How attached are you to your cell phone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 09:29 AM
RE: How attached are you to your cell phone?
(10-04-2017 04:18 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 11:49 AM)Anjele Wrote:  So, are you addicted to your cell phone?

I'm another person who doesn't own a cell phone or a smart phone. Even our landline's ringer is turned off, and we screen all of our calls through the answering machine. I use an old laptop for the internet.

We screen all calls, too! lots of calls, but no one leaves a message. Laughat I disconnected the extension in our bedroom before the election, as we were getting robocalls at all hours.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-04-2017, 10:22 AM
(10-04-2017 09:29 AM)Fireball Wrote:  We screen all calls, too! lots of calls, but no one leaves a message. Laughat I disconnected the extension in our bedroom before the election, as we were getting robocalls at all hours.

We rarely receive an honest call on our phone these days, but get several fake calls every day. Most of the important messages we receive are emails.
10-04-2017, 11:17 AM
(09-04-2017 02:14 PM)Shirina Wrote:  I don't have one. I refuse to get one. The most I'll do is a TracPhone (I think that's how it's spelled).

I won't participate in the evils that are fucking cell phones. They piss me off.

My work tried to force a Blackberry on me (is the government the only one's who still use Blackberries? First we have to save Iridium and now BlackBerry?) . I scoffed "I ain't at nobody's beck and call. Send me an email and I'll get to it when I get to it."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-04-2017, 11:23 AM
(09-04-2017 02:19 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  And I have been a "techie" since my first computer programming course in 1967.

Goddam you're old. What the fuck language was that, COBOL? IBM 360 assembly language? I don't think Fortran was even out yet. LOGO came out then though.

#sigh
10-04-2017, 12:26 PM
(10-04-2017 11:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 02:19 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  And I have been a "techie" since my first computer programming course in 1967.

Goddam you're old. What the fuck language was that, COBOL? IBM 360 assembly language? I don't think Fortran was even out yet. LOGO came out then though.
Bah! Know Thy Computer History, child! Laughat It was FORTRAN IV, which was out and about in 1961. ( Earlier versions were around in 1957.) Used on the IBM 7040 mainframe.

And any mention of COBOL around me will get you a swift kick to some sensitive body part. I was forced to program COBOL for a Business course, but was thankfully able to purge my brain of the syntax, if not the memories. I was offered a very lucrative job in 1999 revising COBOL code for the 2000 switchover.
I gave it about a half second thought and said "Oh, way to the Hell NO!" If there is a hell, and if the Tibetan Book of the Dead is correct and we create our own versions of it, mine will be an eternity of revising millions of lines of COBOL, and then waiting for it to compile.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
10-04-2017, 01:23 PM
No "attachment" at all. I've still got an "old-fashioned" mobile phone. No WI-fi etc. Who needs it?

I only use my phone very occasionally to make a voice call, and/or receive one. I think I made my last call probably... um... before Christmas last year. And because it's never normally turned on, its battery lasts about 6 months without charging. Undecided

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
10-04-2017, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 06:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-04-2017 12:26 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Goddam you're old. What the fuck language was that, COBOL? IBM 360 assembly language? I don't think Fortran was even out yet. LOGO came out then though.
Bah! Know Thy Computer History, child! Laughat It was FORTRAN IV, which was out and about in 1961. ( Earlier versions were around in 1957.) Used on the IBM 7040 mainframe.

And any mention of COBOL around me will get you a swift kick to some sensitive body part. I was forced to program COBOL for a Business course, but was thankfully able to purge my brain of the syntax, if not the memories. I was offered a very lucrative job in 1999 revising COBOL code for the 2000 switchover.
I gave it about a half second thought and said "Oh, way to the Hell NO!" If there is a hell, and if the Tibetan Book of the Dead is correct and we create our own versions of it, mine will be an eternity of revising millions of lines of COBOL, and then waiting for it to compile.

First language I used professionally was Ada. It was way ahead of it's time with thread-safety and generics and classes and scoping built-in. Took c and c++ years to catch up. Think they still use pthreads. C#, Java and R now.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-04-2017, 06:14 PM
I learned to program first on one of these, in '69:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programma_101
10-04-2017, 06:21 PM
(10-04-2017 06:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I learned to program first on one of these, in '69:

I learned on a PDP-8
4KB main memory (12-bit words)
teletype w/paper tape for I/O

I still remember a lot of the machine code instructions... I can't remember important stuff but 7402 will forever mean "halt" to me
Weeping

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
10-04-2017, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 06:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-04-2017 06:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 06:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I learned to program first on one of these, in '69:

I learned on a PDP-8
4KB main memory (12-bit words)
teletype w/paper tape for I/O

I still remember a lot of the machine code instructions... I can't remember important stuff but 7402 will forever mean "halt" to me
Weeping

Goddam there are a lot of programmers on here. Any other Stallman fans? "The desire to be rewarded for one's creativity does not justify depriving the world in general of all or part of that creativity."

[Image: otrona-attache1_zpsyqnaudba.jpg]

#sigh