How bad was 2016 for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: How bad was 2016 for you?
Oh, let me count the ways...

I can only hope that 2017 is better...it almost has to be. Confused

This year has been worse that the year following my cancer diagnosis in many ways. I was confident that the cancer thing could be taken care of. All the things that have happened this year have blindsided me and been all over the map. I haven't been this excited about a new year since I was young and partying to ring it in.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2016, 04:47 PM
On a personal/family level, a pretty good year. On the national level, of course it was a debacle.

Husband went from a job he hated to one he loves, for significantly more money, and he got a fancy new bike that he's enjoying.
Son graduated from high school, got his drivers license, got into college, and so far is handling his freshman year very well. We cashed out his college savings account a week before a major market downturn, so that worked out well, too, in terms of paying his tuition.
I performed a concerto twice (fun, scary), got some new teaching jobs at better pay, made about three-quarters of a CD before the project was canned (but learned a lot in the process), had my vocal group switch personnel around in a way that's made it much better and more enjoyable, made a couple of next-level auditions (also had a couple that I didn't make, but performed and prepared well, so I don't feel too bad about them), had fun starting to get back into writing, made some new friends, read a few really wonderful books, and finally broke off contact with my father.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
06-12-2016, 05:00 PM
(06-12-2016 04:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 03:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Best year ever.

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.” --- Vivian Greene

Yeah but you're gay happy.

We say "happy". Big Grin
As in "I think he's happy".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-12-2016, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 06:11 PM by Shai Hulud.)
I feel so bad for so many folks after reading through the 4 pages. Hug Sorry to those who lost someone.

Pros: It's been mixed...got a publication at the beginning of the year. Got asked to be the Best Man at a friend's wedding. Lost a lot of weight and started eating better. My dad retired, thus alleviating the fear that he'd die of a heart attack at his Rite Aid job like his best friend did. Taken a lot of wonderful long walks down by the lake; also went to game night a lot this summer at a friend's (though once the semester hit, all our schedules went to crap). Colonoscopy went okay!

Cons: Been to the hospital more times this year than in my life. Was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and Diabetes. I owe my parents about $600 thanks to said medical bills, which isn't fun at 30. A friend has cancer. Job stress. Lost a friendship of 15 years. Had a cousin cheat on her husband and then go through a nasty divorce. Can't shake the feeling that I'm faking it until I make it, in so many ways.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Sucks hard.
06-12-2016, 06:36 PM
It was not so bad, other than work. Then today came along. I start the truck and is sounds awful. sounds like 5 out of 6 firing. I warm it up a bit and see if it smooths out. Just a short errand to do, right? Slow speeds, no freeway, no biggie.
I got rear ended Tongue
I swear it is Monday somewhere, on some planet at the end of the universe.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
06-12-2016, 07:09 PM
(06-12-2016 06:36 PM)skyking Wrote:  It was not so bad, other than work. Then today came along. I start the truck and is sounds awful. sounds like 5 out of 6 firing. I warm it up a bit and see if it smooths out. Just a short errand to do, right? Slow speeds, no freeway, no biggie.
I got rear ended Tongue
I swear it is Monday somewhere, on some planet at the end of the universe.

I feel your pain, my truck died a while ago, spent 700$ just trying to figure out what's wrong with it before I gave up on it and bought a car. A nice comfortable car with heat. So if your truck does end up dying look on the bright side, at least you'll get a new horse to ride on. If you got rear ended though was that the other guys fault or your fault?
06-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Her fault. I felt bad for her, her car was not driveable, my truck was essentially fine. Probably get a new bumper support, hitch, and bumper out of the deal.
06-12-2016, 07:23 PM
(06-12-2016 07:16 PM)skyking Wrote:  Her fault. I felt bad for her, her car was not driveable, my truck was essentially fine. Probably get a new bumper support, hitch, and bumper out of the deal.

Now before you do that, have you considered setting the money aside and seeing how your truck fairs first? That way if it dies you'll have a good amount saved up for another vehicle? Or is that not how it works? I've only been in once accident in my life when my car got totaled (which was not my fault).
06-12-2016, 07:31 PM
This is a keeper, we will overhaul the engine. I have a new clutch to put in it, ironically. Now we will insert a rebuild in front of that clutch.
The wreck is inconsequential, maybe $2000 damage.