How To Not Sound Like an Asshole

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 04:47 PM
RE: How To Not Sound Like an Asshole
Christians are programmed to never question, so it's always good to ease them into the idea of thinking outside the box, without the unnecessary condescension. I found this quote one day and liked how it comes across.

"I don't want you to think like me, I just want you to think"

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 04:51 PM
(18-08-2014 04:47 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Christians are programmed to never question, so it's always good to ease them into the idea of thinking outside the box, without the unnecessary condescension. I found this quote one day and liked how it comes across.

In a way that's still condescending, though, because it implies that they aren't thinking now. And maybe they aren't, but to tell them that might come across as condescending.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-08-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure of the source or exact phrasing of this quote, but I heard something like this: "An idiot is someone who doesn't know that thing you just learned". When you have been through a series of intellectual changes don't expect those around you to follow quickly or even at all. Think about how you would have responded to your posts a few years back and be ready to speak to people where they are at rather than where you are at.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
18-08-2014, 11:28 PM
(18-08-2014 04:51 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 04:47 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Christians are programmed to never question, so it's always good to ease them into the idea of thinking outside the box, without the unnecessary condescension. I found this quote one day and liked how it comes across.

In a way that's still condescending, though, because it implies that they aren't thinking now. And maybe they aren't, but to tell them that might come across as condescending.

When I first read this I never took it as condescending. I thought of it more in the terms of trying to compel someone to question what they know, or think outside the box, versus blind faith. But yes, I can see what you mean.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
19-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the discussion.

I am in a place where I can't be silent, I don't want to insinuate that others can't think, and I don't want to be completely "out of the closet" and say that I am an atheist (I take more of an agnostic approach).

I try to use I statements as much as possible, and I guess the more that I think about it I think that there has been more negative than positive that comes out of my posts.

My biggest concern about looking like I am better than everyone else is perpetuating the "angry atheist" stereotype... but it really isn't my responsibility to make sure that I everyone is happy.

Thanks ya'll, just needed to talk this one out and all I really have is this forum Smile

[Image: slaininthespirit-3.jpg]