How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2015, 12:50 PM
RE: How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind
(24-07-2015 03:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 10:56 PM)Worom Wrote:  The effects of being told Evolution is a lie and the Earth is young, pushed me away from biology, geology and astronomy classes because they conflicted with my “belief” because I didn’t want to go to hell by being tricked by the devil.
This is the thing.
Never having been a theist I don't quite understand how the blame for going to hell, lands on the devil's trickery.

It is the god that decides whether you go to heaven or hell.
It is the god that knows everything, and hence knows that you were tricked into believing in evolution.
Can't the all knowing, all loving god, realising that you have been tricked simply re-educate you? Rather than condemn you to eternity of torture?

Why does the blame fall onto the devil and the self and not the god?

What loving parent, knowing their child has been misinformed, resorts to gross and enduring punishment of their child?

It makes me think of people that live under a malevolent dictator like Stalin, Mao, Hitler etc. They end up considering their leader as if they are an all knowing, all seeing god. They fear speaking a bad word of their leader and yet they "love" their leader.
What's so sad about the religious folk is that they often live in a free first world democratic country and yet they imagine being under the hooks of a malevolent dictator leader (god) and behave in a similar way to those that are truly oppressed.

Get out of jail cards come free in Monopoly and the gospel. I can't blame the devil or myself for eternal life! This is why I say atheists are half-full glass people.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2015, 12:52 PM
(24-07-2015 08:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(24-07-2015 10:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Parents, leaders

Children, not fully leaders

But thanks for yet another dig on "inherent Christian concepts" like actually leading your family instead of being a passive wastrel and baby daddy!

Passive wastrel? Bitch, you know nothing. I not only survived nine years in a maximum security prison on charges that just got overturned on appeal for being baseless, and fully exonerating me, once I was allowed (by the court of appeals, not the local, corrupt courts) to actually enter the evidence in my defense, but I thrived in there. I know I'm not the only innocent person who was sent to prison by our corrupt court system, so I'm not whining about that. But it killed me every day to be away from my son, to not be able to be there when he was born, and to not be able to provide for him any more than the meager savings I had built up as an environmentalist and field biologist. The actions of some very selfish, evil people sent me there, and I suffered every day because all I wanted was to be a father to that boy, and husband and partner to that intelligent and beautiful woman. I still suffer because I can't just magically teleport myself to where they are, though I'm glad I'm finally able to take the pressure off his mother to take care of him. To even make a suggestion like that proves you have no humanity, no heart, which is a shame because all I can think about right now is ripping it out of your chest. I know the measure of my manhood, because I've had it measured by the most psychotic people on the planet, and it was they, not I, who were found wanting.

I bet you'd last about nine minutes in there before you got shanked or meat-shanked. I have no doubt in my mind (and I'm a doubting person by nature) that you'd have been pregnant almost immediately.

Matter of fact, every Jesu-babbling motherfucker in there was a fucking child molester (or be guilty of some form of sexual assault), damn near. I never once met an atheist in prison, despite co-founding an atheist study group while I was in and being known as an atheist to the population, who was in there for worse than drugs (or doing something stupid while gakked out on drugs). To be a true sicko, you had to be a Christian or a Muslim, without fail. In fact, the more Jesus the inmate talked, the more certain you could be that they were a rapist or diaper ninja.

Today, I've been away from my shop all day pulling extra jobs, and I'm sitting here at last, covered in brake dust, fiberglass fragments, and motor oil residue because I'm building my old side-business/hobby into a full time job. I have to hurry because my fiancee and kid will be here in about 36 hours, when I'll be taking them down to Louisiana to spend a week with my son's grandparents. Two weeks ago, I took four days off work so I could drive to see him. We haven't been able to move him where I am because he's in a much better school district up there, and until I can get my properties here sold and move up where he is to set up the shop, I'm stuck several hours away, BUSTING MY ASS to be there for him. I'm hot, I'm sweaty, my eyes burn from the welder's glare through the lens (the Balder on my Jackson helmet is getting slow in response time, for reasons no one seems to be able to pin down), and I come here to look at your bitch-ass, telling me about how to be a man through a keyboard?

Fuck you, you little punk. When you finally manage to locate your penis, shove it up your ass.

(24-07-2015 10:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There are 18 Bible references to homosexuality. Perhaps ask her why none of them are in a positive light. I'd be curious to learn her answer and the fruits of your discussion.

Thank you.

After the shit you just pulled, above? I'd fucking choke the life out of your little punk ass before I entered into a Bible discussion with you.

...So you weren't passive, you were giving your all. That's good. I have no doubts you are a passionate parent and spouse and doing your best. I'm sorry for offending you with my post.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
28-07-2015, 01:29 PM
(28-07-2015 12:50 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Get out of jail cards come free in Monopoly and the gospel. I can't blame the devil or myself for eternal life! This is why I say atheists are half-full glass people.
Yes, atheists aren't willing to optimistically believe in a god for the sake of a dream of eternal life or for the sake of avoiding torture at the hands of an "all loving" god.

We need evidence before accepting the fairtytale that many Christians spout.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
29-07-2015, 08:23 AM
(28-07-2015 01:29 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 12:50 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Get out of jail cards come free in Monopoly and the gospel. I can't blame the devil or myself for eternal life! This is why I say atheists are half-full glass people.
Yes, atheists aren't willing to optimistically believe in a god for the sake of a dream of eternal life or for the sake of avoiding torture at the hands of an "all loving" god.

What kind of evidence? Incontrovertible? Casual? Causal? Logical? Remember, your conversion from skeptic to Christian will be a big change with much invested and much lost, even before you really start to live the Christian life. Therefore, your will is going to fight like a sonofagun against this change.

If I heard the Moon landings were faked, I'd need a lot of very serious evidence to even entertain such a wacky notion. If I was told my eternal destiny was a lie, I'd need some awesome evidence.

Who do you think would be more efficacious at providing such vital evidence? Me or God?

Before you come back with a one liner like "God don't exist, son, so that won't occur..." please read the sentence above one more time, slowly.

29-07-2015, 08:50 AM
(29-07-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 01:29 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yes, atheists aren't willing to optimistically believe in a god for the sake of a dream of eternal life or for the sake of avoiding torture at the hands of an "all loving" god.

What kind of evidence? Incontrovertible? Casual? Causal? Logical? Remember, your conversion from skeptic to Christian will be a big change with much invested and much lost, even before you really start to live the Christian life. Therefore, your will is going to fight like a sonofagun against this change.

If I heard the Moon landings were faked, I'd need a lot of very serious evidence to even entertain such a wacky notion. If I was told my eternal destiny was a lie, I'd need some awesome evidence.

Who do you think would be more efficacious at providing such vital evidence? Me or God?

Before you come back with a one liner like "God don't exist, son, so that won't occur..." please read the sentence above one more time, slowly.

Do you after all your time here not really grasp how a natural state is not believing. Like the position a infant has and that any claim of knowledge or belief is one that needs evidence providing?

Or do you disbelief this on some grounds? And on what level do you not think that is the case. Do you think that some babies are born christian babies? Or Muslim babies? Hindi babies? Or are they all Christians they just don't know it, since that's apparently the truth faith.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-07-2015, 12:13 PM
(15-07-2015 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Children are sinners. Kindly explain why a god shouldn't kill them with natural disasters like floods or earthquakes or leave the argument to those who actually wish to argue. Rolleyes

Well, it hardly seems fair, given that god's damnation rules are so dependent on people's free will being exercised towards their salvation or damnation. And it's especially unfair to those humans who survive past about age 7 or so. Your god values free will so much that he creates creatures who must, being born sinful, use it to choose him, or otherwise be damned. It's hardly even-handed of god to exempt huge numbers of humans who are too young to exercise their free will to choose salvation, being without fully developed brains, by killing them in natural disasters. It seems almost as if your god is afraid to let those kids live long enough to make their choice. It's kind of disingenuous of your god to take thousands of humans into his bosom before they've had the chance to say they want to be there.

