How Religious Insanity Begins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2012, 11:27 AM
How Religious Insanity Begins
We know how Judaism got here. An 11th century ex-Canaanite warlord named David banded together a bunch of ragtag settlements, then made up a history of "Israel" to control the population and make them think this warlord had a covenant with the local tyrant god, who couldn't even keep his side of the covenant for more than 2 generations.

We know how Christianity got here. A disenfranchised Pharisee named Paul heard rumors about one of many so-called messiahs who had lived about 30 years earlier, and he made up a new religion to replace the Jewish one he had been forced to follow by his parents. He didn't know anything about the physical life of some dude named Joshua (how the hell do we get Jesus from Joshua?), but he made up an entire religion about him and bow beat women and slaves to go along with him.

We know how Islam got here. Some nomad got ahold of some bad 'shrooms and took out his hatred for the snooty girls that wouldn't go to prom with him and made up a religion that would kill his enemies (See the movie "Carrie" for the reason this pathetic nomad wanted to go medieval on the world).

How do these religions spread so quickly? Surely it can't be that easy to make up a new religion and have it affect the surrounding culture so completely that future generations carry it on, albeit with different and strange variations the longer the religion lasts.

Or is it easy to see how wacky religion is, and how quickly it spreads into lunatic rituals.

I first learned about Cargo Cults when I read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Briefly, Cargo Cults represent aboriginal religions that popped up on South Pacific Islands after WW2. Islanders were so shocked by the advanced cultures of "the white men" who arrived with planes filled with wonderful and magical Cargo. When the soldiers and technology and cargo departed after the war, these tribes went on to build replica airfields and replica bamboo airplanes to worship the Great Planes from beyond the sky, praying that more Cargo will arrive. Probably the best proof of how religion deludes the human mind with it's promises based on wishful thinking.

Enjoy:

Cargo Cults

[Image: cargo_cult_plane.jpg]

[Image: john_rifles-paul_raffaele.jpg]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
RE: How Religious Insanity Begins
What's even funnier is an American Christian with a PhD in Social Psychology.
These poor people are just victims of extreme ignorance.
What’s the Christians excuse?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
it ends with "... proposed that all religions began in this manner".

All?

Methinks: David Icke, mormonism, scientology (ok, this does have extraterrestrials but the believers can't really be classed as primitive (no, wait, maybe primate-ive)).

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-03-2012, 12:02 PM
(03-03-2012 11:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  it ends with "... proposed that all religions began in this manner".

All?

Methinks: David Icke, mormonism, scientology (ok, this does have extraterrestrials but the believers can't really be classed as primitive (no, wait, maybe primate-ive)).

This particular video was the shortest I could find on the topic (I have Internet A.D.D.), but unfortunately this one has an "ancient alien" bias. But the clips used are from an authentic anthropology documentary made in the 60s or 70s, where no David Icke-ian claims are made.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
03-03-2012, 06:07 PM
At about 50:00 he starts into John Frum religion. This isn't the documentary you were looking for, but you get a little peek into how much at least this island has changed over the years. Currently they have a prophet for Christianity on the island and the guy who is an Anglican Priest can't be happier. If you watch the whole way through, there is a part where he does a witchcraft ceremony. I was laughing my ass off and at the same time wondering why he is on the show if he has so much problem with other religions. He is funny to watch.. Watching the film made me sad and disgusted at Christianity, because they are so intent on the spread of religion, that they don't seem to help in advancing those societies unless it helps their religion. I might be biased, but given the stories, that's one thing that I got out of it. Not to mention the wide influence of Christianity and Islam. It's a long road for reason.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
03-03-2012, 06:19 PM
(03-03-2012 06:07 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  At about 50:00 he starts into John Frum religion. This isn't the documentary you were looking for, but you get a little peek into how much at least this island has changed over the years. Currently they have a prophet for Christianity on the island and the guy who is an Anglican Priest can't be happier. If you watch the whole way through, there is a part where he does a witchcraft ceremony. I was laughing my ass off and at the same time wondering why he is on the show if he has so much problem with other religions. He is funny to watch.. Watching the film made me sad and disgusted at Christianity, because they are so intent on the spread of religion, that they don't seem to help in advancing those societies unless it helps their religion. I might be biased, but given the stories, that's one thing that I got out of it. Not to mention the wide influence of Christianity and Islam. It's a long road for reason.

Yeah, John Frum is the dude. It's so frickin' obvious that people are easily deluded because they don't understand the way the world works so they feel they must attribute the unexplained to a God. It's plain to see the world's religions are no different than these superstitious islanders.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Well Erx, first this happens:

[Image: 250px-HumanNewborn.JPG]

Then this happens, or something like it:

[Image: star13-710895.jpg]

Also this is how cuss words are invented. Then this happens:

[Image: megachurch-344.jpg]

No that's not a concert... that's church.

It's the END OF TIMES

[Image: Judgement%20Day.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2012, 08:05 PM
(03-03-2012 06:54 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It's the END OF TIMES

[Image: Judgement%20Day.gif]

The End of Times looks bitchin'!

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-03-2012, 01:24 AM
The creation of new religions (such as Scientology or Unitarianism) within our lifetimes really forces us to ask theists the question: if religion can be manufactured, then what evidence is there that your religion wasn't manufactured? The Mormons may of course claim that it's based on the ancient Christian religion, although it appears more to be a hijacking and rebranding of Christianity... and the Christians claim that their religion is ancient, although it also appears to be a hijacking and rebranding of Judaism... but even now archaeologists have discovered the start of the Jewish religions, and they not only don't go back to the Garden of Eden but they didn't even start with the creation of Israel.

You didn't cite it, Exormai, so allow me to do it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
04-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Such an excellent documentary.

I like this version because the presenter is a hawt smart chick with a British accent!

~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post