How Lucky We Are

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2017, 12:15 AM
How Lucky We Are
Vile as trump is, at least it isn't Palin.

Here's my thought: the nation's first Black president was irrefutably presidential. Had Clinton prevailed so too the nation's first female president would have been irrefutably presidential. trump is an embarrassing buffoon , but he's an old white male buffoon, and thereby doesn't set back the zeitgeist of ethnic/gender regard in the world, the global and ever increasingly favorable perception of former outcasts as normal and full fledged members of the race of man. (trump's blatant bigotry, as an old white male, may actually in some respect hasten the demise of bigotry as he makes its ugliness too glaring to ignore or deny).

But had our first female president been a white bigot buffoon, it would do more than cripple the stature of a nation, it could set back decades the cause of women worldwide.

So perhaps we're lucky - because if a figure improbable as trump attained the chair he sits in, Palin could have done just the same.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
12-07-2017, 07:23 AM
RE: How Lucky We Are
Of course Hillary is the ONLY woman the ( D )s could run......

Apparently the talent pool is rather shallow......

Why else would you run one of the most hated women in the country???

Consider

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-07-2017, 07:33 AM
I wonder if somewhere in casual conversations Obama is telling Biden, "See, I told you you should have run."
Tongue

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like LostLocke's post
12-07-2017, 07:39 AM
If only Obama could have run. If only he could run in 2020.

I could maybe get behind Michelle Obama running in 2020. I'd have to do the research. But she's said she won't anyway.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
12-07-2017, 07:57 AM
In Britain it's possible for a former prime minister to be elected and serve more than once (Winston Churchill) is it possible for an American president to do the same ?
12-07-2017, 08:01 AM
(12-07-2017 07:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  In Britain it's possible for a former prime minister to be elected and serve more than once (Winston Churchill) is it possible for an American president to do the same ?

Here the max they can do is two consecutive four-year terms. Waaaay back in history they could run again after someone else had served a term after them. But now they can't even do that.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
12-07-2017, 08:06 AM
(12-07-2017 08:01 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 07:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  In Britain it's possible for a former prime minister to be elected and serve more than once (Winston Churchill) is it possible for an American president to do the same ?

Here the max they can do is two consecutive four-year terms. Waaaay back in history they could run again after someone else had served a term after them. But now they can't even do that.

Two term limit, but they do not have to be consecutive.
Quote:No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
12-07-2017, 08:32 AM
As crazy as this sounds, Trump isn't the scariest part of the New America. It's Mike Pence.
I don't see Trump lasting the entire time and that leaves Pence, the former governor of the state I call home. This man is far more worrisome than The Donald because he keeps his crazy on the inside. Trump is a person who just wants to be popular and will spew whatever garbage will get him praise and therefore people generally take him with a grain of salt. Pence actually believes this shit. He is a well spoken and fairly charismatic voice which is a dangerous combination when you live in a world where you have a foghorn like Trump. He tried several things in Indiana that are insane and luckily mostly didn't get accepted even by the fairly conservative Hoosiers. The truly terrifying thing to me in the Supreme Court. Whatever damage Trump may do, the court is the last link in the chain and if another Gorsach gets on the bench, that will spell even darker times to come for the secular state. I have to agree with Noah Lugeons: you know things are bad when 4 years of Donald Trump is the best option.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 6 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
12-07-2017, 09:10 AM
(12-07-2017 08:32 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Pence actually believes this shit. He is a well spoken and fairly charismatic voice which is a dangerous combination when you live in a world where you have a foghorn like Trump.

I used to buy that line. "First and foremost, I'm a Christian". Right. We've seen he can lie with the best of them : "This is the first I've heard of that" ..... BULLSHIT. I think he's not charismatic *at all*, and in fact is one of THE most boring people ever to have any office. He is dangerously reactionary, though, and that's the reason I hope Trump just keeps on keeping on, ... the longer this goes on, the better the chances for change, and if Trump is impeached, Pence will pardon him, and the whole lot of them, as they leave.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Trump Trump Trump. All day long.

All day on the news. All day on social media. All day on every forum I visit.

The media won't shut up about him because they can't understand how he won after they spent two years trying to get Hillary elected. The democrats won't shut up about him after they spent two years trying to get Hillary elected (even going so far as to cheat to get her the nomination). And people on the internet won't shut up about him because they were told over and over that Hillary was going to win, Trump had no chance, the polls the polls the polls.

Trump is the president. Nothing will change it. Barring full disclosure that Trump himself guided Russians to hack voting machines, nothing is going to happen. It's not illegal to try to dig up dirt on an opponent. There is no crime of "collusion" in regards to campaigns in U.S. Code. I doubt Trump was dumb enough to accept money or gifts or exchange information in a physical form. Perhaps people like Flynn made some side deals, and Trump was smart to get rid of him so he can say "yeah I fired him. I had no idea what he was up to."

In reality, Trump knows if he did something illegal. He knows that Mueller will find it. It's only a matter of time. If there is really something to find, he could pull a Nixon right now, resign from office and have Pence pardon him. The investigation goes away and nobody ever learns what really happened. Why would he let this go on and tarnish his legacy with impeachment and trials?

Unless he knows Mueller will find nothing.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post