laughing only confirms your own view - he's been confused and deluded by SATAN !!!! Ohmy

Also this appealing to those of wavering faith is very effective, it effs them up properly. Sorry couldn't resist Tongue But what I mean is, it frequently *works*. Some poor sod is feeling bad because he's "backslidden", hears the "message of hope" and goes and beats his breast and confesses his meaningless stupid sins and is drawn back into the bosom of the church and stands in front of everyone and tells his story... and so the meme propagates...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post