How Many Translation Of A Book Do You Own?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
How Many Translation Of A Book Do You Own?
I like to keep things simple. One of the things I naively thought was that there was one authoritative translation of books. I was corrected on this point when I began hunting for the best translation of the Bible to study. Now I understand that a completely satisfactory translation of any work is nonexistent. That being said: I'm wondering how many translations of a work you own. I'm currently wondering if I should get another translation of Dante's Divine Comedy. Currently I have Longfellow's translation of Inferno, but I'm looking at John Ciardi's translation for something that's readable where I'm not stumbling over the thee, thou, & arts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes THEDEATHBERRY22's post
06-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Re: How Many Translation Of A Book Do You Own?
Not always intentionally, but through picking up books at garage sales or being given books. I have multiple translations of some German philosophy texts. Most of it is from the works of one man though.

I also have two different translations of Tao te Ching and the bhagavad-gita... One can from harikrishnas so, I think they have a translation version.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-08-2014, 10:36 PM
RE: How Many Translation Of A Book Do You Own?
Does having multiple children's books count?

I have spanish, french, cajun, and/or English versions of:
Green Eggs and Ham (3)
One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish (3)
The Little Prince (2)
Red Riding Hood (2)
The Three Little Pigs (3)
The Night Before Christmas(2) ....

My son loves the cajun interpretations Big Grin

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
06-08-2014, 10:47 PM
All books I own are translated into stupid so I can understand them Laugh out load I only speak English so I don't see a need to buy books of different languages.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
07-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Though I'm a native Louisianne, I had no idea that Cajun was a possible language you could translate books into. I myself own 5 Bibles( 2 Kjv, Nrsv, Jehovah's Witness, & Niv), 2 Qurans( Arberry & Tarif Khalidi's new translation which reads well), 2 Books of Mormon(a 1979 ver. w/ pearl of great price & doctrines and covenants. And a post-1980 ver). Like I said, I'm trying to decide if I should go with John Caridi's Divine Comedy or if I want to go with a non-rhyming scheme.
07-08-2014, 01:02 AM
(07-08-2014 12:03 AM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  Though I'm a native Louisianne, I had no idea that Cajun was a possible language you could translate books into. I myself own 5 Bibles( 2 Kjv, Nrsv, Jehovah's Witness, & Niv), 2 Qurans( Arberry & Tarif Khalidi's new translation which reads well), 2 Books of Mormon(a 1979 ver. w/ pearl of great price & doctrines and covenants. And a post-1980 ver). Like I said, I'm trying to decide if I should go with John Caridi's Divine Comedy or if I want to go with a non-rhyming scheme.

Cajun is a language? I thought it was just a style of food.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
07-08-2014, 03:59 AM
i have two bibles, one in batshit, the other in crazy.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
07-08-2014, 06:28 AM
I have the American translation of the Harry Potter books as well as the original English. The translations simply don't do it justice. Drinking Beverage

I also have Winnie Ille Pu.

[Image: 61jaIdw8mSL.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2014, 07:39 AM
(07-08-2014 06:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have the American translation of the Harry Potter books as well as the original English. The translations simply don't do it justice. Drinking Beverage

I also have Winnie Ille Pu.

[Image: 61jaIdw8mSL.jpg]

This looks awesome. I didn't even know it existed Ohmy

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
07-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Ha ha ha! It would take me all day to list them all in detail, but I have multiple translations of the Bible (at least a dozen, maybe as many as 20), the major classics of eastern spirituality (Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Dhammapada, Tao Te Ching, etc.), the Koran, Homer, the works of Plato and Aristotle, Dante's Divine Comedy, most of the 19th-century Russian classics (Pushkin, Gogol, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, etc.), most of Nietzsche, and there's probably a bunch I'm forgetting.

I firmly believe that it's next to impossible to perfectly translate anything. So you can usually get a better idea of the original by reading several translations and comparing them. Best yet would be to learn the original language(s), but life is too short for that, unless languages come easier for you than they do for me.