How Many Translation Of A Book Do You Own?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
RE: How Many Translation Of A Book Do You Own?
Ok, so its not really a language - it's a dialect. Most of the books are very cute reinterpretations of classic tales. The books are not completely in french, actually mostly english with french words and cajun expressions thrown in. Kinda like Dora the Explorer does with Spanish - but a LOT more vocabulary than Dora.

My mother-in-law buys them for my son.

For example:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0142500704...ot_redir=1

http://www.lacajunstuff.com/index.php?ma...cPath=7_27

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2014, 05:57 PM
(06-08-2014 10:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  All books I own are translated into stupid so I can understand them Laugh out load I only speak English so I don't see a need to buy books of different languages.

I don't think he/she means that.

When a book is translated into another language, mistakes can be made, and the original meaning of certain sentences can be lost.

So if you have a book in English, that's not its original language, it's possible that certain parts have been altered/corrupted in translation.

The Bible being a good example... Since there are seemingly endless, subtly different versions available.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I own The Hobbit in English and Irish:

[Image: hobad.jpg]

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
08-09-2014, 03:58 PM
I would definitely recommend getting another translation of The Divine Comedy; the first version I had of that was so bad I just could not get through it. I found another that was much easier reading and was actually able to enjoy it. I can't think of any others where I needed to do that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP