29-35
36-42
43-49
50-56
57-64
65-71
72+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How Old Are You? (V 2.0)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-12-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: How Old Are You? (V 2.0)
I'm older than I've ever been...

...and now I'm even older.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
30-12-2015, 08:41 PM
(29-12-2015 10:26 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 10:18 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've always felt out of place here and now I understand why. I'm 69 years old and most of you are just children to me.

Really? I haven't been here very long but age doesn't seem to be significant in the conversations I've had so far.

Would you explain further?

You people talk about rock bands that I've never heard of. There are a lot of things in the younger culture that you refer to that go right over my head. E.g., Lemmy died. Lemmy was my age, 70 years old, but I'd never heard of him. I asked my son 37 years old] about him and he explained that Lemmy and his band played to a much younger audience even though he was 70 years old. People in my age group have had a wide range of experiences that you younger people never could have. For example, I've had polio and I'm probably one of only a couple of people on this board who have had it. We worried about typhoid and I had friends who had it. We did "duck and cover" drills in grade school because we were positive the Russians were going to nuke us. We knew they were useless even at the time but we felt we had to do something. People in my age group have had life experiences that are far different from people 50 years old and under.

Many of my high school, college, and law school friends are atheists. We handle atheism differently from many of you. For example, every year a bunch of us go back to South Dakota to hunt pheasants together. A few of the guys are theists and we all get along just fine. In fact, we joke about it. If I miss a shot at a pheasant, I might say to one of the theists, "John, pray for my shooting ability. I can't hit shit today." A lot of you younger folks, especially if you are new to atheism, cannot stand to be around theists. Most of us older guys are long past that. I go to breakfast regularly with a group of retired lawyers. Three or four of them are theists and one of them will say grace when breakfast comes. None of us atheists care. In fact, one morning I offered to say grace. They were shocked but gave me the go ahead. I said a grace that my Russian daughter in law taught me: "God give us guns and horses."

There is a big gap between us old geezers and you younger people. Probably the biggest difference is that we old geezers don't get upset over many things. We've lived too long to worry about much.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
30-12-2015, 08:43 PM
(30-12-2015 08:41 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  There is a big gap between us old geezers and you younger people. Probably the biggest difference is that we old geezers don't get upset over many things. We've lived too long to worry about much.

I'm not sure I'm capable of getting upset over anything anymore.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-12-2015, 08:48 PM
(30-12-2015 08:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 08:41 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  There is a big gap between us old geezers and you younger people. Probably the biggest difference is that we old geezers don't get upset over many things. We've lived too long to worry about much.

I'm not sure I'm capable of getting upset over anything anymore.

I'm gradually learning how to not get so upset by things. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
30-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Bug RE: How Old Are You? (V 2.0)
(30-12-2015 08:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 08:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm not sure I'm capable of getting upset over anything anymore.

I'm gradually learning how to not get so upset by things. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-12-2015, 09:19 PM
(30-12-2015 08:41 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 10:26 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Really? I haven't been here very long but age doesn't seem to be significant in the conversations I've had so far.

Would you explain further?

You people talk about rock bands that I've never heard of. There are a lot of things in the younger culture that you refer to that go right over my head. E.g., Lemmy died. Lemmy was my age, 70 years old, but I'd never heard of him. I asked my son 37 years old] about him and he explained that Lemmy and his band played to a much younger audience even though he was 70 years old. People in my age group have had a wide range of experiences that you younger people never could have. For example, I've had polio and I'm probably one of only a couple of people on this board who have had it. We worried about typhoid and I had friends who had it. We did "duck and cover" drills in grade school because we were positive the Russians were going to nuke us. We knew they were useless even at the time but we felt we had to do something. People in my age group have had life experiences that are far different from people 50 years old and under.

Many of my high school, college, and law school friends are atheists. We handle atheism differently from many of you. For example, every year a bunch of us go back to South Dakota to hunt pheasants together. A few of the guys are theists and we all get along just fine. In fact, we joke about it. If I miss a shot at a pheasant, I might say to one of the theists, "John, pray for my shooting ability. I can't hit shit today." A lot of you younger folks, especially if you are new to atheism, cannot stand to be around theists. Most of us older guys are long past that. I go to breakfast regularly with a group of retired lawyers. Three or four of them are theists and one of them will say grace when breakfast comes. None of us atheists care. In fact, one morning I offered to say grace. They were shocked but gave me the go ahead. I said a grace that my Russian daughter in law taught me: "God give us guns and horses."

There is a big gap between us old geezers and you younger people. Probably the biggest difference is that we old geezers don't get upset over many things. We've lived too long to worry about much.

First off let me say, if you're speak directly to me I'm 58yrs old so I know many of those things that you speak of and no, I didn't know who "Lemmy" was either, still don't. Also, according to the poll on this post at least 92 people on the forum are over the age of 50 and half of those over the age of 65. You are not alone.

Lots of people here interact with theists and have friends, family and partners that are. I do, my best friends are both theists. Just because I don't want to mate and date a theist doesn't mean I don't have them as friends and love them.

So don't count this place out. If you feel like an outsider maybe it's not us.

Now... get off my lawn! Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
30-12-2015, 09:20 PM
I always think of myself as being around 12. I'm quite silly, you know.

and....three...two....one!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-12-2015, 05:15 PM
(30-12-2015 09:19 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  So don't count this place out. If you feel like an outsider maybe it's not us.

I have NEVER suggested that anyone has caused me to feel like an outsider. It is entirely my own doing. I have felt like an outsider with a number of groups in my life and I have never ever blamed anyone, other than myself, for that feeling and I am certainly not doing it now.
01-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I am 65. Chronologically, that is.
06-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Had to change my answer. I'm 29 now, so I won't have to change it for seven more years.