How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 09:12 AM
RE: How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind
The term “healthy church“ is an oxymoron.

An institution born upon ignorance fantasy and lies is anything but healthy. Add to that the Abrahamaic monotheistic faiths are death cults and well, it is all down hill from there. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
05-06-2015, 09:33 AM
(04-06-2015 08:38 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... I'd obviously prefer you were in a healthy church then living as a skeptic.

Interesting use of adverbs. Church typically does lead to skepticism but it's not required.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-06-2015, 09:43 AM
I'm glad you have found peace Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Welcome to reason. I hope you are in a much better place now. It is great to hear that science with all it's beauty and elegance was the catalyst for you. Do you plan to pursue a career in science?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
This is one of my main problems with organised religion: the indoctrination of children.

Kids are like a blank canvas and will soak up ideas and beliefs and those ideas and beliefs can grow very deep roots by the time the child develops a more developed cognitive thought process.
What makes it worse is that kids heads (as yours did) get filled with the most terrifying horror stories.

I'm glad you have made it through to the other side! Hug

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 1 user Likes LostLegend's post
05-06-2015, 11:05 AM
(05-06-2015 10:08 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Welcome to reason. I hope you are in a much better place now. It is great to hear that science with all it's beauty and elegance was the catalyst for you. Do you plan to pursue a career in science?

Eventually yes, I live in the U.S. so getting a college education is extremely expensive and I don't have the income at this point to support it (undergrad degree would probably cost 40k total just in tuition) . I'm in the spot of I make enough money not to qualify for any financial help, but not enough to actually support the tuition costs.

I've always been really interested in Chemistry I was actually pretty good at it in my honors chemistry classes in high school. I think I would pursue organic chemistry as my field of study might even try for a PHD someday.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
05-06-2015, 11:15 AM
(04-06-2015 09:08 AM)Worom Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 08:38 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Wow, I'm sorry to hear all this. I think your family has some serious issues, and perhaps their church, too. That's one reason I do what I do as a witnessing Christian. Some of my ministry is with people who grew up in a cult or some messed-up church. I'm glad you are feeling relief from the pain now. I mean that, even though I'd obviously prefer you were in a healthy church then living as a skeptic.

What I didn't post above is that my parents made me follow them into differing Churches throughout the years as we tended to move around the country a lot. I think the longest time we were in a single location was 6 years, with more common being about 2-3 years, and each time we would end up going to a new church, it wasn't one specific church that I had to attend throughout my life. They all tended to be non-denomination churches which is a contradiction in terms in of itself since non-denominational is well a denomination. And besides that most of my guidance as a kid came from my parents, along with sunday school and normal service "teachings".

Based on what I went through, there is no such thing as a healthy Church.

To answer you and Airport Kid, OCD runs in families. I see it in what your parents did and they did things and behaviors that would be aberrant in non-church parents, too. Again, I'm happy that you took some stressors out of your life. No one should make even Heaven/Hell decisions during times of extreme stress, unless they are minutes away from death's door itself.

I'm happy you cleared your mind of certain stressors but you should address your OCD issues as well as get counseling. Perhaps your parents would even be willing to go to counseling as well--but I doubt they approve of counseling since they seem Bible-compulsive.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
(05-06-2015 11:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 09:08 AM)Worom Wrote:  What I didn't post above is that my parents made me follow them into differing Churches throughout the years as we tended to move around the country a lot. I think the longest time we were in a single location was 6 years, with more common being about 2-3 years, and each time we would end up going to a new church, it wasn't one specific church that I had to attend throughout my life. They all tended to be non-denomination churches which is a contradiction in terms in of itself since non-denominational is well a denomination. And besides that most of my guidance as a kid came from my parents, along with sunday school and normal service "teachings".

Based on what I went through, there is no such thing as a healthy Church.

To answer you and Airport Kid, OCD runs in families. I see it in what your parents did and they did things and behaviors that would be aberrant in non-church parents, too. Again, I'm happy that you took some stressors out of your life. No one should make even Heaven/Hell decisions during times of extreme stress, unless they are minutes away from death's door itself.

I'm happy you cleared your mind of certain stressors but you should address your OCD issues as well as get counseling. Perhaps your parents would even be willing to go to counseling as well--but I doubt they approve of counseling since they seem Bible-compulsive.

If the OCD comes back again for any reason then I will speak to my doctor about it. As for counseling, I might consider it would definitely be a councillor that is secular though.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
05-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Question I asked of Q some posts back:

(04-06-2015 08:57 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  ... What are some guidelines to help a person distinguish a "messed-up" church from a "healthy" one? In case you find some church attractive enough to get involved in it. What would be "warning" signs that the church is "messed-up"?

Answer:

(05-06-2015 11:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... To answer you and Airport Kid, OCD runs in families ...

Huh

Answer the question, Q, don't disrespect me by addressing me by name and then dishonestly represent your response as answer. That doesn't just disrespect me it disrespects the entire board.

Your post which prompted my question clearly showed you believe there are "messed-up" churches and "healthy" churches. Those are your descriptors, and I can only assume your intention was to describe exactly what they connote. You also expressed dismay that the OP had gotten involved with a "messed-up" church.

It is therefore a reasonable question to ask how one goes about distinguishing "messed-up" churches from the "healthy" ones. The hazards of getting involved with a "messed-up" church can be dire and such churches should be avoided.

How do you tell?
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
06-06-2015, 10:32 AM
(04-06-2015 09:08 AM)Worom Wrote:  Based on what I went through, there is no such thing as a healthy Church.
I would say there is a wide spread of unhealthiness between different churches, and there are plenty which by comparison to the kinds of churches your parents evidently were attracted to, were healthy. It's all relative. But I have concluded that the best bet is to dispense with theism altogether.

And I would agree with your statement as far as it goes. I wouldn't take it so far as to say that nothing healthy or well adjusted ever happens in any kind of church; but on balance, the world would be a better place without religious ideation.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post