How are your road rage management skills?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2016, 11:38 AM
RE: How are your road rage management skills?
(25-01-2016 11:01 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 07:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm that annoying pedestrian who will step out into the road that you are about to turn into but have forgotten to signal or indicate (or whichever the word is that Murikans use).

You'll slam on your breaks and think "that was close" and assume I didn't see you.

Then I pause, turn towards you and give you a look that tells you that I damn well did see you and that I also think you're a twat and so does the rest of humanity.

Angel

Hundreds of tourists are killed annually in San Francisco trying to teach that lesson.

If they are tourists, I don't think they're trying to teach the drivers a lesson.

More likely, they are not looking in the right direction because you lot drive on the wrong side of the road.

Left is right.
Right is wrong.
Left is right.
Right is wrong.
Left is right.
Right is wrong.
Repeat after me...

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2016 12:34 PM by Adrianime.)
This was fun to read, for me at least. Although it is for my state (although it's pretty generalized), so maybe it won't be interesting for others.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/roadrage.htm

Quote:Society is moving at a faster pace now more than ever. It is possible the increased value of time is causing us to be much more aggressive on the road, especially during commuting hours. Some drivers only see the traffic ahead of them as an obstacle to overcome at any cost. When we couple this with society's becoming accustomed to instantaneous communications, the problem becomes more pronounced. Whatever the reasons may be, this attitude can place those who share the roadway in jeopardy.
Quote:According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the definitions of aggressive driving and road rage are as follows:
Aggressive Driving
"The commission of two or more moving violations that is likely to endanger other persons or property, or any single intentional violation that requires a defensive reaction of another driver."
Road Rage
"An assault with a motor vehicle or other dangerous weapon by the operator or passenger(s) of one motor vehicle on the operator or passenger(s) of another motor vehicle caused by an incident that occurred on a roadway.
Quote:Aggressive Driving & Road Rage Symptoms
Mentally condemning or thought of violence toward other drivers.
Verbally expressing condemnation of other drivers to passengers in your vehicle.
Not obeying traffic safety rules because you don't agree with them.
Engage in aggressive and risky driving:
Following too close.
Speeding.
Weaving in and out of traffic.
Speeding up to beat a traffic light.
Cutting between vehicles to change lanes.
Using the horn excessively.
Flashing headlights excessively at oncoming traffic.
Braking to get others to back off your bumper.
Passing another driver, then slowing to teach them a lesson.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-01-2016, 12:33 PM
(25-01-2016 12:30 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This was fun to read, for me at least. Although it is for my state, so maybe it won't be interesting for others.

Quote:Society is moving at a faster pace now more than ever. It is possible the increased value of time is causing us to be much more aggressive on the road, especially during commuting hours. Some drivers only see the traffic ahead of them as an obstacle to overcome at any cost. When we couple this with society's becoming accustomed to instantaneous communications, the problem becomes more pronounced. Whatever the reasons may be, this attitude can place those who share the roadway in jeopardy.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the definitions of aggressive driving and road rage are as follows:
Quote:Aggressive Driving
"The commission of two or more moving violations that is likely to endanger other persons or property, or any single intentional violation that requires a defensive reaction of another driver."
Road Rage
"An assault with a motor vehicle or other dangerous weapon by the operator or passenger(s) of one motor vehicle on the operator or passenger(s) of another motor vehicle caused by an incident that occurred on a roadway.
Quote:Aggressive Driving & Road Rage Symptoms
Mentally condemning or thought of violence toward other drivers.
Verbally expressing condemnation of other drivers to passengers in your vehicle.
Not obeying traffic safety rules because you don't agree with them.
Engage in aggressive and risky driving:
Following too close.
Speeding.
Weaving in and out of traffic.
Speeding up to beat a traffic light.
Cutting between vehicles to change lanes.
Using the horn excessively.
Flashing headlights excessively at oncoming traffic.
Braking to get others to back off your bumper.
Passing another driver, then slowing to teach them a lesson.

I'm thinking of installing a train horn so I don't have to use it excessively. Once will be sufficient.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-01-2016, 12:45 PM
(25-01-2016 12:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 12:30 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This was fun to read, for me at least. Although it is for my state, so maybe it won't be interesting for others.

I'm thinking of installing a train horn so I don't have to use it excessively. Once will be sufficient.

Sufficient to cause the person in front of you to swerve off the road... Add a cow catcher too, for pedestrians and anybody going too slow to get out of the way
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
25-01-2016, 01:02 PM
(25-01-2016 12:45 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 12:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm thinking of installing a train horn so I don't have to use it excessively. Once will be sufficient.

Sufficient to cause the person in front of you to swerve off the road... Add a cow catcher too, for pedestrians and anybody going too slow to get out of the way

Those student protestors who block the road.

'Murican Canadian
25-01-2016, 02:20 PM
(25-01-2016 12:30 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Braking to get others to back off your bumper.

That is not aggressive, it is defensive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2016, 02:29 PM
(25-01-2016 02:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 12:30 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Braking to get others to back off your bumper.

That is not aggressive, it is defensive.
It's a bit dangerous (I never do it because I don't trust people's reaction time), but note that those weren't my words, I was quoting the website.

25-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

'Murican Canadian
25-01-2016, 04:38 PM
(25-01-2016 12:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

I have seen plenty of that behavior and evidenced some of it myself. I'm not the perpetrator; I'm always just trying to get where I'm going in one piece. I like the train horn, I've considered it myself. There is/was a guy with a semi rig that had one. I've heard it a couple of times in traffic. Damned near had to pull over and do some shorts-scraping, and I was lanes away from the offending activity.

I've had other ideas for getting tailgaters off my bumper (say I'm in the carpool lane, 75 in a 65, decent distance to the vehicle ahead. The jerk behind me is a partial car length behind me, and all lanes are full.)

My favorite is to have a mock up of a 50 cal. in the trunk, and hydraulic cylinders to open the lid when someone is tailgating. Then, a bazooka speaker for sound and bright lights to simulate muzzle flash. I'd get in trouble for sure.
25-01-2016, 04:47 PM
(25-01-2016 04:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 12:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm thinking of installing a train horn so I don't have to use it excessively. Once will be sufficient.

I have seen plenty of that behavior
Oh, I thought he was completely joking. I didn't know those were a real thing. Is that legal?