How Single Issue Voters can Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
How Single Issue Voters can Control
It occurred to me many years ago how single issue voters can control things, it is actually very simple.

The thought arose (what a wonderful word in this context) during what became a contentious debate in San Francisco regarding regulating activities in homosexual sex clubs. Distribution of condoms and very much suggesting their use was a primary issue. Many in the homosexual community resisted this regulation. Mind you this was in the early stages of the HIV epidemic and seemed sensible to an outside observer.

At the time the percentage of San Franciscans that were self identified as homosexual was something like 10%. Elections are regularly decided by single digit percentages if a politician pisses off 10% of the population they could very easily lose an election. Politicians needless to say danced carefully around this issue.

Single issue voters can very much effect politicians. They do this because of how narrow a margin most elections are decided.

There are multiple examples of how this effects national politics; The continued power of the gun lobby in face of the fact that a significant percentage of americans want some reasonable gun controls; The subservience to Israel allowing it to dominate mideast politics; The irrational power of farmers to continue unnecessary and damaging land use policies and subsidies; The power of the religious to control social equity issues (waning in some places). The list is very long.

Single issue voters can control local and national politics because so often elections are decided by a small percentage of voters. Single issue voters know this and so know that even if they are acting counter to the public good they will get their way.

I do not negate the power of money in politics, that is also very great. I only point out that on the periphery single issue voters also hold great power.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
RE: How Single Issue Voters can Control
(01-06-2013 01:45 PM)JAH Wrote:  It occurred to me many years ago how single issue voters can control things, it is actually very simple.

The thought arose (what a wonderful word in this context) during what became a contentious debate in San Francisco regarding regulating activities in homosexual sex clubs. Distribution of condoms and very much suggesting their use was a primary issue. Many in the homosexual community resisted this regulation. Mind you this was in the early stages of the HIV epidemic and seemed sensible to an outside observer.

At the time the percentage of San Franciscans that were self identified as homosexual was something like 10%. Elections are regularly decided by single digit percentages if a politician pisses off 10% of the population they could very easily lose an election. Politicians needless to say danced carefully around this issue.

Single issue voters can very much effect politicians. They do this because of how narrow a margin most elections are decided.

There are multiple examples of how this effects national politics; The continued power of the gun lobby in face of the fact that a significant percentage of americans want some reasonable gun controls; The subservience to Israel allowing it to dominate mideast politics; The irrational power of farmers to continue unnecessary and damaging land use policies and subsidies; The power of the religious to control social equity issues (waning in some places). The list is very long.

Single issue voters can control local and national politics because so often elections are decided by a small percentage of voters. Single issue voters know this and so know that even if they are acting counter to the public good they will get their way.

I do not negate the power of money in politics, that is also very great. I only point out that on the periphery single issue voters also hold great power.

Single issue voting, or at least voting on a narrow range of topics, explains the influence of religion on the GOP in particular. The Christian Coalition types are a large enough segment of the GOP, but they pull an outsized weight due to their narrow focus of topics they vote on religiously (pun intended).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply