How Religion Destroys a Civilization (A Warning For The Present Day)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 12:39 AM
RE: How Religion Destroys a Civilization (A Warning For The Present Day)
As far as i can see nothing has changed in the past few pages. FS is accusing atheists of mass murder but is still unable to even comment on "killing each and every living thing on earth" or "killing all firstborn of a people" or "kill all their cattle even". Drinking Beverage
He doesnt even bother to privide evidence for why the Canaanites were thugs and had to be eradicated (again: all of them, guilty by association). Something that most probably didnt happen anyway as we just recently found out.

He also has still not provided any argument as for why and how being an atheist makes mass murder a rational choice. All atheists who participated in this thread have proven him otherwise by rejecting mass murer, but they, probably they arent True Atheists?

He is just another obscene person, storming into the house of people he doesnt even know and starts shitting on the carpet. A True Christian. Yes

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post
11-08-2017, 12:41 AM
(11-08-2017 12:11 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Can we all agree religion is a (mostly) positive force in the world?

No

Why should we?
Why "mostly"? Maybe "sometimes? Maybe "at times"? Maybe "rarely"? Maybe "hardly"? Maybe "almost never"?

Can we agree on that?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post
11-08-2017, 04:08 AM
(11-08-2017 12:11 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Can we all agree religion is a (mostly) positive force in the world?

No. Not in the past. Not in the present. Not in the future.

And most certainly not in my personal life. I would say my religious preoccupations were the worst thing that ever happened to me. They were destructive of my relationships, my education, and my plans.

Dodgy
[+] 6 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-08-2017, 05:06 AM

[Image: giphy.gif]

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
11-08-2017, 05:24 AM
(10-08-2017 09:22 PM)FarSeeker Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 03:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Again...it bears repeating, but since when does Hitchens speak for all atheists?

IT started from a claim that Hitchens is not a totalitarian.

Since I haven't heard a single one of you condemn his statements, and that several of you have defended him despite his statements. Accusing me of some how misreading "kill."

I disavow many things Hitchens said, particularly when he delved into politics. He was a prominent atheist but that does not mean that people simply accept everything he says "as gospel". We consider the points he makes, look at the reasons he made them, and come to our own conclusions to each individual question. On the whole, I greatly respect the man. On individual points I may differ.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
11-08-2017, 05:27 AM

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

No.

This focuses on Catholicism but gets the point across
http://www.intelligencesquared.com/event...-the-world

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-08-2017, 05:32 AM
Just a gentle reminder for anyone following the conversation:
  • Farseeker is trying desperately to imply that being an atheist entails not having a problem with mass murder.
  • In support of this he has cited as evidence some random Hitchens quotes.
  • He's also cited some 20th century atrocities carried out by atheist regimes.
  • He has ignored our pointing out that Hitchens is not an authority, even if he is accurately quoting him.
  • He hasn't causally linked the atheism of e.g. the Pol Pot regime, to their policies.
  • He has ignored requests to justify why he himself condemns mass-murder, hiding behind the defense of the "tu quoque" fallacy, which he seems to think means he gets to ask questions and is immune from having to respond to them himself.
  • Even if he could legitimately back up his bullshit, it still has no bearing on the argument as to whether there actually is a God or not.

Just as an FYI for you FarSeeker, tu quoque fallacy works like this:
I say to you "Stop condoning child slavery, your book is vile"
You say "But you keep child slaves"
OK sure, so what that means is I'm being hypocritical, if it is indeed true that I keep child slaves, the *fallacy* part, is that you think that it gets you off the hook for your own child slavery practices.

In this case you said to us "Stop condoning mass murder"
We said "WTF, your stupid book is full of mass murder"
And you positively *screamed* "Tu quoque fallacy" - except in this case none of us fucking condones mass murder you stupid twat.
So no, it's not a fallacy, and fucking NO, you are not off the hook for your stupid book and it's disgusting morals.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
11-08-2017, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 07:58 AM by Szuchow.)
@Morondog

Not atheist but "communist" regimes. Or built upon foundation of marxism to be more precise. Marxism that evolved into religion, in SU at least.

Pol pot crimes had more to do with his want of returning to glory of Angkor from what I remember from his biography. His marxism was also influenced with religious themes if I recall correctly and strange.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
11-08-2017, 07:55 AM
(10-08-2017 05:47 PM)FarSeeker Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 06:19 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Facepalm
No, that was a theist disagreeing with you.

The first part of your statement is wrong; the second part is as irrelevant as the Gish Gallop, because this has nothing to do with some TV preach or what he said.

This is about the leading Atheists stating, "religious people are my enemy, they are a threat to civilization, it's either them or me, and I'm going to make sure it's Me. And killing them will be a duty and pleasure."

And having the rest of you deny it.

There may be prominent atheists, but no leading atheist.

But I don't expect you to listen.
11-08-2017, 08:00 AM
(10-08-2017 10:19 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Religion gives people a sense of moral duty, you can tell a civilization is going downhill when people lose their sense of moral duty. Only certain systems of law can properly accommodate a religious faith, otherwise that faith gets thrown out the window eventually, and that isn't good for social cohesion. Legalized religious freedom has proven to be an ineffective way of enforcing moral stability, as religious education gets slashed in favor of everyone getting their own way and doing whatever they want. Take the United States for example, we live in a religious anarchy and it is NOT a good system, it's full of decadence and irresponsibility. At least Shari'a Law is based on a wholesome path, although I will admit it doesn't totally work.

Well, bullshit will bring people together for a cause, but what kind of society results from believing lies? Religion is rife with bigotry and hate, and these religions cultivate that for power. And religion is part and parcel to decadence and irresponsibility.
[+] 2 users Like kemo boy's post