How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2015, 12:10 PM
RE: How Religion Nearly Shattered my Mind
(11-06-2015 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "What are you, stupid, Q? Everyone just kind of, um, knows, it's better to feed people than kill them, because, um, it just kind of is!" or the ever-popular "Darwin blah-blah-blah ratiocinated societal greater good economic blah-blah-blah economically inefficient to bury Jews blah-blah-blah" THE HOLOCAUST WAS RUN BY THE NAZIS AT A SUBSTANTIAL ECONOMIC PROFIT. A lot of you have socio-economic worldviews that would justify the Holocaust. That disgusts me.
That one post to which I was referring did not invoke any of that.

And bringing up Hitler? You've gone over the deep end with that one. The one time you actually answer me and you go that route.

What is wrong is with you? No, don't answer that. I'm sure the next answer will be STALIN AND LENIN!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
11-06-2015, 02:45 PM
(11-06-2015 10:57 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  1.) Matthew 19:29 - Abandon your wife and children for Jesus
2.) Matthew 10:34-36 - Jesus has come to destroy families by making members hate each other. He comes not to send peace but a sword.
3.) Matthew 8:21 - Let the dead bury the dead. Or in other words, fuck your father, come follow me.
4.) Matthew 10:27 - Jesus warns us not to love our parents and children too much.
5.) Luke 14:26 - he commands his disciples to hate their families, (mothers, brothers, sisters, fathers, etc) and themselves. That's nice.
6.) Luke 7:8-10 - It's ok to lie and deceive. Jesus did it.
7.) I Corinthians 7:5 - Don't have sex...even if you're married...but if you must, eh i guess it's ok to avoid being tempted by Satan.
8.) Ephesians 5: 22-24 - Wives must submit to their husbands. This produces some correlation with the OT that women were half of a man's value.
9.) I Timothy 5:3-10 - you should help a widow, only if she has no children or nephews, is desolate, trusts in god, prays all the time, is not living in pleasure, is over 60 years old, had only one husband, has lodged strangers, has washed saints' feet, relieved the afflicted and diligently followed every good work.That's a lot of requirements just to help someone who needs help.
10.) 1 Peter 3:2-6 - wives are not to braid their hair, wear gold, or put on apparel.

There are hundreds more where these come from. The commands to commit controversial actions seem mercilessly strung out in the NT just as much as the OT. It really does send a mixed signal. Sad

You so clearly and completely took those out of context.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-06-2015, 04:08 PM
(11-06-2015 02:45 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  You so clearly and completely took those out of context.

I love that video! It's one of my faves. Glad I could do it justice in the real world!

**Crickets** -- God
15-06-2015, 07:53 AM
(11-06-2015 10:26 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You and everyone blew right past my points, of course. I was writing that there are many times when a Christian SHOULD NOT help others. Namely, if it's getting in the way of the preaching! There are mainline Christian groups who are so into "the social gospel" they forget about the gospel!

I'm neither insisting heathens are horrible nor that Christians do more good works than others. I know some non-Christians who do more for others than Christians do IMHO--at least touching material needs.

No, the real issue is that Christians have objective reasons for helping others and also what you would call subjective reasons that are correct. Wasn't Hitler helping the Aryans by killing Jews? I'd ask you why your helping feed the hungry is better than killing Jews, but your answers are sure-fire guaranteed to fall into two categories:

"What are you, stupid, Q? Everyone just kind of, um, knows, it's better to feed people than kill them, because, um, it just kind of is!" or the ever-popular "Darwin blah-blah-blah ratiocinated societal greater good economic blah-blah-blah economically inefficient to bury Jews blah-blah-blah" THE HOLOCAUST WAS RUN BY THE NAZIS AT A SUBSTANTIAL ECONOMIC PROFIT. A lot of you have socio-economic worldviews that would justify the Holocaust. That disgusts me.

What the actual fuck?

Q Wrote:I was writing that there are many times when a Christian SHOULD NOT help others. Namely, if it's getting in the way of the preaching!

He is religiously insane. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2015, 08:01 AM
(11-06-2015 02:45 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  You so clearly and completely took those out of context.

Ha! Aussies did that.

We are very much a godless nation.

I am so proud. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-06-2015, 10:17 AM
(11-06-2015 10:54 AM)Worom Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You and everyone blew right past my points, of course. I was writing that there are many times when a Christian SHOULD NOT help others. Namely, if it's getting in the way of the preaching! There are mainline Christian groups who are so into "the social gospel" they forget about the gospel!

I'm neither insisting heathens are horrible nor that Christians do more good works than others. I know some non-Christians who do more for others than Christians do IMHO--at least touching material needs.

No, the real issue is that Christians have objective reasons for helping others and also what you would call subjective reasons that are correct. Wasn't Hitler helping the Aryans by killing Jews? I'd ask you why your helping feed the hungry is better than killing Jews, but your answers are sure-fire guaranteed to fall into two categories:

"What are you, stupid, Q? Everyone just kind of, um, knows, it's better to feed people than kill them, because, um, it just kind of is!" or the ever-popular "Darwin blah-blah-blah ratiocinated societal greater good economic blah-blah-blah economically inefficient to bury Jews blah-blah-blah" THE HOLOCAUST WAS RUN BY THE NAZIS AT A SUBSTANTIAL ECONOMIC PROFIT. A lot of you have socio-economic worldviews that would justify the Holocaust. That disgusts me.

