How Religion Destroys a Civilization (A Warning For The Present Day)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 10:15 PM by Vera.)
RE: How Religion Destroys a Civilization (A Warning For The Present Day)
(10-08-2017 09:46 PM)Aliza Wrote:  that just seemed to come out of left field.

Actually, out of someone's ass. Granted, they apparently use it for "thinking", due to having been born without a brain, so we should probably pity the poor sod, not mock him...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
10-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Here you go FS, I found those people disagreeing/condemning Hitchens for you:

(04-08-2017 06:18 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  He also said many things I disagree and many things I think he simply got wrong.
So... perhaps you'd like to engage with the many stripes/colors/types of nonbelievers here abouts?

(06-08-2017 01:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Newsflash:

Hitchens never claimed to speak for anyone but himself. Same goes for Dawkins. Harris and Dennett, none of these public figures speak for all atheists. I do not speak for all atheists or even secular humanists. I only speak for myself.

(09-08-2017 01:29 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Again, I'm allowed to vehemently disagree with what Hitchens said, or what your atheist bloggers say, or agree at will.

You learn something new everyday. Already said that I've never heard or read Hitchens saying anything of the like. If he did, that's sad, and I utterly disagree with it.

(09-08-2017 03:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Again...it bears repeating, but since when does Hitchens speak for all atheists?

----

(10-08-2017 09:46 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What?? What the hell was that?

M'kay, clearly I need to read through the thread, cause that just seemed to come out of left field.

It's post 18; he is blending several Hitchens quotes together into a single statement and putting quotation marks around it.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-08-2017, 10:03 PM
"Farseeker"...such a cool name...you would think it was someone deep, someone searching for truth, open minded, seeker of knowledge...we get sharp nails on a chalkboard, Atheists are mass murders Atheists are mass murderers! Does one trick pony have anything else?
10-08-2017, 10:05 PM
(09-08-2017 01:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 01:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  You are in fact completely incorrect. Religion is not required in order for mass-murder and other crimes to be outlawed, or even as a logical basis for such laws. It's perfectly fine for us to make laws based on consensus through democratic institutions such as parliament/congress etc. A majority of atheists, as with any majority of pragmatic humans interested in getting along and moving society forward, will recognise that outlawing stupid shit like killing huge numbers of people is a bright idea ™.

Anyway, for a guy who condemns mass murder, are you aware of all the times in the Bible where God specifically orders genocide? Pretty awkward for your argument eh?

Still waiting for some kind of answer to this.

The Supreme Soviet was such a "democratic institution" run totally by Atheists, as no religious people were allowed to join The Party, and only party members could be elected. Your implied support of them is interesting.

"are you aware of all the times in the Bible where God specifically orders genocide"
That Tu quoque fallacy; finally explicit instead of implied.

And it's like accusing the US of being a genocidal nation for storming across the Atlantic twice in the 20th century just to start killing Germans. You leave out the "why".Drinking Beverage

The Holodomor was a man-made famine in Soviet Ukraine in 1932 and 1933 that killed an officially estimated 7 million to 10 million people.
The Katyn massacre was a series of mass executions of Polish nationals carried out by the NKVD in April and May 1940.
Was the downing of KAL007 an act of mass-murder?
Were Lenin's killing of Christians a good thing like Hitchens claims?

Similar events can be found in other nations under the total control of Atheists.
10-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Religion gives people a sense of moral duty, you can tell a civilization is going downhill when people lose their sense of moral duty. Only certain systems of law can properly accommodate a religious faith, otherwise that faith gets thrown out the window eventually, and that isn't good for social cohesion. Legalized religious freedom has proven to be an ineffective way of enforcing moral stability, as religious education gets slashed in favor of everyone getting their own way and doing whatever they want. Take the United States for example, we live in a religious anarchy and it is NOT a good system, it's full of decadence and irresponsibility. At least Shari'a Law is based on a wholesome path, although I will admit it doesn't totally work.
10-08-2017, 10:25 PM
(10-08-2017 10:19 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Religion gives people a sense of moral duty

Only to psychopaths with no empathy. And those don't really care either way Drinking Beverage

I'm sorry, precious, did this fall under the category of triggering?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
10-08-2017, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 11:03 PM by Cosmo.)
(10-08-2017 05:47 PM)FarSeeker Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 06:19 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Facepalm
No, that was a theist disagreeing with you.

This is about the leading Atheist... ... ...

Can someone tell me what a leading atheist is please?

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
11-08-2017, 12:07 AM
(10-08-2017 10:05 PM)FarSeeker Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 01:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  Still waiting for some kind of answer to this.

The Supreme Soviet was such a "democratic institution" run totally by Atheists, as no religious people were allowed to join The Party, and only party members could be elected. Your implied support of them is interesting.
So your criticism of democratic institutions is to cite an example that you claim is not democratic and claim that I "support" them? Try harder.

Quote:"are you aware of all the times in the Bible where God specifically orders genocide"
That Tu quoque fallacy; finally explicit instead of implied.
No, that's how the fuck can you claim to condemn genocide while your religion explicitly, in it's holy book, calls for genocide? I can condemn genocide perfectly fine without a reference to any authority but myself, and since you seem extremely dense I will make it clear that I DO so condemn genocide. On what grounds do you? If the voice in your head told you to murder people, WOULD YOU?

Quote:And it's like accusing the US of being a genocidal nation for storming across the Atlantic twice in the 20th century just to start killing Germans. You leave out the "why".Drinking Beverage
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, so killing "every man, woman and child, everything that moves" is JUSTICE!!! You guys are the GOOD GUYS Blush I never would have guessed. Thanks for clearing that up, you morally bankrupt imbecile.

Quote:The Holodomor was a man-made famine in Soviet Ukraine in 1932 and 1933 that killed an officially estimated 7 million to 10 million people.
The Katyn massacre was a series of mass executions of Polish nationals carried out by the NKVD in April and May 1940.
Was the downing of KAL007 an act of mass-murder?
Were Lenin's killing of Christians a good thing like Hitchens claims?

Similar events can be found in other nations under the total control of Atheists.
You need to show that these events took place explicitly because the people in charge were atheists, before I'll accept your criticism. I mean, we've got plenty of examples of religious violence to call on. And for the fucking last time, if Hitchens actually said something like that which I *highly* doubt, then he's a fuckhead. Happy?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
11-08-2017, 12:11 AM
Can we all agree religion is a (mostly) positive force in the world?
11-08-2017, 12:28 AM
(11-08-2017 12:11 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Can we all agree religion is a (mostly) positive force in the world?

No. You've got the entirety of history, all these ridiculous religious wars, some of them ongoing as we speak, you've got unbelievable cruelty carried out in the name of some demented God's will, you've got discrimination entrenched everywhere to the point that it's almost impossible to dislodge. Religion has been further a tool of imperialism, a handy lever for unscrupulous politicians... I cannot possibly agree that it's a positive force.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post