How alternative medicine pushed me to atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 07:25 PM
How alternative medicine pushed me to atheism
I can't stand alt med, but it did do one great thing for me: push me away from Christianity and toward freethought. In the freethinking community, I found love and support like I'd never seen before. Here's a narrated piece that tells my story:

https://youtu.be/4jYvBp6oOX4

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2017, 07:36 PM
RE: How alternative medicine pushed me to atheism
(06-05-2017 07:25 PM)GMSkeptic Wrote:  I can't stand alt med, but it did do one great thing for me: push me away from Christianity and toward freethought. In the freethinking community, I found love and support like I'd never seen before. Here's a narrated piece that tells my story:

Don't just advertise your channel please. So far your posts all seem to just post links instead of info. And - you can embed youtube here, people often don't follow links.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-05-2017, 06:51 PM
(06-05-2017 07:25 PM)GMSkeptic Wrote:  I can't stand alt med, but it did do one great thing for me: push me away from Christianity and toward freethought. In the freethinking community, I found love and support like I'd never seen before. Here's a narrated piece that tells my story:

I hear you boss.

Comparatively, atheism wasn't really that big a deal for me, not as much as general skepticism, anyway. Partly that may be because even though I was raised in religious indoctrination, it wasn't fundamentalist religion, and I was given a pretty good science education from early on.

But I did become very curious about, in Michael Shermer's words 'why people believe weird things'. It became a strong pursuit, and I've put in a fair amount of time with woo-woos of all stripes. A lot of it, stupid though it is, I can shrug off as silly, but essentially harmless beliefs: bigfoot; extraterrestrial visitations; astrology; psychic powers; etc.

But I draw the line at quack medicine. I've seen too many people directly harmed by that -- killed by it, in some cases-- and it really pisses me off. And not just the "take these herbs for your cold" stuff, but the fake cancer cures, the psuedoscience babble to justify the expen$ive water sold by homeopaths, or the anti-vaccine crowd, the results of whose efforts we're seeing right now in the Somali communities in Minnesota.

No sympathy for quacks at all. Dodgy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
13-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Folks,

For me, alternative medicine means someone who has the time to listen to us (for a price) and maybe give us a massage or some Shiatsu. There is room for that in the world. Thumbsup

Alex.

PS - I put my Romanian dentist and Ukrainian dental hygienist in this category, especially as I get a hug from my lovely dentist. What a tonic!
14-05-2017, 12:20 PM
(13-05-2017 04:51 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Folks,

For me, alternative medicine means someone who has the time to listen to us (for a price) and maybe give us a massage or some Shiatsu. There is room for that in the world. Thumbsup

Alex.

PS - I put my Romanian dentist and Ukrainian dental hygienist in this category, especially as I get a hug from my lovely dentist. What a tonic!

There may be room for that, but it is not medicine, alternative or otherwise. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2017, 04:39 AM
(13-05-2017 04:51 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  PS - I put my Romanian dentist and Ukrainian dental hygienist in this category, especially as I get a hug from my lovely dentist. What a tonic!
As a teenager, I had to go to the Optician.

The lady who performed the eye check was SUPER hot, and was exceedingly close to my face the entire time [to check my eyes obviously]. As a 15 years old boy, I highly appreciated the opticians for once Laugh out load

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
19-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Brave for coming out like that. While your not suppose to advertise on here, I'd say you did gain a subscriber here. Tongue

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
19-05-2017, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 10:42 AM by Ruby Crystal.)

Mine story is about the same as yours. What finally pushed me over the edge was when I told my mom I saw nothing wrong with Gay people. As I had friends who were gay, and they were people to me. They were nice, they were happy, they were people just like me. Reminded me of the verse I read in a book called the 'The Giver'.

"Don't accept something as the truth just because it's coming form someone you respect."

She told me I was going to Hell because of what I believed. i started to question things, I looked for ways to know I wasn't going to Hell for thinking different. I found atheist youtubers, and slowly the foundation of my belief crumbled away. I no longer feared what was to come next... What was to happen.

And I liked it, I wasn't afraid of God's wrath, I wasn't afraid of Hell fire. For the first time, I felt free. And it is the most open of all feelings.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
19-05-2017, 10:42 AM

Alex.

While social rituals and therapeutic conversation are important parts of healthcare I'm against it being done under false pretences. Which isn't the case with dental practice, but often the case with Homeopathy.
19-05-2017, 11:09 AM
(19-05-2017 10:42 AM)Gaest Wrote:  

Alex.

While social rituals and therapeutic conversation are important parts of healthcare I'm against it being done under false pretences. Which isn't the case with dental practice, but often the case with Homeopathy.

Always the case with homeopathy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user