I second the what the actual fuck statement that was given, I see that Godwin's law has now been invoked. On another note Hitler was Catholic and sincerely believed based on his writings that he was doing the work of God. Your argument that a lot of "us" have socio-economic worldviews that would justify the holocaust quite frankly disgusts me to no end. You make that accusation with no evidence and no basis and seems to be driven out of spite. You sir epitomize how toxic religion is and have in a single stroke invalidated every single argument you have made in this thread and have proven my original post still holds very true.

And since we are down the rabbit hole now, I will present you the following I'm stealing the argument from the true scotsman but it has an incredible amount of power. Lets see if you can answer it

1. If existence has metaphysical primacy over consciousness, then the Christian God does not exist.

2. Existence has metaphysical primacy over consciousness.

Therefore the Christian God does not exist.

Hitler stopped going to church as a pre-teen and spent most of his adult life hassling Christians, Jews and other theists. If he's a Christian, most TTA members would be as well!

I'm glad you think existence has primacy over consciousness. The issue is not the dichotomies of consciousness and existence but whether you believe consciousness is an abstraction or a reality. Hint: If you think your personal consciousness/sentience is an abstraction, you are asserting you don't exist. Since both my consciousness and God's being/consciousness are self-evident to me, I would assert that I exist and God exists.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
15-06-2015, 10:19 AM
(11-06-2015 10:57 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 08:09 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Um, no. The Bible actually calls Christians to have these priorities:

1. Preach

2. Help poor and needy Christians

3. Help poor and needy non-Christians

It takes a lot of time, money and effort to do all three well. Be a little more thankful for others' sake. I support several families in Africa and Asia (non-Christians) off my limited income besides giving to my church and preaching. You?

And you ought to understand our view with more tolerance. If I feed a hungry person, which I do, he will hunger again. Salvation is permanent.

I like these priorities better because they encompass the asininity of the Christian religion:

1.) Matthew 19:29 - Abandon your wife and children for Jesus
2.) Matthew 10:34-36 - Jesus has come to destroy families by making members hate each other. He comes not to send peace but a sword.
3.) Matthew 8:21 - Let the dead bury the dead. Or in other words, fuck your father, come follow me.
4.) Matthew 10:27 - Jesus warns us not to love our parents and children too much.
5.) Luke 14:26 - he commands his disciples to hate their families, (mothers, brothers, sisters, fathers, etc) and themselves. That's nice.
6.) Luke 7:8-10 - It's ok to lie and deceive. Jesus did it.
7.) I Corinthians 7:5 - Don't have sex...even if you're married...but if you must, eh i guess it's ok to avoid being tempted by Satan.
8.) Ephesians 5: 22-24 - Wives must submit to their husbands. This produces some correlation with the OT that women were half of a man's value.
9.) I Timothy 5:3-10 - you should help a widow, only if she has no children or nephews, is desolate, trusts in god, prays all the time, is not living in pleasure, is over 60 years old, had only one husband, has lodged strangers, has washed saints' feet, relieved the afflicted and diligently followed every good work.That's a lot of requirements just to help someone who needs help.
10.) 1 Peter 3:2-6 - wives are not to braid their hair, wear gold, or put on apparel.

There are hundreds more where these come from. The commands to commit controversial actions seem mercilessly strung out in the NT just as much as the OT. It really does send a mixed signal. Sad

Since all 10 of these quotes are hopelessly out of context, perhaps you would suggest one or two at a time and allow me to correct you, so we both may broaden our understating. For one example, 1 Peter says, "not mere adornment" that is--a wife is more than her clothing. It doesn't say women should wear no makeup and black, frumpy dresses only. And I'm sure the Bible doesn't say "women shouldn't put on apparel" as you wrote--that would make them naked in public. Drinking Beverage

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
15-06-2015, 10:19 AM
(15-06-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 10:54 AM)Worom Wrote:  I second the what the actual fuck statement that was given, I see that Godwin's law has now been invoked. On another note Hitler was Catholic and sincerely believed based on his writings that he was doing the work of God. Your argument that a lot of "us" have socio-economic worldviews that would justify the holocaust quite frankly disgusts me to no end. You make that accusation with no evidence and no basis and seems to be driven out of spite. You sir epitomize how toxic religion is and have in a single stroke invalidated every single argument you have made in this thread and have proven my original post still holds very true.

And since we are down the rabbit hole now, I will present you the following I'm stealing the argument from the true scotsman but it has an incredible amount of power. Lets see if you can answer it

1. If existence has metaphysical primacy over consciousness, then the Christian God does not exist.

2. Existence has metaphysical primacy over consciousness.

Therefore the Christian God does not exist.

Hitler stopped going to church as a pre-teen and spent most of his adult life hassling Christians, Jews and other theists. If he's a Christian, most TTA members would be as well!

I'm glad you think existence has primacy over consciousness. The issue is not the dichotomies of consciousness and existence but whether you believe consciousness is an abstraction or a reality. Hint: If you think your personal consciousness/sentience is an abstraction, you are asserting you don't exist. Since both my consciousness and God's being/consciousness are self-evident to me, I would assert that I exist and God exists.

I read Mein Kampf motherfucker. Do better!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-06-2015, 08:42 AM
(15-06-2015 10:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hitler stopped going to church as a pre-teen and spent most of his adult life hassling Christians, Jews and other theists. If he's a Christian, most TTA members would be as well!

I read Mein Kampf motherfucker. Do better!

Doing better than Mein Kampf wouldn't be difficult.

16-06-2015, 08:53 AM
(16-06-2015 08:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 10:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I read Mein Kampf motherfucker. Do better!

Doing better than Mein Kampf wouldn't be difficult.

And yet, that is STILL less violent than the bible.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post