How bad is "coming out" really?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2011, 12:27 PM
How bad is "coming out" really?
Hello people. Smile

I just recently started listening to the hour (ish) long shows on TTA's Youtube account, and I must say that I'm a bit surprised at some of the stories from the callers on the show.
I already knew that the US was way more religious than Denmark (Where I live.) but I really didn't think it was THAT bad, and I find it kinda hard to believe tbh.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to ask the Americans here if it's true or if it's simply another case of exaggeration and loud minorities like in the case of all the "Stupid Americans" videos etc. on Youtube.
I know Americans aren't all morons like those videos would like us to believe so it really made me wonder if the extreme stories told by atheists on the TTA shows are also just the "rare extremes" or if things actually ARE that bad for atheists over there..?

Do you really risk losing your families, losing your job, getting beat up etc. if you "come out" as an atheist? It sounds downright insane to me.

I'm an atheist (Obviously.) and I don't mind making fun of religion in my daily life. Actually, I kinda enjoy it. Wink
I've never even been yelled at for being an atheist. It's simply not an issue here in Denmark. I don't know a single person who actually goes to church... And that's not an exaggeration.
That's probably why I find it so hard to believe the stories about mothers crying, families getting destroyed etc.

TL;DR - Do you really risk losing your job, your family, your friends, getting beat up etc. if you "come out" as an atheist in the US?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2011, 03:33 PM
RE: How bad is "coming out" really?
Yeah you really do, at least in parts. I haven't had too much trouble with it but i seriously get branded bad for being one even when I'm also intersexed. People always care more about my non-christian stuff. Some people are extremes, but the issues Seth has are quite common. When I listen to the podcasts I generally relate to the issues being mentioned. be glad you don't live in a place where something like this is such a huge issue.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
30-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I've not had it too bad (yet, only friends and immediate family know - grandparents are clueless). My dad refuses to discuss anything and leaves the room as soon as I make a point that's too frustrating for him... My mom debates, but uses some of the cliched arguments. No "you're going to hell" comments, but instead I'm treated as if I'm just going through a phase and need to "own my own faith." What's most annoying is whatever good happens for me gets attributed to God... If I get promoted, I've been blessed by God. Yet God wasn't responsible for my wreck, he's why it wasn't worse Rolleyes

Better without God, and happier too.
30-10-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm grateful I don't live in a place that's like that. I'm quite happy to tell people what I think if I'm asked. If they have a problem with that then that's their problem, not mine. Fuck them. I just laugh when, and if, they tell me they go to church or if they mention that 'god' has been in their lives for whatever reason. They can take that however they like.
30-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I initially faced some problems when I came right out and said I was an Atheist but for the most part those problems stopped the moment I showed that I wasn't doing it out of spite or hate.

I have two uncles that are ministers and while the discourse is civil the rest of the family is slowing starting to realize that I actually have a better idea of the bible then most trained ministers do (a fact I attribute to actually giving a damn if what I beleive is real or not) and almost everyone in my immediate family has started speaking out against religion as well.

I only had a problem until I started yelling back and standing up for what I beleive with cold hard fact rather then 1st century fiction. I did lose some friends and family to it but my relationships with others have grown much stronger as a result of taking a stand against what I saw as wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
30-10-2011, 09:30 PM
There's only one person whose opinion of me holds any weight whatsoever. Luckily for me, that person and I both fell out of good graces with religion when my dad died due to a erroneous medical diagnosis. I had no qualms discussing my atheism with her. Since starting college, I've made no effort to hide my atheism, and no one has given me any grief about it. This might be one of the fringe benefits of attending a technical institution, but it's true nonetheless.

I've only made an effort to keep my atheism hidden from my grandmother on my father's side. It's not that I'm ashamed, or that I'm worried she'll hold it against me, it's that she doesn't have much longer, and I don't want to tell an overtly religious elderly woman that the only son of her only son renounces her beliefs.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
[+] 1 user Likes Michael's post
31-10-2011, 09:15 AM

When I saw the name of this thread, I assumed sexuality.
Which is not the case.
But, I can refer to this, with a sexuality outburst.
If you tell someone that you are now a different sexuality, yes they're going to be stunned.
And the same with your religion.
They are both a lifestyle.
Neither one of them affects your life more.
They both have the same impact on you, in my eyes.
Just my thought.
Bisexual. ^-^
Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm in England, coming out as changing your sexuality or religious views are pretty minor things over here.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
31-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Ouch. I was kinda hoping that those extreme (to me anyway) stories would be very rare, but I guess the Americans are even more religious than I previously thought.

I know it sounds a bit wrong, but I must admit that it makes me feel happy about living in Denmark. I would just hate having to deal with such issues all the time. Confused

Last Christmas I was telling my entire family about all the religious BS over Christmas dinner. People just assume Christmas is Jesus' birthday, so they were a bit surprised to learn that the holiday is way older than Christianity. No one complained though, so I guess my family likes facts more than random fairy tales.
Christmas is simply a tradition to us though, so we will continue celebrating it forever probably, and I really don't mind. Just because something has certain religious ties doesn't mean I automatically hate it. If I enjoy something, I enjoy it. Religious holiday or not. Smile

My brother (also pretty anti-theistic) once joked about us all going to church at Christmas and the entire family just laughed at him. Not even my grand parents thought it was a serious suggestion.
That's a pretty good indication of how Danes generally look at religion, I'd say. I hope the US will get to that point as well eventually.

I've talked to a lot of Americans online during the years (I'm a gamer.) and they seem so similar to us Danes in most ways, so it's just plain weird that we're SO different when it comes to religion. Huh
31-10-2011, 07:09 PM
(31-10-2011 05:47 PM)Gnawer Wrote:  Ouch. I was kinda hoping that those extreme (to me anyway) stories would be very rare, but I guess the Americans are even more religious than I previously thought.

I know it sounds a bit wrong, but I must admit that it makes me feel happy about living in Denmark. I would just hate having to deal with such issues all the time. Confused

Last Christmas I was telling my entire family about all the religious BS over Christmas dinner. People just assume Christmas is Jesus' birthday, so they were a bit surprised to learn that the holiday is way older than Christianity. No one complained though, so I guess my family likes facts more than random fairy tales.
Christmas is simply a tradition to us though, so we will continue celebrating it forever probably, and I really don't mind. Just because something has certain religious ties doesn't mean I automatically hate it. If I enjoy something, I enjoy it. Religious holiday or not. Smile

My brother (also pretty anti-theistic) once joked about us all going to church at Christmas and the entire family just laughed at him. Not even my grand parents thought it was a serious suggestion.
That's a pretty good indication of how Danes generally look at religion, I'd say. I hope the US will get to that point as well eventually.

I've talked to a lot of Americans online during the years (I'm a gamer.) and they seem so similar to us Danes in most ways, so it's just plain weird that we're SO different when it comes to religion. Huh

Don't feel bad/wrong. I'm almost ready to move there (well, one of the countries over there at least)! Lol, too bad I don't know any languages but english.

Better without God, and happier too.