How To Get Positive Rep?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2013, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:20 PM by DLJ.)
RE: How To Get Positive Rep?
(12-01-2013 01:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 07:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  In other words, even by not using the 'rep' functionality one is still sending a message.

Fuck. ... Consider ... I never even thought of it that way before. I use the like button a lot for posts I find interesting and/or entertaining but generally just ignore the rep shit. ... Doesn't look like I've repped you yet, and now I'm not sure whether to give you a positive for your excellent poetry and pleasant disposition or a negative for pointing out cracks in Girly's solipsistic world view. ... Aw fuck it, don't think I've ever given negative rep before (Chas can check me on this) so I guess I'll spend the rest of the day trying to figure who I should've repped because I really appreciate the totality of their contributions and haven't acknowledged it. ... Fuck, this is gonna take some time and effort.

So sorry to have upset your day but I'm happy to have made a difference.

And thank you for those kind words.

I have been wondering about how people use the 'like'. I use it as do you and perhaps am a little bit more generous to newbies than with the old-timers.

What I've really noticed recently is that some people seem really hard to impress i.e. their 'received' vastly outweighs their 'given'. Ghost is the really obvious example but there are many more.

If I was a better analyst I'd be tempted to look for some patterns. I'm not, so instead... an hypothesis... the higher the intelligence (judging by articularityness / education / worldliness) the lower the 'likes given' count.

Consider

There does intelligence = arrogance or obliviousnessosity?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Liked it just to please you, DLJ (if that's even possible Smartass )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-01-2013, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-01-2013 02:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If I was a better analyst I'd be tempted to look for some patterns. I'm not, so instead... an hypothesis... the higher the intelligence (judging by articularityness / education / worldliness) the lower the 'likes given' count.

From what nether region you pull that hypothesis out of? A more obvious hypothesis is the lower the ratio between likes given and likes received the more arrogant and less empathetic the member is.

(12-01-2013 02:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  There does intelligence = arrogance or obliviousnessosity?

Intelligence is most certainly not positively correlated with arrogance. In fact it's probably inversely correlated. In my job I work with a number of world class universities. The gods in their field never come across as arrogant. In fact they will go out of their way to try to bring the cookies down to a shelf low enough for me to reach without exhibiting even a hint of frustration. The wannabe gods on the other hand, well they can be arrogant fucking pricks who just dismiss me out of hand if I don't immediately appreciate the "genius" of their work. ... I typically respond by cutting off their funding 'cause I don't understand what they're doing. ... Fucking idiots.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-01-2013, 02:40 PM
(12-01-2013 02:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  From what nether region you pull that hypothesis out of? A more obvious hypothesis is the lower the ratio between likes given and likes received the more arrogant and less empathetic the member is.

Intelligence is most certainly not positively correlated with arrogance. In fact it's probably inversely correlated. In my job I work with a number of world class universities. The gods in their field never come across as arrogant. In fact they will go out of their way to try to bring the cookies down to a shelf low enough for me to reach without exhibiting even a hint of frustration. The wannabe gods on the other hand, well they can be arrogant fucking pricks who just dismiss me out of hand if I don't immediately appreciate the "genius" of their work. ... I typically respond by cutting off their funding 'cause I don't understand what they're doing. ... Fucking idiots.
[Image: calvin-college-tipping-hat.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I want reps /cry

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
12-01-2013, 03:00 PM
(12-01-2013 02:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I want reps /cry

I wish I could Sadcryface

Tongue

12-01-2013, 03:46 PM

SHHH, shhh, shh. *reps*

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
12-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Looks like that thread on Eugenics ain't doin you any favors, RIED. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
12-01-2013, 08:52 PM

Shocking

Like I said in post #4... begging! Laughat

Consider

Seems to have worked though. Big Grin

12-01-2013, 10:54 PM
(12-01-2013 01:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 07:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  In other words, even by not using the 'rep' functionality one is still sending a message.

Fuck. ... Consider ... I never even thought of it that way before. I use the like button a lot for posts I find interesting and/or entertaining but generally just ignore the rep shit. ... Doesn't look like I've repped you yet, and now I'm not sure whether to give you a positive for your excellent poetry and pleasant disposition or a negative for pointing out cracks in Girly's solipsistic world view. ... Aw fuck it, don't think I've ever given negative rep before (Chas can check me on this) so I guess I'll spend the rest of the day trying to figure who I should've repped because I really appreciate the totality of their contributions and haven't acknowledged it. ... Fuck, this is gonna take some time and effort.
DLJ didn't put the cracks in your solipsistic worldview, that was you. Oh, and this is you telling you that. Which means their actually are no cracks. How's that for fucking with your worldview Evil_monster