On a separate note, I sometimes wonder about those infant Hitlers and Ted Bundies killed in earthquakes, fires, floods, etc. Your Heaven may be filled with serial killers. It's definitely, by your implication, filled with spirits that never got to exercise free will. (Unless you're arguing that your god sends all dead infants straight to hell, that would make more sense.)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
29-07-2015, 01:51 PM
(29-07-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 01:29 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yes, atheists aren't willing to optimistically believe in a god for the sake of a dream of eternal life or for the sake of avoiding torture at the hands of an "all loving" god.

What kind of evidence?
Convincing evidence, not a silly nonsensical unsupported book or wide eyed people preaching "Truth".

(29-07-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Remember, your conversion from skeptic to Christian will be a big change with much invested and much lost, even before you really start to live the Christian life.
Even if it were proven that the Christian god existed, I wouldn't worship it. I'd seek a way to either kill or contain it. According to the bible it seems sadistic and overbearing and random. Satan in the bible seems much more pleasant that the god of the bible. Hell Hitler seem much more pleasant than the god of the bible.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
30-07-2015, 10:22 AM
(29-07-2015 08:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What kind of evidence? Incontrovertible? Casual? Causal? Logical? Remember, your conversion from skeptic to Christian will be a big change with much invested and much lost, even before you really start to live the Christian life. Therefore, your will is going to fight like a sonofagun against this change.

Do you after all your time here not really grasp how a natural state is not believing. Like the position a infant has and that any claim of knowledge or belief is one that needs evidence providing?

Or do you disbelief this on some grounds? And on what level do you not think that is the case. Do you think that some babies are born christian babies? Or Muslim babies? Hindi babies? Or are they all Christians they just don't know it, since that's apparently the truth faith.

It IS a natural human state to be skeptical, and about many different things. Yes.

But I think before we go into religious babies, we should decide whether or not:

Are there any absolute facts?

Are there any absolute values?

Are there any absolute morals?

Because "laws" tend to have law givers.

30-07-2015, 10:24 AM
(29-07-2015 12:13 PM)julep Wrote:  
(15-07-2015 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Children are sinners. Kindly explain why a god shouldn't kill them with natural disasters like floods or earthquakes or leave the argument to those who actually wish to argue. Rolleyes

Well, it hardly seems fair, given that god's damnation rules are so dependent on people's free will being exercised towards their salvation or damnation. And it's especially unfair to those humans who survive past about age 7 or so. Your god values free will so much that he creates creatures who must, being born sinful, use it to choose him, or otherwise be damned. It's hardly even-handed of god to exempt huge numbers of humans who are too young to exercise their free will to choose salvation, being without fully developed brains, by killing them in natural disasters. It seems almost as if your god is afraid to let those kids live long enough to make their choice. It's kind of disingenuous of your god to take thousands of humans into his bosom before they've had the chance to say they want to be there.

On a separate note, I sometimes wonder about those infant Hitlers and Ted Bundies killed in earthquakes, fires, floods, etc. Your Heaven may be filled with serial killers. It's definitely, by your implication, filled with spirits that never got to exercise free will. (Unless you're arguing that your god sends all dead infants straight to hell, that would make more sense.)

I don't think 7- and 8-year-olds can go to Hell. So I don't get what you're saying here.

Babies, toddlers, kids, the mentally infirm, going to Heaven. Jesus said, "Of such [children!] is the Kingdom!"

But without the Bible, simple logic would tell us any god with the notions of justice we share with it would let all kids into Heaven.

30-07-2015, 10:25 AM
(29-07-2015 01:51 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What kind of evidence?
Convincing evidence, not a silly nonsensical unsupported book or wide eyed people preaching "Truth".

(29-07-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Remember, your conversion from skeptic to Christian will be a big change with much invested and much lost, even before you really start to live the Christian life.
Even if it were proven that the Christian god existed, I wouldn't worship it. I'd seek a way to either kill or contain it. According to the bible it seems sadistic and overbearing and random. Satan in the bible seems much more pleasant that the god of the bible. Hell Hitler seem much more pleasant than the god of the bible.

Hitler threw some good parties, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend eternity in his company... no, no, I'm definitely sure.

You see, you can ask any atheist if the Holocaust was a wrong thing, an evil, and they'd say YES!