How Religion Destroys a Civilization (A Warning For The Present Day)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2012, 07:35 PM
RE: How Religion Destroys a Civilization (A Warning For The Present Day)
(18-06-2012 07:28 PM)Ghost Wrote:  
Quote:Christian Radio Host: “Well, I wanted to make it
quite clear in our closing moments to you, Christopher, I don’t consider
you an enemy, I don’t consider you, uh”
Christopher Hitchens: “Well, I’m very sorry to hear that.”

Radio Host: “I know, because you want me to be your enemy.”

Hitchens: “Well, no, excuse me, you are my enemy.”

Radio Host: “Well, you’re not my enemy.”

Hitchens: “How do you figure that?”

Radio Host: “No, because I don’t feel the need to have to silence you, Christopher Hitchens.”

Hitchens:
“Well, you don’t have a chance of doing that. I don’t mean that at
all, I mean your preachments are evil and are a direct threat to the
survival of civilization. If you don’t consider me an enemy, then you
don’t know an enemy when you see or hear one.”
Enemy, yes. Totalitarian, no.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2012, 08:04 PM
(18-06-2012 07:28 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I'm with you, I don't like being told what I can and cannot do. I just don't like telling either.

Just feels rude to me.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
18-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Hey, Chas.

Well, seeing as how there is as of yet no totalitarian state in the United States of America, I'm going to agree with you. It's pretty far from the point, but sure, why not.

My point is, there were no Christopher Hitchens' in open Baghdad. Neither were there Fred Phelps'. If anyone takes over with the aim of eliminating those views that they do not agree with, that is a crime worthy of Al-Ghazali.

Hey, Hafnof.

What I meant is, if you think in those terms, you aren't going to find an olive branch.

Imagine you're in a relationship with a woman, and you think to yourself, "Man, things will be so much better when she fixes all of her problems," what do you think the future of that relationship is gonna be?

Hey, Girly.

Just a side note on drone strikes. The CIA carries out drone strikes without any sanction from congress. That's huge. Like huge huge. It's essentially a way to be able to declare war on another country without getting approval from congress. Because it's not the military. It's the CIA. The CIA has sortied more drones into Pakistan, not Afghanistan, Pakistan, than the US sortied manned bomber strikes into Kosovo during the Kosovo war (which, you'll note, was a war) and they have done it with zero oversight. Again, that's fucking huge. And pretty much 100% illegal. More than anything else, it should be classified as an epic murder spree. So we're not talking about a couple of strikes here and there. It's a full-fledged air war, without the mess of being called a war. Then the Americans come in on a humanitarian mission and say trust us. I don't know that I would myself. Maybe I'd say, "leave the vaccine at the door and then go fuck yourself," and then get my own people to do it, but as barbaric as the Taliban's decision may seem (think of the children!) it's not crazy (nor is it in any way a commentary on Islam).

Check this documentary. It's called Remote Control War. It's excellent.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
18-06-2012, 10:28 PM
This guy is a horrible public speaker.
Also doubters are called doubters, Atheists have no doubt that there is no God so how can you call an Atheist a doubter? This guy obviously doesn't know shit.

Ok just finished watching the video, I forgive him.

This is fascinating.
I would say however that it is not quite to the extent of way back then where 'investigation', as he puts it, stopped. Now, investigation continues. Yeah it's slowed because of religion, but it isn't halted like how it described happened in the desert ages ago.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
18-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Ghost, I'm not sure exactly what you are reading into my comments so feel free to elaborate on what you think the barriers are that I am imposing to the extension of an olive branch. I don't have anything against moderate religion or the religious, but any transition from dogmatic religion to a viewpoint that accepts some of the key things know about the universe involves at least a risk of losing one's faith when dogmas are shaken or broken. So in that sense they are right that in letting go of their dogma they may end up letting go of a whole lot more. I also think it's clear that many Christians believe they are in a spiritual war whereby anyone who questions a dogma might be working for the other guy. I come from this tradition.

When ordinary people talk to ordinary people I think we can all get along. Dogma (admittedly on both sides) is a key problem, but that's what your post was about. It's not about the moderates, but about the guys who have already gone into overdrive protect-my-religion dogma mode. How do we get those people to rejoin the mainstream? In the end I guess it will always require knowing someone who doesn't share your beliefs but whom you can still respect.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
19-06-2012, 08:12 AM
(18-06-2012 06:24 PM)DannyW Wrote:  http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/201...rikes?lite

...Aaaaaand, fuck islam.
Oh, good. It will be that much easier to stomp the Taliban's guts out when all their warriors show up on the battlefield in wheelchairs and iron lungs.

Stupid fuckers!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
19-06-2012, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2012 08:33 AM by Ghost.)
Hey, Hafnof.

I went back and read your post and I think what sparked me was this.
Quote:... the model as proposed must be discarded in favour of reliable models such as cosmology and evolution...

Which at the time seemed very much like an ultimatum, but perhaps I took it slightly out of context. If I did, you have my apology.

Speaking to the end of your post, I agree, there is the possibility that they will lose their faith. It's happened before. The Vatican used to rule the planet, now, not so much. That's just cultural evolution at work. But there's a difference between cultural evolution and feeling under attack. When people say, you're wrong, you're dumb, you have no right to think that way, you're a danger, your ideas should be purged from the world, how can they do anything but go on the defensive? I think that the main difference between what I perceive today and the flavour in your post I picked up on is that open Baghdad was non-judgemental. Everyone was welcome as is. It's like that line in Higher Learning, "Remy is it? Man, I gotta admit you've been really polite by staying out of my way. But you ain't been honest. See I figure, it's not what a person says it's what they think. So in my mind, you've been walking around here calling me a nigger in you head. Am I right?" If in your head you think they're misguided and deluded and false and anything else, they can pick up on that. I don't want to come off as harsh and suggest that you're a racist, lol, so please don't think that's what I mean.

There was just as sense I got at the end of your post that Christians simply must embrace cosmology and evolution. My question is, who says? I mean obviously the guy that paid for that billboard in Neil's video is an extremist who has no current interest in living in peace and harmony, but I mean the average person who is just like, "Hey, man, I believe in Genesis and creation. You do your thing, brother, I'll do mine."

For me the trick comes down to one simple thing. The idea that there is only one Truth. As long as people think that then anyone who doesn't believe what you believe is necessarily wrong and necessarily a threat to your world view. The trick, as I see it, is getting people to let go of that idea. If we do that, then everyone can breathe.

ON EDIT:

Just a little thought, because everyone's harping on the Taliban. Afghanistan has been occupied or under direct attack for decades. Decades. People have been trying to crush them for decades. The current generation knows nothing other than war. I bet their parents are the same. Of course the Taliban are extremists. They don't just perceive an attack, they're being attacked. A lot. So it's easy to look at them and say, "fucking extremists," but for Christ's sake, we made them that way. If you beat a dog and it bites you, it's not the dog's fault. To top it off, our reaction to their extremism is what? To try and destroy them for being extreme. If that ain't just the mother of all retardation, I don't know what is. It's pure hypocrisy of the ugliest form. And the sheer Orwellian nature of the west's relationship with the Taliban is shocking. Six months before 9-11, Bush gave the Taliban 5 billion dollars. Because they were allies. When the US invaded Afghanistan, deposing the Taliban was not a war aim (that from the mouth of an American general). It wasn't until about six months into the war, when American's were getting sick of it and needed a boogeyman to hate, that all of a sudden, the Orwell kicked in and suddenly the Taliban were extremist woman haters who needed to die. So what's the trick for the Afghani people? Well no brainer number one seems to me to be to stop killing them. That seems like a good first step. Then we might consider not occupying their country. Then we might consider helping them get to a point where they can trust that they won't be invaded. Then, sadly, we have to let the inevitable civil war play itself out like it did in the 90s, but not interfere this time. Then, when the dust settles, the Afghani people themselves will be able to sort through things. Even if the Taliban came out on top, they wouldn't last. Because when the fever of fear gave way to the sobriety of "help, help, I'm being repressed", the moderates would take over and the country would be healed. But none of that will happen as long as we kill them indiscriminately because we think they're savage extremists forged by their own hand who must be crushed underfoot and put down like a rabid dog.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt