How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2015, 05:55 PM
RE: How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind
(24-07-2015 04:13 PM)Worom Wrote:  It felt exactly like that growing up, my parents were extremely strict. Controlling what I watched, what I read, where I went to school(until they couldn't afford to anymore) Speaking up against my parents was met with very real physical punishment as well until the point where I became submissive and quiet so not to be punished anymore by accidently saying the wrong thing. My dad doing the punishing, my mom wouldn't get involved or intervene. Those malevolent dictator teachings and thinking translated to my home life as a child.
Bloody hell, Christian love is a hell of a thing!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2015, 08:16 PM
(24-07-2015 05:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-07-2015 04:13 PM)Worom Wrote:  It felt exactly like that growing up, my parents were extremely strict. Controlling what I watched, what I read, where I went to school(until they couldn't afford to anymore) Speaking up against my parents was met with very real physical punishment as well until the point where I became submissive and quiet so not to be punished anymore by accidently saying the wrong thing. My dad doing the punishing, my mom wouldn't get involved or intervene. Those malevolent dictator teachings and thinking translated to my home life as a child.
Bloody hell, Christian love is a hell of a thing!

Indeed it is, my sisters in some ways had it even worse off than I did.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
24-07-2015, 08:17 PM
(24-07-2015 10:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Parents, leaders

Children, not fully leaders

But thanks for yet another dig on "inherent Christian concepts" like actually leading your family instead of being a passive wastrel and baby daddy!

Passive wastrel? Bitch, you know nothing. I not only survived nine years in a maximum security prison on charges that just got overturned on appeal for being baseless, and fully exonerating me, once I was allowed (by the court of appeals, not the local, corrupt courts) to actually enter the evidence in my defense, but I thrived in there. I know I'm not the only innocent person who was sent to prison by our corrupt court system, so I'm not whining about that. But it killed me every day to be away from my son, to not be able to be there when he was born, and to not be able to provide for him any more than the meager savings I had built up as an environmentalist and field biologist. The actions of some very selfish, evil people sent me there, and I suffered every day because all I wanted was to be a father to that boy, and husband and partner to that intelligent and beautiful woman. I still suffer because I can't just magically teleport myself to where they are, though I'm glad I'm finally able to take the pressure off his mother to take care of him. To even make a suggestion like that proves you have no humanity, no heart, which is a shame because all I can think about right now is ripping it out of your chest. I know the measure of my manhood, because I've had it measured by the most psychotic people on the planet, and it was they, not I, who were found wanting.

I bet you'd last about nine minutes in there before you got shanked or meat-shanked. I have no doubt in my mind (and I'm a doubting person by nature) that you'd have been pregnant almost immediately.

Matter of fact, every Jesu-babbling motherfucker in there was a fucking child molester (or be guilty of some form of sexual assault), damn near. I never once met an atheist in prison, despite co-founding an atheist study group while I was in and being known as an atheist to the population, who was in there for worse than drugs (or doing something stupid while gakked out on drugs). To be a true sicko, you had to be a Christian or a Muslim, without fail. In fact, the more Jesus the inmate talked, the more certain you could be that they were a rapist or diaper ninja.

Today, I've been away from my shop all day pulling extra jobs, and I'm sitting here at last, covered in brake dust, fiberglass fragments, and motor oil residue because I'm building my old side-business/hobby into a full time job. I have to hurry because my fiancee and kid will be here in about 36 hours, when I'll be taking them down to Louisiana to spend a week with my son's grandparents. Two weeks ago, I took four days off work so I could drive to see him. We haven't been able to move him where I am because he's in a much better school district up there, and until I can get my properties here sold and move up where he is to set up the shop, I'm stuck several hours away, BUSTING MY ASS to be there for him. I'm hot, I'm sweaty, my eyes burn from the welder's glare through the lens (the Balder on my Jackson helmet is getting slow in response time, for reasons no one seems to be able to pin down), and I come here to look at your bitch-ass, telling me about how to be a man through a keyboard?

Fuck you, you little punk. When you finally manage to locate your penis, shove it up your ass.

(24-07-2015 10:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There are 18 Bible references to homosexuality. Perhaps ask her why none of them are in a positive light. I'd be curious to learn her answer and the fruits of your discussion.

Thank you.

After the shit you just pulled, above? I'd fucking choke the life out of your little punk ass before I entered into a Bible discussion with you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-07-2015, 03:24 PM
(24-07-2015 08:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

But thanks for yet another dig on "inherent Christian concepts" like actually leading your family instead of being a passive wastrel and baby daddy!

Passive wastrel? Bitch, you know nothing. I not only survived nine years in a maximum security prison on charges that just got overturned on appeal for being baseless, and fully exonerating me, once I was allowed (by the court of appeals, not the local, corrupt courts) to actually enter the evidence in my defense, but I thrived in there. I know I'm not the only innocent person who was sent to prison by our corrupt court system, so I'm not whining about that. But it killed me every day to be away from my son, to not be able to be there when he was born, and to not be able to provide for him any more than the meager savings I had built up as an environmentalist and field biologist. The actions of some very selfish, evil people sent me there, and I suffered every day because all I wanted was to be a father to that boy, and husband and partner to that intelligent and beautiful woman. I still suffer because I can't just magically teleport myself to where they are, though I'm glad I'm finally able to take the pressure off his mother to take care of him. To even make a suggestion like that proves you have no humanity, no heart, which is a shame because all I can think about right now is ripping it out of your chest. I know the measure of my manhood, because I've had it measured by the most psychotic people on the planet, and it was they, not I, who were found wanting.

I bet you'd last about nine minutes in there before you got shanked or meat-shanked. I have no doubt in my mind (and I'm a doubting person by nature) that you'd have been pregnant almost immediately.

Matter of fact, every Jesu-babbling motherfucker in there was a fucking child molester (or be guilty of some form of sexual assault), damn near. I never once met an atheist in prison, despite co-founding an atheist study group while I was in and being known as an atheist to the population, who was in there for worse than drugs (or doing something stupid while gakked out on drugs). To be a true sicko, you had to be a Christian or a Muslim, without fail. In fact, the more Jesus the inmate talked, the more certain you could be that they were a rapist or diaper ninja.

Today, I've been away from my shop all day pulling extra jobs, and I'm sitting here at last, covered in brake dust, fiberglass fragments, and motor oil residue because I'm building my old side-business/hobby into a full time job. I have to hurry because my fiancee and kid will be here in about 36 hours, when I'll be taking them down to Louisiana to spend a week with my son's grandparents. Two weeks ago, I took four days off work so I could drive to see him. We haven't been able to move him where I am because he's in a much better school district up there, and until I can get my properties here sold and move up where he is to set up the shop, I'm stuck several hours away, BUSTING MY ASS to be there for him. I'm hot, I'm sweaty, my eyes burn from the welder's glare through the lens (the Balder on my Jackson helmet is getting slow in response time, for reasons no one seems to be able to pin down), and I come here to look at your bitch-ass, telling me about how to be a man through a keyboard?

Fuck you, you little punk. When you finally manage to locate your penis, shove it up your ass.

(24-07-2015 10:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There are 18 Bible references to homosexuality. Perhaps ask her why none of them are in a positive light. I'd be curious to learn her answer and the fruits of your discussion.

Thank you.

After the shit you just pulled, above? I'd fucking choke the life out of your little punk ass before I entered into a Bible discussion with you.

Wow.

"When you finally manage to locate your penis, shove it up your ass."

He will have to pull his head out first.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Mark Fulton's post
25-07-2015, 03:47 PM
(17-06-2015 09:52 AM)Worom Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 08:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think you may misunderstand how Hitler changed his rhetoric to suit his audience. Elsewhere, he was clear that he thought Jesus was a weak Jew, and that he abhorred both Jesus's sacrifice and substitutionary atonement! Reminds me of someone... Drinking Beverage

Again, there is difference between making an NTS fallacy and pointing out when someone is so hypocritical, they cannot be an adherent of what they claim to adhere to. To say one is a Christian and then kill priests and nuns in death camps seems more than inconsistent--it makes one's Christianity a front. We're talking about killing thousands of "fellow Christians" and even fellow Catholics who were neither soldiers nor aggressors.

Do you know the etymology of the word "hypocrite"? It comes from the Greek and means "actor". When Jesus calls the rabbis hypocrites, he is saying they may be Jewish religious leaders but only acting regarding their claims of deep personal connections to God. When we say Hitler was a religious hypocrite, we Christians are referring to his play acting at being a Christian to deceive some of the Christians some of the time.

For your first point, you're reminds me of someone implication is a low blow at best. As for Hitler thinking Jesus was a weak jew, that argument doesn't hold up as Hitler doubted Jesus was a Jew at all.

As for the no true scottsman fallacy it does apply, Hitler never renounced the church or his faith, he hated the church's impulses of caring for the weak, infirm, and mentally handicapped, who he wished to destroy. And again he never doubted the divinity of Jesus, just his jewishness.

Credit for below goes to goodwithoutgod, I would use the quote function but it would get reduced down. I made some grammatical modifications to fit within the conversation flow better.

Was Adolf Hitler an atheist? Hitler cannot be called a church going christian, but neither can he be used as an example of an atheist. Hardly the product of an anti-christian childhood and upbringing, he attended mass with his devout mother and was a choirboy, which he quite enjoyed. Indeed, the majesty and pageantry of the church heavily influenced the staging in Nazi rallies and rituals.

Born and raised a roman catholic, Hitler remained a nominal catholic for the rest of his life. he never officially renounced the church or his membership in it, but he was hostile to the church's impulses of caring for the weak, infirm, and mentally handicapped, who he wished to destroy. Hitler never doubted the divinity of Jesus, just his jewishness, convinced that he was actually an Aryan. The portraits of a fair haired, blue eyed Jesus that grace so many American homes would have doubtless met with his approval.

Examples of Hitler's actions
1) When party secretary martin bormann closed a convent, Hitler reversed the order.

2) Hitler allowed the German army to have catholic and protestant chaplains in field. In fact the troops wore a belt buckle embossed with the inscription "god is with us".

3) In endless monologues to those around him, Hitler never once professed to be an atheist or unbeliever in the Abraham god of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. In particular, he had the greatest admiration for Islam, particularly its military tradition.

4) Survivor of over a dozen assassination plots and attempts, Hitler credited "divine providence" and "almighty god" for saving him to complete his great mission. On the eve of the soviet invasion, Hitler ended his address to his troops with "Almighty god bless our arms".

5) The first foreign policy coup of nazi germany was the "Concordat with the Vatican", allowing the church independence and catholic schools ot remain open in exchange for staying out of politics. The church also "welcomed the way" when operation barbarossa..the campaign against the godless soviet union was launched. Hitler, SS chief Heinrich Himmler, and architect of the holocaust Reinhard Heydrich, nominal catholics all, were never excommunicated by the holy sec. To this very day they remain catholics in good standing.

6) When overzealous nazi party officials removed crucifixes from classroom walls in bavaria, hitler personally reversed the order and had them rehung.

Now, some of the myths surrounding hitler's atheism can be attributed to an inaccurate and poorly translated version of Table Talk. Table Talk is a book of transcribed conversations that hitler had with those close to him. Some versions of this book that were translated from german to other languages contained fabricated statements not found in the original german manuscript.

This is all irrelevant, with or without religion good people do good things, evil people will do evil things, for good people to do evil things that takes religion

Thanks for sharing the historyBowing
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
25-07-2015, 04:19 PM
(15-07-2015 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 12:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Word salad? Projecting at its finest.

You are obviously just too stupid to understand that I have pointed out the your argument is illogical in form; you made an invalid inference that has nothing to do with my defending innocence.

I'd say the word salad is yours, since you normally limit your "factual posts" to a sentence or two including, if theists are involved, perjoratives and/or ad hom attacks. [Yawn.]

Children are sinners. Kindly explain why a god shouldn't kill them with natural disasters like floods or earthquakes or leave the argument to those who actually wish to argue. Rolleyes

"Children are sinners. Kindly explain why a god shouldn't kill them with natural disasters like floods or earthquakes..."

Read...the...above...slowly.

Here we have, ladies and gents, a prime and overt example of the immorality that can be engendered by religious belief.

Q will read it too, but his mind will flip into making excuses, because he has been indoctrinated with religious nonsense.
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
25-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Actually, though I'm loath to defend that prick, I think he was just repeating what someone else (most likely me) said about children being amoral creatures (I used the term, "little sociopaths" who "have to be taught morality"). Therefore, the actual English Language Version of what he said there would be:

"If children are sinners, as you say, kindly explain to me why a Just deity shouldn't kill them all. This is what logically flows from your poor theological argument that children are not innocent, the way Christianity claims they are."

At least, that's my best translation.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Mind you, it's a stupid argument, but I think I've at least translated it properly into English.

25-07-2015, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2015 08:47 PM by TheInquisition.)
(15-07-2015 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 12:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Word salad? Projecting at its finest.

You are obviously just too stupid to understand that I have pointed out the your argument is illogical in form; you made an invalid inference that has nothing to do with my defending innocence.

I'd say the word salad is yours, since you normally limit your "factual posts" to a sentence or two including, if theists are involved, perjoratives and/or ad hom attacks. [Yawn.]

Children are sinners. Kindly explain why a god shouldn't kill them with natural disasters like floods or earthquakes or leave the argument to those who actually wish to argue. Rolleyes

Quote:Children are sinners. Kindly explain why a god shouldn't kill them with natural disasters like floods or earthquakes or leave the argument to those who actually wish to argue.
Because Jeebus!

You Q, are a disgusting unevolved primate.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
28-07-2015, 12:49 PM
(24-07-2015 03:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  

"instead of being a passive wastrel and baby daddy"? Where did you get that from what he said?

Right - you got it straight out of your ass.

Sorry, I'm a black-and-white, law of the excluded middle kind of guy. However, one can be passive or a leader. A leader is an influencer, nothing more, nothing less.

[Image: image.jpg]

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.