How attached are you to your cell phone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 02:31 AM
RE: How attached are you to your cell phone?
I have a mobile phone but I almost never use it - on average about half a dozen texts and one phone call a year. The screen is far too small to play games on, so I use an iPad Pro for that, and the capacity is too low to hold much in the way of music, so I use an iPod for that. The phone can be useful to act as a tethered wi-fi device for use with the iPad. Other than that, I use the phone to take photographs of my gas and electricity meter readings once a month since the meters are not easily accessible. I have a selfie stick that works well for the exercise.

It may have been an error to use the term mobile (rather than cell) phone in the UK. I am convinced that there are people who think they only work if you are moving about: I have seen users get up from their desks, stroll around the office talking on their phones and then sit down again when the call is terminated.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Norm Deplume's post
11-04-2017, 06:17 AM
(11-04-2017 02:31 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  It may have been an error to use the term mobile (rather than cell) phone in the UK. I am convinced that there are people who think they only work if you are moving about: I have seen users get up from their desks, stroll around the office talking on their phones and then sit down again when the call is terminated.

Same here, except that they tend to wander around outside and into traffic.

"Mobile" might have been a better choice than calling them "cell" phones. We (USA) have a big problem with them being smuggled into jails and prisons so that the residents can look out for their "business interests" while incarcerated.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
13-04-2017, 03:19 PM
I'm not attached to mine when I first got one I was on the road and needed it for calls from people or companies that had work for me. Now that I am retired I only keep it in case my wife, who's house bound, needs me. Other than that the only things I use it for is appointments, food lists and to find the time.

I would be entirely happy to be mobile-less. Can't see the silly utility or necessity of texting, of social things, Facebook, and all the other things it can be used for.

[Image: NumxbxF.gif?zoom=2]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
13-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Completely attached to it. I use it all day long I have a Bluetooth in my ear and I'm using talk-to-text right now.
13-04-2017, 03:35 PM
I count calories and log my exercise in a fitness app, and I monitor my heart rate while I'm on the treadmill.
13-04-2017, 04:26 PM
"Cell phone" ?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
13-04-2017, 05:23 PM
(13-04-2017 04:26 PM)Dr H Wrote:  "Cell phone" ?

A cell phone is something convicts are queuing up for.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
13-04-2017, 05:32 PM
They can have it when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
13-04-2017, 06:03 PM
(11-04-2017 02:31 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  I have a mobile phone but I almost never use it - on average about half a dozen texts and one phone call a year. The screen is far too small to play games on, so I use an iPad Pro for that, and the capacity is too low to hold much in the way of music, so I use an iPod for that. The phone can be useful to act as a tethered wi-fi device for use with the iPad. Other than that, I use the phone to take photographs of my gas and electricity meter readings once a month since the meters are not easily accessible. I have a selfie stick that works well for the exercise.

It may have been an error to use the term mobile (rather than cell) phone in the UK. I am convinced that there are people who think they only work if you are moving about: I have seen users get up from their desks, stroll around the office talking on their phones and then sit down again when the call is terminated.

I almost always walk around while I'm talking on the phone. It's weirdly uncomfortable for me to sit during a call. Even back in the days of phones attached to walls with those cords that got all twisted up, I'd take however many steps that short leash allowed.