How about that 2 month hunger strike that the U.S. media isn't covering?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 05:28 PM
RE: How about that 2 month hunger strike that the U.S. media isn't covering?
(17-04-2013 04:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  The number of detainees refusing food is on the rise

And the situation isn't "taking care of itself" it is getting worse, prisoners are starting to protest and 15 are being force fed, and as one lawyer who represents several of the detainees said "they are skin and bones"

http://rt.com/usa/guantanamo-bay-raid-clashes-996/

Thanks for being wrong anyway... Drinking Beverage

I still don't care. I have no sympathy for sane people who self mutilate or commit suicide.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 05:30 PM
(17-04-2013 05:28 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 04:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  The number of detainees refusing food is on the rise

And the situation isn't "taking care of itself" it is getting worse, prisoners are starting to protest and 15 are being force fed, and as one lawyer who represents several of the detainees said "they are skin and bones"

http://rt.com/usa/guantanamo-bay-raid-clashes-996/

Thanks for being wrong anyway... Drinking Beverage

I still don't care. I have no sympathy for sane people who self mutilate or commit suicide.

I don't either. Do you think they would be doing this if they weren't in that prison?
17-04-2013, 05:34 PM
(17-04-2013 05:30 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 05:28 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I still don't care. I have no sympathy for sane people who self mutilate or commit suicide.

I don't either. Do you think they would be doing this if they weren't in that prison?

Of course not. But prisoners do a lot of things for attention when they aren't getting what they want. For all we know the officers could have locked up all the soccer balls or switched to Dove soap and they inmates are protesting it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-04-2013, 05:39 PM
(17-04-2013 05:34 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 05:30 PM)I and I Wrote:  I don't either. Do you think they would be doing this if they weren't in that prison?

Of course not. But prisoners do a lot of things for attention when they aren't getting what they want. For all we know the officers could have locked up all the soccer balls or switched to Dove soap and they inmates are protesting it.

Do you believe that is why they are protesting? Why don't you know why they are protesting? Drinking Beverage
17-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:I still don't care. I have no sympathy for sane people who self mutilate or commit suicide.

Has anyone seen the movie Hunger (2008)?
It's based on the true story of Bobby Sands who was an IRA (Irish republican army) member and a british prisoner.
He led the 1981 hunger strike to protest political prisoners losing their political prisoner status (actually quite a big difference between political prisoners and normal prisoners). He died after 66 days of starving himself, he was still in his 20's.

A lot of people (thinking mainly America here, not so much England) I would think, would think of this guy as perhaps a sort of hero. Someone who stood up for he believed in no matter the difficulty and price.

How is this protest in at the bay any different?

They tell me I'm the shit, I'm like 'duh...'
[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-04-2013, 08:33 PM
(17-04-2013 05:39 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 05:34 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Of course not. But prisoners do a lot of things for attention when they aren't getting what they want. For all we know the officers could have locked up all the soccer balls or switched to Dove soap and they inmates are protesting it.

Do you believe that is why they are protesting? Why don't you know why they are protesting? Drinking Beverage

I guess because the prison isn't obligated to discuss the goings on inside the prison to the public or media.

-Mark Twain
17-04-2013, 08:37 PM
(17-04-2013 06:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I still don't care. I have no sympathy for sane people who self mutilate or commit suicide.

Has anyone seen the movie Hunger (2008)?
It's based on the true story of Bobby Sands who was an IRA (Irish republican army) member and a british prisoner.
He led the 1981 hunger strike to protest political prisoners losing their political prisoner status (actually quite a big difference between political prisoners and normal prisoners). He died after 66 days of starving himself, he was still in his 20's.

A lot of people (thinking mainly America here, not so much England) I would think, would think of this guy as perhaps a sort of hero. Someone who stood up for he believed in no matter the difficulty and price.

How is this protest in at the bay any different?

I've never heard of Bobby Sands. And I still don't care. If you don't have sense to preserve your own life I have to assume you are insane. Committing suicide doesn't make you a martyr. It makes you an idiot.

-Mark Twain
17-04-2013, 09:13 PM
I disagree. To give one's life for a noble cause can have a huge effect beyond one's personal existence. There are plenty of examples in history. Some people feel strongly enough about a cause or an injustice to do this. History judges the wisdom of their decision. Even as an atheist, I can still understand and have respect for some of them.

But I do agree that giving one's life for a deity makes you an idiot.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume